1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Senior member

I'm thinking of buying a pair of the PTB's with the commando soles. Are they worth it for the PTB's, or are they more suited for boots?

2. advan031

advan031 Senior member

Thanks for the tip but they don't have my size...doh The lady (who sounds very nice and helpful) said they will get some soon.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Might have been Kathy (who is the manager if I remember correctly). She is very helpful and since the cigar cap toe boot is one of their "special" boots, it might be worth dropping a deposit for your size.

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Getting started early

I am going to slow down on Alden orders going forward. I am on lists for the ravello hunting boot from Tassels and a cigar longwing from Alden of Carmel (though I may cancel the longwing order). I need a black cordovan shoe (looking at the monk straps from Leather Soul) and maybe something in snuff suede but for the most part I think my collection is almost complete.

consider black full strap

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello wt boots
    argyles otc

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It looks like you're really thinking about it.

I would go for the commando sole. I don't think it looks bad, and I'm hard on the toes of my shoes.

7. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

I like it on my PTBs but I work in a business casual environment. These were a one off I luckily came across so not sure where you can purchase. Might want to ask Adam at AoC or buy the regular 990 and send to B. Nelson to add a commando sole...

8. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

the commando sole on boots has grown on me, and I would do that, but would not do commando on shoes. I would get leather, have a vibram layer put on top, and eventually resole with dainite. this would look much better than commando on shoes (as it does on boots imo). commando is slightly more functional though on snow/ice so there are always tradeoffs

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I agree with you. When I wore tailored clothes to the office every day, I wouldn't have considered it. Now that I'm business casual most days, and living in snowy Michigan, the commando is my prefered sole for boots and bluchers.

10. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

Breaking in my new cigar indy's.......I think I'm going to like these! Also my first venture into the world of shell.......I may require more[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. stevent

stevent Senior member

Here's my collection, started about a month and a half ago. Decided to keep the 403s and got the Ravello Plain Toes on a Modified last today from interlockingny. Quick question, as they were seconds, the right one looks a bit lighter than the left. Will they even out in color after wearing? (Guessing it's from a store display so lightened by sun?)

404, Ravello, 403
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

either or both?

13. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Very nice. Where do you get those? I'm looking for a Cigar Indy boot with commando sole.

14. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

they are from theshoemart, they appear to only have size 10 and 12 in stock right now, lucky for me I'm a 10....

truebalance last, commando sole, nine eyelets

15. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

J gilbert is working on cigar indy with commando sole.

16. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Regarding your mismatched Revello boots - they will both lighten as you wear them. Probably they should trend towards being more similar in color. Even if they don't, I have first quality #8 shoes that differ in color at least that much.

They look very nice.

17. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

My ever growing collection

[​IMG]

Top=Suede Chukka, Obscura Captoe Boot, Suede Chukka
    Bottom=Obscura CapToe, LS Suede PTB, LS FLex LWB, 966

Hopefully by mid year I should have a pair of LS Ultimate CXL Jumpers and a pair of unlined suede penny loafers.
    Wish List=Leffot #8 LWB, Cigar LWB & Leffot Natural CXL LWB

18. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Modest Collection:
    [​IMG]
    Blue Suede LWB and Brown Cap Toe Bals on Modified
    [​IMG]
    Whiskey NST, Cigar NST, Ravello LWB, Cigar LWB
    [​IMG]
    #4 Atom, Black LWB BBBF, #8 Ultimate Jumper Boot Resoled, #8 Cap Toe Boot on Modified
    [​IMG]

Just sold my modified lasted burgundy calf NST, but awaiting a few pairs of shoes and boots on pre-order that should be in relatively soon!

19. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Senior member

I am looking at also purchasing a Whiskey LWB. I noticed that the style # for the Whiskey LWB from Alden of Carmel (AF21) is different from what appears to be the shoe (and same sole) at The Shoe Mart (97891). Is there a difference between the two, or are they the same shoe but just made specifically for the two stores? Thanks...

20. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

In on Alden Photo Day.

Natural CXL Indys, Pure Blue Japan xx009, Barbour International

[​IMG]

Currently unavailable for photo:

Shell 974s in #8 (at home), Shell LWB in Cigar (in the mail).

Three acquisitions in a month. I've been bitten. Caution to all those who follow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.