Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

jslade, how big are the Aldens? I know from experience the Plaza was big at first but now I just it tts instead of taking it in the same size as Barrie

2. jslade

jslade Senior member

I think you're getting me mixed up with someone else, my man. I'm the guy with the LS CXL Pitt Boots, which are on the Barrie last. I'd love to have something on the Grant last, though. :satisfied:

3. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Namor, you getting in on the whiskey shortwing boot group buy that I am putting together? It's coming together nicely.

4. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

OK, I do not use oil on any of my boots (yet) but you would use the oil instead of the polish. For me:

Cordovan, JUST BRUSH. If I get a scrape I just brush a lot more or use spoon to rub it out. Want to get a horn for that sometime.

Calf: This is easier but tricky to explain.

1) Wipe dust, dirt, etc. off shoes
    2a) Apply shoe cream to shoes with an old t-shirt. (Leather cream contains leather dye so be careful as it will stain everything including your finger tips. Prob best to do outside. If not possible put down some cardboard or paper) - This step is not needed every time but is great for covering up scratches and scrapes. Not recommended for cordovan? I usually wax after this step but not required.
    2b) Apply thin layer of wax to shoes with a brush, cloth, or even old t-shirt
    3) Wait for shoe to dry (Do not wait too long. Also you should be using a thin coat which should be dried in less than a minute or two)
    4) Brush shoes with horsehair brush
    5) Wipe off or buff any excess polish with cloth or old t-shirt

Shoe cream should match the color of the shoe as much as possible. Wax is OK to be off. I sometimes use black wax on #8/Ox Blood shoes and it works great.

There should be a lot of videos on this and how to oil boots.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

5. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Those suedes are sueet! I'm on the pre-order for the suede barrie wingtip from LS, and I can't wait!

And also can't wait for this...thanks again for setting it up !

6. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

If you are talking about Chromexcel boots I think you can forego a lot of the time and expense - a wipe-down after every use, shoe trees and some occasional Saphir Renovateur and you'll be all set. BTW - they charge more for the Alden horsehair brush (versus the Kiwi horsehair brush) because they can.

7. Leighlon

Leighlon Well-Known Member

8. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

What are the details on this shortwing mto boot?

Is there another thread?

9. sellran

sellran Senior member

Here are some pics of shoes resoled at B. Nelson. The first pair aren't Aldens so parden me for posting here. I just wanted to show off the red dainite soles on them.
    [​IMG]
    Before the new soles. (With double leather).
    [​IMG]
    After the new soles (Now red dainite with natural edge trim)
    [​IMG]
    One more after shot
    [​IMG]
    Black shell Aldens before the new soles (with double leather)
    [​IMG]
    After the new soles (Now sinlge leather with low profile vibram commando soles).

10. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

That red dainite looks good. I am thinking of getting a pair of boots I am waiting for with a dainite for the winter.

11. axroox

axroox Active Member

Thanks for the head's up on the Whiskey Indy's, Leighlon. That's like spotting a unicorn. Just picked up a pair on Madison.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

indeed. i would probably have done the same if I was in NYC. Cant think of a better way to spend a lunch break

13. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

Well, talked to someone at the Alden shop today and they basically confirmed what I had already expected, last pair available and that their supposed to look like that, some pairs worse than others :angry:. Now, If you google Alden ravello chukka boot's you don't see a single pair with that type of a defect.

Guess I'll have to wait even longer for my grail shoe. If anyone knows of any place that has these in a 8.5D I would greatly appreciate the help.

14. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior member

Not to beat a dead horse but looking at the pics, the boots do seem used and creased so its understandable that they will not be accepted for return. In all fairness, they cannot accept a used boot and sell it as brand new. I think every stockist has a similar policy.

15. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

With about 8-12 months of wear, whiskey looks a LOT like ravello.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.