***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

haha exactly ... for some reason it looks like a pair in my size is still alive and now trying to figure out if i really want/need it

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I own shortwing and longwings in roughly the same shades and wear them both regularly. I find that the shortwings work better in more formal settings while the longwings work well in formal but are much better as a casual shoe than the shortwing.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

rkd, they are too similar. if it was a shortwing in cigar, then I would say go for it. I think you are better off with the C&J for RL Darlton wingtip.

4. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

NAMOR, good news. PM me ASAP!!!!!

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

pm'd! you sir are the man. thanks for helping me out

6. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

^

Did you guys get it worked out with Alden about the stitching on that pair of boots?

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

we (beowolf, mostly) did. they should arrive on Saturday. will post pics. fingers crossed...

8. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

hey rkd, i purposely held off on buying a #8 lw, hoping that one day i would find a #8 sw...i couldn;t be happier with this shoe! as #8 is my favorite color of the cordovan's (ya i know, prolly in the minority here). this was my holy grail! that said the decision is a win-win either way...

9. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

I have the same issue: my left is an E, while the right a D. I've found some success in taking the left shoes/boots to a cobbler for widening. The best is going big, though; tight shoes are awful.

10. number9dream

number9dream Senior member

So, I have a question about Alden re-crafting. A little while ago, I picked up a pair of Leydon lasted Aldens in 11.5D off eBay ---- normally my size. However, I soon learned that the prior owner had substantially smaller feet than mine, as is evidenced by the imprint on the foot bed and the padding buttressing the tongue and heel of each shoe. This shouldn't be a big problem because I know that I wear 11.5D on the Leydon last and my foot fits comfortably in the shoe ---- when standing still.

The problem begins when I walk. The sole is worn and has broken in at a point that is under the ball of a shorter foot. When I walk, the ball of my foot drifts back into the shorter break as my feet are shoved back into the heels of the shoes. This becomes quite painful after several hours. I had hoped that by wearing the shoes, they would break in and fit my foot. So far, no such luck.

So, for all you Alden fans that have had shoes recrafted, my question is this: will the recrafting process fix these shoes so that they fit on my feet? It is my understanding that the re-crafting process replaces the cork footbed and the soles of the shoes. The refurbished shoe should break in to my foot just as a new shoe would --- am I right?

11. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

What are the most versatile Alden shoes for business wear to the office.? I already have a captoe bal. Looking for other suggestions for "business casual" wear. Something that would look great with odd trousers but could be dressed up and worn with a suit as well. Thanks!

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

start with color. what color do you have and what color do you want? what color pants/suits would you wear the new shoes with?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

you have a lot of possibilities-
    ptb, lwb, wt, nst, tassels and full strap

14. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Alden Plain Toe Blucher in Shell Cordovan. #8, Black, Ravello or Cigar would be the most versatile. I am not partial to the black and if I did I may go with calf for that. Barrie last can be had easily.

Tom has done them in other lasts as well:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2009/12/07/alden-shoes-a-classy-blucher/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello lwb
    argyles otc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.