1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

An excellent choice. That antique edge trim looks great and I'm sure you've noticed the color(s) #8 develops into in the many photos here. Always room for Cigar or Ravello, next, right?:D

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

A good e-stalker would have found her picture by now.

3. hermano

hermano Active Member

greetings,
    would like to know if anyone would like to purchase these at cost before I post for sale anywhere. purchased through pre-order from LeatherSoul, brand new, never worn, in original box with shoe bags. Size 11.5D, Barrie. $595, shipped in US.

[​IMG]

Alden Shoes – #8 Shortwing for Style Forum (LSW & LSBH)
    Posted by Tom

Our latest Alden model was designed for the members of Style Forum, particularly those who post and read the official Alden thread.

The combination of Horween color #8 shell cordovan and an antique edgetrim sounded like a great idea and now that we finally see it in the flesh, Style Forum was right.

A double waterlock leather sole and regular welt round out the details.

As most of our order was presold, stock is very short.

(Barrie last, $595.00)

please PM me if you would like.
    best,
    scott

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  4. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Size?

5. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Since I am a narrow size, I appreciate the fit options offered by the LHS and it seems to work better overall. It does have a low arch though so that strap can pinch your feet depending on foot shape so it doesn't work for everyone even if you get the length/width perfect. The "D width only" Marlow is easier on the arch but again--D width only.

I have been fortunate enough to make both work. 11B is working in the LHS for me while the 10D Marlow, although a little short in the length, seems to fit very very well when i go sockless in the summer.

As far as finishing goes--I like the hand sewing, the half strap, and single leather sole on the LHS better. On the Marlow, I like the 270 welt with close heel and the closely trimmed sole around the whole shoe better than the LHS.

6. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

+1 to all of the above:nodding:

7. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

How many people here sized one whole down for Trubalance? as a 8C not sure if 7.5d might be too big

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  8. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

I have. I'm normally a 8.5 in sneakers, went down to a 7.5 E on indy and context roy boots. The guy at leather soul was saying how they might have sized me wrong, and I'm actually a D width. I normally wear an insole anyways so a 7.5E works fine for me.

9. ReversoLover

ReversoLover Senior member

I went down a whole size - usually I'm a 10D in most shoes, Clarks Desert Kahn/Boot I'm a 9.5 and today when I went to try on some Indys, 9D felt nice and comfy.

On another note, JUST ORDERED MY FIRST PAIR OF ALDENS - Ultimate Indys in Chromexcel from Leathersoul Beverly Hills

Is it unhealthy how incredibly giddy/excited I am?

Also as a side note, I saw that the Leffot 405's have burgundy laces, which I think look pretty cool. Does anyone have any alternate lace color/material ideas for the chromexcel?

10. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

I'm looking for a shell cap toe or wingtip to wear with suits. I'm torn between #8 and Cigar. The Cigar is intriguing, partly because it is uncommon. Is cigar too casual for a cap toe balmoral? Is it this dark IRL?

[​IMG]

11. CharlesT44

CharlesT44 Well-Known Member

I have these in black and love them. I wear them with my black suit once a week. I think the cigar would be a good second pair to go with grey and other colors of suits.

12. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

A couple of comments:

1. Cigar is not too casual for a cap toe (balmoral or blucher)
    2. As has been posted/discussed at length on this thread, there is signficant variation in the colors of different lots of shoes so the actual shoe you receive may not be this color at all (the Shoemart picture is a stock picture)
    3. I personally prefer the blucher to the balmoral and I believe that Alden SF has the cigar in stock (several retailers carry the Color 8)
    4. As much as I like cigar, I think a dress shoe in Color 8 is one of those "foundational" type items for your wardrobe so if you don't have one already, I would go with the Color 8.

My two cents...

13. hermano

hermano Active Member

apologies, these are size 11.5D, Barrie last. original post edited.
    best,
    Scott

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  14. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Hey man, going to pull the trigger on those chukkas? I returned your pm last week. not sure if you got it.

15. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

Not at all!
    However, it will be unhealthy for your wallet when you discover how comfortable the Indys are, and your first instinct is to want to buy more of them :)

16. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I guess it just depends on how wide your feet are. If you have a narrow foot (not necessarily a narrow size) that would be fine. It also depends how you wear your shoes as well, I see some guys here seem to barely lace their shoes, while others (like me) like to tie em nice and snug...shoe sizing is so dependent on so many variables. Thats why I hate "sizing" questions unless people can say, "I fit well in a size X" in a shoe I know well.

17. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I never would have guessed those were color #8 based on the image. That said, it illustrates the variability of color #8's appearance in different light conditions. Makes me want to say, "What the hell," as well. Great image and love the edge trim. Looks fantastic! Who makes that configuration?

18. cloudshift

cloudshift Senior member

^ Yes, the color is wacky in the pic... I blame the compact fluorescent bulbs in my bedroom. ;)

Leffot makes the Color 8 with antique edge... Seems a lot of folks don't like it, I was pretty drawn to it for whatever reason. I think it works really well as a casual shoe, with jeans or some khakis.

"It's casual!" ;)

19. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

I would keep your width at "C" and then size down one-half size in length. That works for me with my Indy's on the Trubalance. I'm 12A and 11.5A works well. I have found that I have to size down a full size with the Barrie.

20. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    black tassel
    argyle otc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.