Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

An answer would be much appreciated, guys.

How different are the cigar captoe boots (that y'all have been talking about in the last few pages) in color (both new and as they get older) from this boot?

I'm this close to pulling the trigger on the Alden captoe cigar shell boots, but I understand they are darker in real life than what the these last few pics show.

And I have the Peal & Co boot, so do not want to buy the cigar if they're close to the same color (new or as they age).

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

2. marg

marg Senior member

Those Peal boots look like a color 8 mixed with some dark brown. I have seen a few pairs of cigar in real life, and those pics on the last page are definitely close to the real color. Some older cigar shoes have a slight greenish hue to them, but the newer ones that I have seen don't have that characteristc. The worst that can happen is you return the shoe if the colors match too closely for your comfort.

3. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Thanks; while I'd rather not do it, the 'return the boots option' may be the only way to go.

If the color is like this, I'd buy;

[​IMG]

But not if it's like this, because it appears too close to my C&J cordovan boot:

[​IMG]

And the two pictures are of the same boot! :fu: :lol:

4. terradilavoro

terradilavoro Senior member

5. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

IMHO, it's probably closer to the above. My Cigar captoe boot is on the far left. Next two are #8 and then Brown Calf and Brown CXL.

[​IMG]

6. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Thanks lasgun that picture really helps. I think the C&J boot is 'somewhere' between the cigar and the # 8, so I don't think I will pull the trigger on this one.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

damn Pipe, that C&J boot is getting in the way of beautiful boot bliss. any captoe boot on the grant, plaza, Barrie will look like the C&J. assuming you want a non-black cordovan boot that doesnt resemble the C&J cordo boot, your best bet would be an Indy boot or some other boot on the trubalance last. The idea being, C&J is dressy while the Indy is casual. plus, I don't think I have ever seen a captoe on the trubalance.

8. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Thanks, Renton.

9. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

11. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

I'm on the captoe boot bandwagon today, except mine are ravello. I've noticed that on my whiskey and ravello shoes, the leather turns black where it rubs against itself. As you can see in the photo below, this is happening where the quarters rub against the vamp, as well as where the ripples in the vamp rub against each other. Does anyone know what's going on here? Is this just filthy LA air? How I can prevent or remedy it? I've tried to clean it off with Saphir Renovateur without success.

[​IMG]

12. Bonggoy

Bonggoy Senior member

What kind of shoe polish do you use for a Horween brown CXL? Can I just use an ordinary brown kiwi shoe wax?

Thanks.

13. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Will I get kicked out of the club if I say that I think the brown calf looks the best out of all of them?

14. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

It's not the shape, I am more than fine with that; it's the color. I'm not sure whether the cigar color is distinct enough from the C&J color to warrant a buy (and I want the colors to be different).

15. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Depends. Brown CXL is quite reddish in hue. If you like the original color then I heard all you need is Neatsfoot oil as it won't darken the leather. I wanted my Brown CXL pitt boots a little darker and browner so used a Saphir dark brown creme on them.
    I like the brown calf AoC AF84 wingtip boots a lot. Probably more so than my #8 shoes and on par with the cigar boots. Maybe because I'm not as anal about caring for them as I am with my cordovan shoes.
    Maybe you need to look into the Ravello wingtip boot makeup Epaulet did? BTW, I really like the BB Peal C&J cordovan boots you have. How do they fit compared to Alden lasts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.