• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma77

Reaction score
^ Agree, with two caveats.

First, should be noted that any suede shoes should be treated with a suede protector to prevent stains and dirt, which is common for suede. I prefer Meltonian suede protector spray. It will darken your suede very slightly.

Second, many shells can go without wax polish, and can be shined just with Renovateur/Venetian cream and vigorous brushing. This leads to a more natural patina and darkening.

Last edited:

borderline

Reaction score
Unlined snuff suede PTB from Leather Soul.

HfmYW.jpg

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone selling or making mahogany shells? been a long time since ive heard of that shade

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
those look great Morgan. Why didnt they work out? I have never tried out the Van last. Did you size down a half size?

Morgan

Reaction score
NAMOR, yes I did go down half a size. They did fit, more or less, but the instep was a bit tight across the penny strap and never loosened up. For a long time they were my only pair of loafers, but I picked up the brown cordovan loafers by Crockett & Jones for Polo earlier this summer and haven't worn my Alden LHS since. They're both great loafers but the C&Js just work better on my feet, plus the darker shade of brown is a little more versatile.

The C&J for Polo:
BvLvv.jpg

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new 966 on their first day out. The Aberdeen last works very well for me. If the toe was a little more rounded like the Barrie it would be perfect for me.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to order a shell longwing on a different last from the usual Barrie? I assume I could do this MTO through Alden, but it would probably cost an arm and a leg, amirite?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would it be possible to order a shell longwing on a different last from the usual Barrie? I assume I could do this MTO through Alden, but it would probably cost an arm and a leg, amirite?

Huge cost, and massive wait. I've heard people report the MTO fee is $200 and the wait is over a year. That would put the cost of a Shell LWB at $800+. At that price I'm not sure I would accept Alden quality.

I wonder if we could get a group order for the LWB on some other last. If we get enough people, maybe we could have the fee waved. If we can agree on a last I like, I would probably be in for a pair in #8.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my Leather Soul x Style Forum shortwings came a day earlier than expected. Will try and put some fit pics up tomorrow but the shadow of doubt has already been cast. While my captoe boots are on the Barrie last and my 403's the Trubalance, they're both boots and so never really noticed any heel slippage. For this reason I thought I'd be OK with my first pair of bluchers being on that last. Wrong.

I tried them on and walked around on the carpet for a bit and noticed the slippage instantly. I know I could probably slide them off my foot while they were still tied if I wanted to. So, while they look (and smell) absolutely gorgeous, I just don't know now. Does anybody with this problem just suck it up and deal with it, or is there a makeshift solution? I didn't understand why everybody complained about the Barrie last (other than the aesthetic of it, that seems legit) until now. Would sizing down a whole size help (I just sized down the typical half size) or should I just flip them?

I'm starting to wonder if the MTO route is the way to go with bluchers where your only option is blobby Barrie.

EDIT: just saw the post above me. Did SF request to put these Leather Soul shortwings on the Barrie last or was that out of SF's hands? I would definitely be all for a longwing shell order that solves the heel slippage problem caused by the Barrie last. How does the Grant last measure up in the heel?

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So my Leather Soul x Style Forum shortwings came a day earlier than expected. Will try and put some fit pics up tomorrow but the shadow of doubt has already been cast. While my captoe boots are on the Barrie last and my 403's the Trubalance, they're both boots and so never really noticed any heel slippage. For this reason I thought I'd be OK with my first pair of bluchers being on that last. Wrong.

I tried them on and walked around on the carpet for a bit and noticed the slippage instantly. I know I could probably slide them off my foot while they were still tied if I wanted to. So, while they look (and smell) absolutely gorgeous, I just don't know now. Does anybody with this problem just suck it up and deal with it, or is there a makeshift solution? I didn't understand why everybody complained about the Barrie last (other than the aesthetic of it, that seems legit) until now. Would sizing down a whole size help (I just sized down the typical half size) or should I just flip them?

I'm starting to wonder if the MTO route is the way to go with bluchers where your only option is blobby Barrie.

EDIT: just saw the post above me. Did SF request to put these Leather Soul shortwings on the Barrie last or was that out of SF's hands? I would definitely be all for a longwing shell order that solves the heel slippage problem caused by the Barrie last. How does the Grant last measure up in the heel?

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've spent so much money trying to find a size of Barrie that works for me. None does. It's either stupidly big in the heel, or stupidly tight in the toe box. There is no fitting my foot in that damn last. My closet is full of Barrie lasted Shell shoes, standing as testament to my ****** buying habits and desire to put style over fit.

My one moment of strength was sending back my pair of Ravelo shortwings before I wore them. From now on I don't even look at Barrie lasted shoes - I just think, "too bad they stuck it on that."

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bb, did you size down 1/2 from your regular size? if you did, it sounds like the double leather sole needs a bit of a break inb, did you size down 1/2 from your regular size? if you did, it sounds like the double leather sole needs a bit of a break in

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've spent so much money trying to find a size of Barrie that works for me. None does. It's either stupidly big in the heel, or stupidly tight in the toe box. There is no fitting my foot in that damn last. My closet is full of Barrie lasted Shell shoes, standing as testament to my ****** buying habits and desire to put style over fit.

My one moment of strength was sending back my pair of Ravelo shortwings before I wore them. From now on I don't even look at Barrie lasted shoes - I just think, "too bad they stuck it on that."

my best fitting Barrie shoe turned out to be a chukka in black shell. I sized down one whole size and increased the width to E. fit like a glove

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads