***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I love them. They are made in India from Horween Cordovan. This was my second pair because the first pair I bought from Brooks brothers was in awful shape. Those went back immediately. The second go around was much nicer. I created a thread for the shoe "search Brooks Brothers Cordovan Longwing"
    Plaza NST? nice! what color?

2. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Shell #8!

Would have had my captoes by now but they didn't pass inspection, and they had no more of my size left : (

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Trickers are great. Its a different aesthetic and the quality is better than Alden. Or atleast its more consistent. Zippyh is the resident Trickers expert.

what was wrong with them?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Someone asked me about Alden sizing, specifically, narrow sizes. Yesterday I posted a few photos and most of my sizes are narrow when my foot isnt. Here is why:

I reconsidered the sizing situation with the Barrie and Trubalance last. Rather than sizing down one half size, I instead stayed tts and went down a width or two. I wear all of my boots with a dress sock because a) im in california, and b) I like to keep a sleek boot profile.

I am a TTS 12D and I have found these to be my best fitting and best looking lasts:

Aberdeen 12D or 12C (a little tight but wearable)
    Barrie 12C
    Trubalance 12C or 12B a little tight
    Grant 11.5D
    Plaza 12D
    Leydon 12E (I think this is Alden's narrowest last)

I can also fit into size 11E or 11D Trubalance or 11E Barrie. But the point is that when you go down in size, the shape of the last gets stalkier and more compact then I would like. Staying TTS gives the shoe a longer, more elongated (sexier? :slayer: ) profile. Again, all these sizes listed are with a dress sock. For reference im 6'2" 200lb, medium build. I have a relatively regular foot (not too wide or narrow) so for those with wider feet, this probably wont work.

5. geoffmartin17

Not too sure, Yenni just said that alden told them they were unsellable. Annoying after waiting 8 months...not sure how much longer it iwill take, probably another 8?

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

ooof, its worth it though!

Size 10.5. Someone buy the power pack!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/horweennumber8/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

7. tropics

tropics Senior member

i just touch up the scuffs with neatsfoot oil.

8. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

So, NAMOR, does going down a width apply to Alden shoes, too? Would a possible solution to those who find Barrie-lasted shoes too wide in the heel be to go down a width (if you're regularly a 9D, say a 9C) instead of going down a half size (if you're regularly a 9D, say a 8.5D)?

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

exactly. and I just think it looks better. But try on as many last/widths as possible before making a big purchase (i.e. a MTO)

10. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

If I wasn't in Deadmonton, Alberta, that might be easier to do than it is. Hmm.

It's good information to know, however!

11. geoffmartin17

Holy shit at that power pack. I would buy that in a heartbeat, half a size lower....love plaza.

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

A 9C is going to be nearly the same width as a 8.5D

13. jslade

jslade Senior member

Hey guys, how goes it?

I got my Alden CXL Pitt Boots in the mail today from Leather Soul. First off, $30 shipping and $41.57 in tax?! This will probably be my only pair of Alden shoes for the next year or two. College student budget, you know. ;)

Is it normal for these shoes to have a few scratches on the leather? Nothing too deep or serious, of course, but I just want to double check to make sure since there's always discussion about Alden's (apparently lack of) QC. There are some minor blemishes here and there, but I feel like it's nothing a normal person would realize.

I'm getting a little bit of heel slip. I sized down one from my typical dress shoe size. Not a big deal, I think. Anyway, I already creased these shoes up after wearing them around for two minutes, so it's a bit too late to return them. :embar:

14. wj4

wj4 Senior member

It's CXL. My natural chromexcel shows all the scratches.

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

CXL is a soft leather. They are going to develop lots of surface scratches. You should be able to buff them out though. Try brushing them with a horse hair brush for a few minutes. If that doesn't work try some leather conditioner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.