***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Looking great Porter! The antique edge trim really makes for a nice makeup.

2. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Ravello Medallion Cap Toes on the Plaza…first voyage using the break in procedure.
    [​IMG]

3. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Love the ram's head medallion on the Plaza

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

5. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Not really. It is a penny loafer which can hide a lot of flaws with the shell, I am not sure of the quality, they are made to order so they do not have the overhead of holding inventory and the most important thing is that they are only offering one shoe in whiskey shell. Kind of a let down, but I guess it is a nice try.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

They would make any shoe on that website in any color shell you see listed, and probably others as well. The fact that they're MTO is a plus. Any sole, leather, eyelet combination you want is available.

7. Leighlon

Leighlon Well-Known Member

Recommendations for break in procedure are found where?

Also I need a recommendation for polishing Whiskey shell cordovan.

Taken from Alden of Carmel: http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/care_of_shell_cordovan.htm
    Here are the "don'ts" of shell cordovan care:
    1. Do not use 'neutral' polish

Alden NYC sent me neutral.

Mixed signals to say the least.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  8. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I really liked those Ravello Day Tripper boots that Leffot had that a few of the users had posted up a few pages back. Thankfully they are already sold out!

9. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

I will let you know the quality, going to try on a pair of Rancourt for Brooks Brothers Beefroll (Calf) Penny Loafers tonight. I had my eye on that Whiskey pair if these calf penny loafers work out.

10. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

+1 - wish that last fit me.

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I've got a pair of Rancourt beefroll loafers made for Ralph Lauren. They're okay.
    They're nice enough but feel somewhat insubstantial next to an Alden. I would say the calf ones are well worth the $255 Rancourt is selling them for (or the $225 I paid to Ralph for mine).
    I wouldn't pay $500 for the shell ones although they do have green and navy shell available which made me at least think about it.

Rancourt also make the double buckle Ralph loafer and I suspect the single buckle one too.

Sizing is a bit funky on them too. I sized down 1/2 since I was going to wear them sockless. Now that they're worn in, they even fit a bit loose with a medium sock. However if I went to a smaller size, I'm pretty sure they'd be too short and/or pinchy in the toes.

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I believe Rancourt makes the shell venetian loafers that Leffot sells under their own name. Keep in mind these are true mocs, not a goodyear welted shoe with a fake moc toe like the LHS. They should be a good deal softer and lighter than the Alden offering.

13. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

I was recently in NOMAD (in Toronto) to see what they had in the way of Alden shoes and they have a few of these on sale. I believe they are 30% off right now. Not sure of how many are left though.
    Might be worth a shot for some of us in the Toronto area looking for a suede shoe.

[​IMG]

14. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

To take care of shell do what I do which is now based on the Mac Method as interpreted by Srivats:

Source: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...27-Mac-method-for-shell&p=1067020#post1067020

I found this which I never had read about before:

Source:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...n-is-just-not-for-me...&p=1065469#post1065469

Also this is a description of the pencil method from Tom as explained by Srivats:

15. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

But they are all loafers and Mocs....which I do not think is a fair way to compare Alden quality with shell as, and I am speaking out of my ass here, the pieces do not have to be as large and can cover up the flaws. Also I notice they do not state they get their shell from Horween....they may but if they get it from another party pricing and quality may be different.
    Sounds good. Thank you.
    Thanks for the info zippyh!
    This is neither good or bad. I was looking for a Beefroll Mocc and would like something a little more structured. I really do not think I would get shell over brown Chromexcel. Thanks for all the input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.