***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

a few more pics of the Tobacco Indy's from the hiking trip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the "mment" you see came from the word "comment." had to take screen shots of my friends facebook album :bigstar:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

2. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Great looking PTB uncle…spectacular shine!

3. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Thanks for the responses - I thought about putting in a pre-order at the Shoe Mart, but I was told that may take up to a year. I may go to an Alden store and see if I can try an 11.5D.....I have #8 LWB in 12C and that fits pretty well, so I'm afraid the 11.5 might not be long enough. And even the 12C is still slightly big in the heel - my feet are shaped kinda weird and they get very narrow near my heel - I would almost need something like a 12C with a AAA width in the heel for it to fit perfectly.

4. tropics

tropics Senior member

your friend has close ups of your aldens on their facebook?

if so - i heartily approve :slayer:

5. marg

marg Senior member

even if the barrie fits your foot, there may be some heel slip if you don't have cankles. try the grant last - the heel fits much tighter.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Nearly everyone in the world has feet like that. The Barrie last is extremely odd fitting - narrow in the toe box relative to the heel. A "normal" foot isn't 2/3 as wide in the heel as it is at the widest part of the forefoot.

People complain that the Barrie last is blobby, but I find it rather attractive. However the fit is rediculous and I will never purchase another shoe on that last.

7. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

[​IMG]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Should get here by next Tuesday.

My wife is gonna kill me and I have all of you as witnesses. Mrs. Burningbright in the billiard room with the short wings. Look for it!

Damn you Alden! Home wrecker! :censored:

8. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Good to know it's the last that's weird, and not my foot, and that a little bit of heel slippage is probably normal. The only thing that sucks is I've seen so many shoes recently on the Barrie last that look so nice...is there anything similar to the ravello wingtip boot out there that is on a different last? I suppose it's always possible to place a custom order through Alden, but I'm not ready to spend an additional 25% markup or whatever it is on a boot that's already nearly 700 bucks.

9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Leather Soul produces a wingtip boot on the Plaza last, but not in rare colors. The Plaza fits me much better than the Barrie and I'll always defer to better fit. If you're willing to spend the money you could get a pair of Edward Green MTO shoes in a similar style to the Alden Ravelo Longwings. They'll be a good deal more expensive, but the construction quality will be higher. I know Tom at LS has put together that shoe for a previous customer.

10. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Yeah, those are sharp. Too bad about the leather sole. I don't understand the logic of putting leather soles on boots. When I wear boots, it's because I expect to need extra support and protection, i.e. it's snowing or raining or I'll be walking off road in some way. Therefore, I want rugged soles like commando. When I'm in the office or another more formal setting, then I wear shoes, in which case leather soles are fine.

If anyone cares to chime in, I'd love to know what the appeal to boots with leather soles is. Because, to me, the two things do not go together.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

x-post from rock your socks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. tropics

tropics Senior member

i feel the opposite way. i like the boots for daily winter use, in the office or wherever. i have more rugged boots for when required, i'm not baller enough to trudge through a sewer with $700 boots :violin:

13. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Well, I don't use them as outdoor boots. I wear snowboots into the office, where I then change into my work shoes/boots. But I like some tread because I don't change back into snowboots when I dash out to lunch or whatnot during the day. Even in Alaska, sitting in a restaurant wearing NorthFace insulated boots would look pretty silly.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

14. marg

marg Senior member

alden on madison has the boots on a double leather sole, but you can get a shoemaker to put on some thin viberg treds. not a big deal. just don't get big treds on a double leather or people may mistake you for gary glitter.

15. Bonggoy

Bonggoy Senior member

My first Alden ...

CXL Pitt Boot

[​IMG]

Wearing right now ... Indy ...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.