***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Not a huge fan but they are easier to put on and take off. My boots without speed hooks get less wear.....because I am usually running late and it takes just slightly longer to lace. Here are my problems with speed laces:

Looks
    They eat laces
    They bend
    They snag on trousers
    They can rip off

I REALLY wish that Alden would switch to the speedlace system from the Army:

[​IMG]

2. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

[​IMG]

Love those things. I think they are on the Grant last, and fit perfectly. I have another pair of shoes on the Grant last which go from fitting perfectly to being a little too tight in the toe box on the left shoe. ODD.

3. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Just wake up earlier.

4. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Those army speed laces are awesome. I know the boot is ugly but the speed lacing is great,

But I am getting used to the classic lacing on boots anyway.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Fromthe seconds list:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

5. bah0916

bah0916 Active Member

pretty sure there is something just like it on the shoe mart seconds list this month

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

"pikcha me rollin'"

[​IMG]

7. JPFNY5

JPFNY5 Senior member

Could someone please pm me the shoemart list for 12-12 1/2? It would be greatly appreciated.

8. wj4

wj4 Senior member

How many of you guys actually buy Alden 2nds on a regular basis? I'm asking because I will see something nice every now and then. But I see the price is only discounted around $150-200 or so, and in my mind, I would rather spend the extra money on a pair that I truly want.

I'd see something like suede Chukkas at $XXX.XX, I'm tempted...but at retail, it wouldn't even cross my mind.

9. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

im in the same boat every time ... i cant pull the trigger on a pair

10. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

That's correct. It's part of the quirkiness of the seconds list-- misspelled words and incorrect last listings. For the most part the lasts listings are correct, but I have noticed quite a few shoes listed incorrectly,particularly on the shoes that are unique makeups for other Alden sellers. Apparently the shoes aren't the only thing that should be considered seconds :D

11. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Wear your damn boots.
    [​IMG]

12. Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki Member

Hello,

What shop are these indy boots & buluchers sold in ?
    Please teach the details of the shop.

13. terradilavoro

terradilavoro Senior member

same same with me - i would be lucky to catch a pair from the 2nd list - even with the discount prices it must satisfy my taste/size......like the Whisky Shortwing SF Edition

cheerio Joachim

14. terradilavoro

terradilavoro Senior member

These pics are from the menswear fashion fair Pitti Immagine Uomo in Florence 2011. I am really curious to see them in real Cheerio

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

15. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I think it is important to get exactly what you want. I purchased a pair of whiskey wintips and NEVER wore them, because I wanted a whiskey longwing. I finally traded them in for a pair of ravello longwings and was very lucky yo pick up a pair of whiskey longwings from the seconds list. It is kind of interesting because it looks like the whiskey longwings were firsts which someone may have worn a couple of times or just creased. When I got them they had a topy, but I liked that. Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

I have a few seconds:

Whiskey Longwings - Wanted, was a great deal and I am very happy

Snuff Suede plain toe boots w/crepe sole - Was not on my list. Noticed some flaws but nothing that effects the overall boot. Wear them and like them. Allowed me to try a crepe sole, which I will probably avoid in the future.

#8 Shell Cap toe boot on modified last without speed laces - Was not on my list. Allowed me to try modified last and a boot without speed laces. There are some leather flaws but I am going to wear the heck out of them and let them get some nice patina anyway. Glad I got them.

White suede PTB as second and White Suede Saddle Shoe at DEEP discount - Not on my list but interest was rising at the time. I am happy I have both of these shoes. I have been wearing the saddle shoes and seeing how they work out. I have tried them sockless. Fun shoe to experiment with. Glad I got a pair. DO NOT NEED TWO! :lol:

For seconds and rare shell I am a little more cautious then I used to be. I will not buy something that is not exactly what I want now. Despite the hype the rare shell stuff does come around and there is a fair amount of selection. Price is not an issue but closet space and rotation are. If I get a shoe and never wear it then it is taking up closet space or even worse I will buy the shoe I really wanted and that shoe will get little to no wear.

Do not settle!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.