***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Looking sharp! Those look like the Leffot model with the blind eyelets & speed hooks.

2. jslade

jslade Senior member

Just placed an order for a pair of Pitt Boots from Leather Soul. Real excited to receive these next week. :) I'm a 9.5D on the Brannock scale, and sized down to a size 9. Bryan from LS told me that these would be okay if hit with a bit of snow or rain, so these should be pretty good for my purposes.

First Alden's -- pretty excited!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

3. harveyrabbit

harveyrabbit Senior member

Congratulations. Which Pitt? The CXL?

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Congrats man! I'm excited for yeah. you'll love these to death

5. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Or shoe manufacturers won't pay the "market rate" for shell. I'm pretty sure that Horween could hire more people and produce more shell but when you add up pricing pressures, exchange rate issues and an uncertain global economic outlook the shoe manufacturers face sometimes it is just easier for them to say that "they can't get their hands on any" shell.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

aaaand we have a winnner!

7. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Does the Barrie last fit similar to C&J's 325 last? I have the Pembroke shortwing, which I love, and I'm wondering how Barrie-like it is.

8. jslade

jslade Senior member

Hey, thanks guys. Yes, I ordered them in the CXL. I'm hoping that these can be worn as casually as I'd like to wear them. ;) I'll post pictures when they arrive.

9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Nope. Doesn't fit similarly at all. The 325 has the narrow at the heel, wider at the front shape that resembles most human feet. The Barrie does not. I love the 325 last by the way.

10. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Thanks. I was wondering if there was any point in trying a Barrie-lasted shoe at some point, but I think the answer is a resounding no. I love the 325 last, but I do get the tiniest bit of heel slippage on it, which means I have no chance of fitting the Barrie. Which is fine with me—that's why a group order would be amazing.

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I pulled out an accursed pair of Barrie lasted shoes to compare against my shell C&Js. My Aldens are size US 7D, and my C&Js are a UK 6.5E. The heel cup of the Barrie lasted shoe was at least 1/4 inch wider than the C&J 325. The toe boxes were nearly identical in width, as are the lengths.

I used a compass, since I don't own a caliper, so the measurements are fairly accurate.

12. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

You are aware that shell isn't something you just crank out like pencils, right? First you need horses, then you need to raise them, then you need to kill em skin em and then tan the hides, which takes 7 months, according to Horween. Now, last I checked there weren't exactly massive herds of horses being shoved into feedlots, so you're already constrained from that end. Not to mention that just like everything else, you've got at least a 7 month window before anything you make today will available to put on the market, not to mention several years to ramp up horse raising. So, there's a sudden surge in demand for Shell. Do you immediately try to double production in anticipation or do you slowly build your channels up so you don't end up with a lot of unsold product, etc. I don't think the problem is they need to hire more people, but more like they need more actual raw material since they seem to batch it out anyway.

13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Not only do you need the shells, they have to be high enough quality for use. Supposedly it's Cigar that's unavailable, I bet they have plenty of shells that can be turned into black shoes.

14. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I haven't got one in months as well.

15. sazon

sazon Senior member

Congrats!

Your addiction starts now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.