1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marg

marg Senior member

barrie is the normal go to because it fits the widest range of feet. i like the grant. a lot. it's ironic that these posts are up now because i messaged kgmessier earlier about his thoughts on a wingtip special makeup on the grant as he successfully got 2 group orders together for other shoes. i am thinking about a shortwing boot on the grant, preferrably in ravello or cigar. i'm open to one in some type of interesting calf if the shell won't work. my feet may be wide, but i don't have cankles, so the barrie is brutal without tongue pads.

you can google pics of wingtip grant last shoes. leathersoul did one a few years back that looked really nice. brooks brothers shell longwings were also on the grant.

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

My worst fitting was a Chukka! I sized down .5 and went with a D. Then I went down 1 and went with a D. Neither fit.

If your heel slides side to side in a shoe, it's not a stiff sole that's causing it. It's the fact that you could fit a regulation softball in the heel counter.

3. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Namor, I did size down half a size and if I remember correctly, Tom @ LS was saying they didn't do any E widths for this run.

Guess I'll just chalk this up to a learning process that tells me I need bluchers lasted on something else besides Barrie. :confused:

EDIT: The weird thing was that I tried on a pair of 975's in the same size at Leffot this past April and didn't have any problems with slippage.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Off Topic but Marg i just wanted to tell you that your sig pic cracks me up every time i look at it. i have no idea what the story behind it is, and i don't really want to know as it may spoil the enjoyment for me. It's just weirdly funny!

5. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

i have a pair of those and they have broken in nicely--if the fit is right it's a fantastic shoe!

6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I believe the Brooks Bros Black Fleece black shell longwing is on the Grant last.
    I've seen several Leydon last longwings but I don't recall ever seeing any in shell.

7. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Tom @ LeatherSoul--can you lend any insight into Alden's Barrie last and why it is so "popular" with these special make-ups? The last looks like a squished hot dog IMHO, and apparently has serious fit issues with us skinny heeled gents.

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

they don't fit me right :(they don't fit me right :(

9. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

I'm not Tom, but I can tell you that the Barrie has few fit issues if sized correctly. There may be slippage here and there, but if everything was made on the Aberdeen, for instance, tons more people would complain about it being a constricting last, as it is quite slim (for Alden at least).

That being said, if everything was on the Aberdeen and Grant lasts, I'd be a happy camper.

gfreeman, this has been my quest for ages. Join the club. As was mentioned, BB does their longwings on the Grant, but they're most often offered in calf (especially black pebble grain). The only shell shade I've seen of theirs has been black.

(Also FYI Epaulet does their suede and natural chromexcel longwings on the Leydon.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    looking very sharp

11. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Absolutely superb uncle…outstanding shine.

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    whiskey wt
    argyles otc

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

15. cyc wid it