***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

+1
    +1 Look up the pencil trick for more controlled creasing.
    They look like cigar or possibly very old #8, but I would bet on Cigar.

As for whiskey I would just brush. Brush a lot. I would not put wax on for months. I have whiskey and the wax seems to attract dust which then gathers and makes a darker areas. Just brush and wear and then brush when you take them off. I would also use a separate brush for my lighter colored shoes.
    Magnificent beasts. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is not like there are no alternatives. I understand that some people have legit problems but when people come here to cry on my shoulder about every little issue it gets old. I am not your mommy, do not come crying to me, I have REAL problems.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

2. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Hi, I wish I had a better answer for you. Some lasts will never work for you. I am not sure if this is the case here but I had the same problem with the Darlton Wingtip where the 10 was really tight and the 10.5 was a little loose. I went with the 10.5 and though I wear the hell out of them I do notice they are looser. Since the boots you are looking at are calf(?) and a boot I think the situation is different.

I feel that the calf with stretch a little more BUT because it is a boot that the looser fit will make less of a difference. If you go the size up you could put some inserts in to possibly snug it up a little. There may be another option. Look for the boots you are looking at in Barrie. They are slightly different lasts. Good luck.

3. mrstarks

mrstarks Senior member

Would like to add to this, I wear clarks in a 9.5 UK - Desert boots and Desert khans- and I got my Aldens in 9.5 UK, Trubalance last and fits perfect. I tried on the 9 but felt that bit tighter. The 9.5 fitted like a glove. I guess this advice will be helpful to the clarks heads.

4. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Personally, I never trudge "below urinals and toilets" in shell cordovan (and especially in the lighter shades...); that's what chromexcel was made for. :D

5. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

If you're trudging "below urinals and toilets," don't you think sloppy and errant Alden needle holes (like those below) might allow such unwanted liquid matter into the shoe?

[​IMG]

6. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

You never piss when you wear shell cordovan?

7. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Shell cordovan has many magical properties but limiting your urine production (and the corresponding need to evacuate said production) isn't one of them. I just try to avoid the "trudging below" part. Speaking of "trudging below", where is Larry Craig these days?

8. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Does it make me menopausal that I laughed (out loud) at this?

9. mens gaga

mens gaga Well-Known Member

Happy Alden[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

10. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

just bought this off the bay. shell for low 200+usd shipped to asia? just hope its in good condition!

[​IMG]

11. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Modified last FTW. BTW, the Trubalance is wider at the forefoot than the barrie, and slimmer in the waist and ball. The Barrie is not "huger" all around - not even close. I am a perfect 10 in TB, and really an ill-fitting 10D in barrie. I will be selling two very special Pitt boots because of this, sadly.

12. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

What are these? Cigar? Barrie last? Really dig these.

13. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

If you read some of his posts you may assume he sits when he pees. ;)

14. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Those are a 100% pure awesome with a little sweat and outdoors thrown on top.

15. Burton

Burton Senior member

Most of you guys should just stay away from Shell Cordovan. It is an imperfect material which has natural spots of discoloration. If you can't handle this you should purchase only shoes made of calf. As to the stitching issues which Alden is famous for, this group gives them way too much of a pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.