Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

The line on your whiskey's isn't as bad as the one on my chukka boots, yours doesn't go through the entire toe box and YES it looks like shit on yours too. That sig has been there for almost a year and I rarely visit the forums enough these days to change it. I must be the only person who's encountered quality issues with Alden as of late though :sarcasm:.

I'll give Alden one more chance on these when the next shipment arrives, it seems like every time I get a chance at them they've all been picked through. FYI - the 1st pair I bought with the stretch marks was also returned by another SF member, so looks like I'm not the only one.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

2. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Just because I do not cry about it as much as you does not mean they are not equally noticeable. I mean I see the stretch marks but the other shoe I do not even see what you are talking about.

The marks on the lighter shades of shell are a well known characteristic and why a lot of manufacturers will not even deal with it.

Do me a favor and don’t “Give Alden on more chance”. Go Edward Green or Rider Boot co and get what you want…..everyone will be happier in the long run.

3. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

No problem. I was just surprised. Good luck. :)

4. mens gaga

mens gaga Well-Known Member

alden​

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

5. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

Hey Folks,

Wanted to provide an update. Alden shipped me a replacement pair of 990s.

The first photo is a defect on the original shoe that I didn't post earlier. It's a strange pinhole blemish that could let it in moisture.

The 2nd photo is a closeup of the replacement shoe Alden sent. It has some dark discoloration blemishes that look like stain droplets.

Maybe I'm too picky, but this is a pricey "investment" shoe that I want to keep many years. Has Alden's Quality Control taken a slide or am I imagining things?

After this ordeal, I'm tempted to send the replacement pair back to Alden, get a full refund and instead buy a pair of the Allen Edmonds Leeds shell cordovan. Does anyone have the A/E Leeds and if so, how do they compare to the Alden 990s? Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

6. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

You're right, you could potentially own this shoe for 30+ years. If you're having doubts, return it.

However, I think that those spots are temporary and you won't see them after wearing these for some time. Plus, you're bound to get something on them in the meantime during normal wear. How obvious are those spots indoors? Outdoors?

7. scb

scb Senior member

10.5d possibly for sale. ravello chukka and whiskey lw. note: the whiskey lw left shoe is 2 toned

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

To Alden shell cordovan owners: Once worn a few times, are both shoes supposed to "crease" the same way or do they usually crease differently?

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

they'll crease differently at first depending on the thickness of the leather, shape of your feet, etc but after a year of regular use, they even out. Both sides will become soft and wrinkly :)

10. kk11

kk11 New Member

made a mistake sorry

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

11. k11

k11 Member

Hi, This pair is so beautiful. I have some pairs of whiskey cordovan. but My pair is stained not like your pair. Is this pair the whiskey cordovan? and How did you treat the pair from the new ones? just wax? :(

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

WASH ME

14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I feel like this place has been a bitch-fest recently. I'm starting to feel I would be (as well as Alden) better off if the complainers stopped buying Alden shoes. I know sometimes we can get caught up in the price of something, but considering these are things that are worn ON YOUR FEET, maybe they don't need to be fucking PERFECT. After all, part of their lives will be spent trudging through streets, subway stations, dirt, below urinals and toilets. Now I'm not talking about construction flaws (which Alden has ALWAYS fixed), but these spots, color variations, and stretch marks comments make us sound like a bunch of menopausal women. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest, carry on.

15. mugatu

mugatu Senior member

hey alden peeps, quick question on indy tru-balance sizing: my brannock size is 8.5D, clarks db 9... i tried on a 8 & a 8.5 yesterday and couldn't decide which would be better!
    the 8's fit real snug, the 8.5 were a tad roomy with thin socks, but is it ok/better to have a little bit of room at the end? just trying to avoid massive creasing while breaking-in ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.