***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Are these the colors that Alden offers in shell cordovan?

Black
    Cigar
    Ravello
    Mahogany
    Whiskey

How do the the browns compare with each other? I'm an Alden noob, but I'm considering a pair of cordovan longwings at some point.

2. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

there is also the rare #4 ... ihavent seen mahogany shell for awhile now. no one seems to be able to get their hands on it

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

There's also #4.

L to R: cigar, whiskey, ravello, #4, #8.
    I find Ravello to be my favorite.
    [​IMG]

4. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Thanks a ton for that picture; it really is a good comparison of the colors!

I think my ideal pair would be a pair of cordovan longwings in cigar (I like that there's almost a green-ish tint to them in some lighting) or #4, but really, I don't think I could go wrong with any of the non-black colors. I'd also prefer something not in the Barrie last, but I don't know how feasible that is.

5. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

I love those ravello and #8 colors man!

6. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Thanks guys!

7. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Wow awesome, Alden 966?! i Have had my eye on these for a while now. Could i bother you for some more pictures of those. I have not pulled the trigger on them yet because every picture i see on the internet they tend to have a red tone to the leather. Is the color true to your picture? Is the edge trim antique or black?

Thanks.

8. shasta

shasta Senior member

My #8 shortwings just showed up from leathersoul. Wow, I'm so glad I pulled the trigger. Ordered on Thursday evening, and they were at my desk first thing monday morning.

Being this is my first experience with shell - are there any precuations to take when breaking these in? Obviously, shoe trees are an obvious need, but I thought I had read somewhere about using a pen to control the creasing?

Thanks!

9. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Pencil, no pen (and use an Eberhard #2 with a natural finish....). Seriously, assuming you are comfortable with the fit just use the pencil as a guide to bend the shoes at the toe. It prevents too many uneven creases (which I find come anyway after many wearings and add character to the shoe).

10. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

anyone heard of updates on the shoe mart irregular list that should be coming out in the near future?

11. nbernie

nbernie Senior member

So this technique is to precrease the shoes so that they're even? Please explain more.

12. shasta

shasta Senior member

cool - I looked back a few pages and it sounds like the godfather himself (tom at leathersoul) just wears them right out of the box, so that's what I'll go for as well.

I had read somewhere that wax polishes arent the best. What do most people go with for #8 shell?

13. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Mine were just delivered as well.

14. marg

marg Senior member

this method will still result in random creasing, sometimes more than if the pencil wasn't used. the creasing depends on the shell and your gait. if your creasing looks a little wild, just chalk it up to your individual feet and move on. the problem with using the pencil is that if your gait doesn't coincide with the way you creased the shoe, the other creases will develop in addition and could look bizarre. if you don't like the way shell looks broken in, stick to calf or some other exotic leather.

15. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

Use paste wax for shell cordovan. Don't use very much and don't use it very often. You don't want any to build up on the shell. Look up the "Mac Method" for details from a guy who knows

Color doesn't really matter that much... it's up to you. I use dark brown Saphir paste wax for my color 8 and cigar shells.

Also, you don't need to treat new Aldens, calf or cordovan, with anything for a while. They are good to go straight out of the box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.