• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone post a pic of their Aldens? :D

Two year old Cigar shell PTB's. Lots of use:

Plus repost:

Alden Snuff suede PTB w/crepe soul and friend:

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NYR - I think you're dead wrong on this issue. I own 7 pairs of Alden shoes some of which have been purchased over 10 years ago. I own both cigar and ravello shell shoes and neither have had any discoloring issues or construction issues. Some of these are on their 3rd resoling and are by far my favorite shoes in the collection. Being from New England I also like to give business to a local company that still makes quality items here in the USA. None of these current quality issues had ever been present until every single hipster with a macbook pro and a fixed gear bike decided Alden was the "cool" shoe to own. It seems like Alden can't keep up with demand and is sacrificing quality for $$$, and I'm not the only long time Alden wearer saying this. I think these issues should be brought to the attention of the forum, who accounts for quite a large percentage of Alden customers. That's if any long time Alden guys still browse these forums, or maybe it's just a bunch of brand worshiping hipsters that think Alden could never do anything wrong?
FWIW - I would have no problem at all if said line was towards the heel on one of my shoes but I really think it's inexcusable to let that pair out of the factory with a line through the entire toe box, and you wouldn't have to hire any addition personnel to notice something like that.

I appreciate this. I may be one of those "hipsters" (I'd like to think not, but its my age group) and I understand. When my great grandfather came to this country in 1906 he settled in revere and worked in the Massachusetts shoe making industry. Its one of the reason I love Alden, they're pne f the few that remain. I also think that Alden is great because they offer more variety in shell than ANY other maker. Period. This combined with the fact that I can get a pair second hand for around $400 makes it affordable for someone like me. So thats why I "worship" the brand for better or worse, and my MacBook's on its way out...I've spent too much money on shoes and not enough on a more recent laptop...:)

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This (perhaps regular?) post is just wondering if there's any more interest in a non-Barrie last shell LWB custom order. We have four people who have spoken of their interest, and if others do, maybe we could get something organized!

HorseHide

Reaction score

Do people use Saphir Renovateur on shell?

Yes - I'm not sure if I heard it directly from Ron Rider or if it was attributed to him but I understand he recommends it (and this is a guy that knows leather and leather finishes).

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

enigma77

Reaction score
Do people use Saphir Renovateur on shell?

Renovateur and Venetian Shoe Cream are all I use on shell.

EDIT: Roughly speaking, Renovateur for conditioning. Venetian for shine, although each item does both.

Last edited:

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow.. this is just perfect for me on Cigar. Is it just with brushing?

Early on I used brown shoe cream and wax. It took a while to get the wax off. Lots of time brushing and buffing with a cloth. Last month I did use Renovateur which makes them look even better. but i was concerned it was a decision I would regret later which is why I asked. These have ALWAYS been a great looking shoe but I did not want wax on my cordovan because it collects dust and gathers in creases. They buffed up really well before the Renovateur.

I wear these with slacks and jeans.

Last edited:

REguy

Reaction score
My RL Darltons water spot like crazy if I get caught in the rain. I let them dry, hit them with some Reno, and they glow nicer than when they were new.

k11

Reaction score

Early on I used brown shoe cream and wax. It took a while to get the wax off. Lots of time brushing and buffing with a cloth. Last month I did use Renovateur which makes them look even better. but i was concerned it was a decision I would regret later which is why I asked. These have ALWAYS been a great looking shoe but I did not want wax on my cordovan because it collects dust and gathers in creases. They buffed up really well before the Renovateur.
I wear these with slacks and jeans.

Thanks again, it takes for a while to the condition If I buy the new ones in cigar. But I now think It may be better on cordovan without any wax or something but just brushing. I am going to do that on my next pair from ALDEN. Thanks

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know others posted the same shoe since we all received them about the same time but here are mine

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've actually tried on a pair of Indy's in the modified last (went with my brannock size) and they were hands down the best fitting shoe i've ever had the luck of setting my foot into, simply a perfect fit!! unfortunately the color and leather were not what i was looking for ( they were blue suede ) also the banana shape is kind of, well different, for lack of a better term! but again the fit was so spot on as opposed to TB where i'm in between sizes..

Where are you guys finding Indies in a modified last?

CTYGGG

Reaction score
I've actually tried on a pair of Indy's in the modified last (went with my brannock size) and they were hands down the best fitting shoe i've ever had the luck of setting my foot into, simply a perfect fit!! unfortunately the color and leather were not what i was looking for ( they were blue suede ) also the banana shape is kind of, well different, for lack of a better term! but again the fit was so spot on as opposed to TB where i'm in between sizes..

Where are you guys finding Indies in a modified last?

The Moulded Shoe is king of the modified. Here's a link…
http://mouldedshoe.com/indyandchukkaboots.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads