***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jslade

jslade Senior member

Thanks for the help, guys. I have a Epaulet CXL belt and the scratches look very similar in nature, so I'm not worried at all.

However, I'm really new to the entire nice-non-sneaker-shoes thing, and as such, don't have any of the requisite maintenance tools needed apart from basic shoe trees.

Will a kit like this one (Kiwi Shoe Care Kit) be good enough for keeping these in good condition? Bryan from Leather Soul also mentioned some Mink Oil to keep these relatively water-resistant, so I think I'll pick up a tin of that as well. I don't plan on babying these by any means, but would like to take the time to keep them in as good of shape as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

good sir, I admire the zealous ambition to protect your boots but dont let that get in the way of your enjoyment. You bought some rugged boots I would argue the boots look better when roughed up a bit. With that said, all you need is: a horsehair brush, brown polish, and mink oil. I bought all three at Target. good luck! :cheers:

3. wj4

wj4 Senior member

How often do you guys use mink oil?

I just cleaned my natural CXL Indy Oxfords with AE conditioner/cleaner and neutral wax. I haven't used mink oil yet, but I do have it.

I'm also tempted to clean all non-cordovan shoes as well since I'm on it now.

4. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

id leave em alone at this point. AE conditioner is fine.

5. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

kathy from alden dc let me in on a little secret ... before alden decided to market their own line of waxes and creams, all of the alden stores used kiwi products

for ravello, since there is no alden wax counterpart for this shade, she actually gives her local customers a tin of kiwi in "mid tan"

so yeah kiwi will be fine for your aldens

6. izach

izach Well-Known Member

These pair are really a beauty.

7. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

[​IMG]

A better pic
    [​IMG]

summer oxford in reverse tobacco chamois from Blackbird

8. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

fuck yeah that reversed chamois :slayer:

9. wj4

wj4 Senior member

You tell me this now??
    [​IMG]

I cleaned and waxed all my non cordovan Aldens tonight. It was pretty relaxing. I'm now (im)patiently waiting for the Ravellos from Epaulet to get in.

The only pair of Aldens I want now is #4. I will try out Tricker's in the mean time.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pictures.
    [​IMG]

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

haaa, I have a ton of Alden shoe care product as well. Nice collection, btw. I sold my Indy's today as im trying to consolidate my collection. Twas difficult. I cried all the way to the post office

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

11. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I want to take a family picture of the cordovan, but just waiting for the last brother to arrive.

I thought about using dark burgundy for the Indys, but chickened out and went with neutral instead.

I'm one of the few that likes the reddish hue of the 405s.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

as do I. The 405's got with anything and everything. What do you have coming in the mail? :D

13. wj4

wj4 Senior member

^Just the Ravello Brixtons. I ordered them in January and the wait was fine until now. I've been told they should be here in 2-3 weeks. This is the longest wait time yet, but I've been told the Ravello hue is quite nice. After this, I will have all 5 shells, except for the legendary #4 of course.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i love that boot, congrats! Props for waiting so long for your pair. I have never waited that long for a pair but I can only imagine how excited you feel at this point. am aching for a rare shell captoe boot

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

15. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I never actually waited for any shell except for Whiskey, which was only a 2-3 week wait. I ordered the boot because at the time, no one else had Ravello so this was a sure thing. I just try to forget about it. It worked for the most part, until now. haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.