1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sazon

sazon Senior member

I think those awesome discounts are gone for good. Alden must have caught on to J Crew's pricing.

I'm also gonna put in for that LS Plaza Captoe in #8 pre-order. Let's hope the world doesn't really end in 2012.

Uncle Mac - simply superb, as always.

2. captainfunk

captainfunk Senior member

Wow that's a deal. If these dont work out, I'll gladly take em off your hands.

3. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

A man of impeccable taste.

4. seer

seer Senior member

5. seer

seer Senior member

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

they will look very well as long as you use the method

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

the soles on alden shell toward the heel have the alden crown and right below there would be the word alden and right below would say made in usa. this means that the heels and souls have been changed at least once. its your money make your own decision

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

But with the ability to send them back to Alden to "correct" them, wouldn't it still be a relative snag price-wise?

That's the opinion I took on the Balmorals I won. $125 for shell cordovan + the fee for restructuring is still far below any retail snag.

10. rioni

rioni Senior member

Just received these mismatched natural indys from the shoemart as seconds. I sized down 1 from 9D to 8E and the left (appears to be Modified) fits perfectly while the right (appears to be trubalance) is slightly wide and has a higher arch. Almost impossible to tell that they are mismatched lasts when looking at them but not sure if I'm going to keep them due to the arch fit. It would have been nice if shoemart specified this before buying. I think I'm going to return them as I am having some pain in my right foot after wearing for a few hours. Does anyone know if the Barrie in 8D would fit rougly the same as the modified in 8E (since the modified is a slimmer last)? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  11. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

Interesting. The crest does appear to be missing from the sole, but if they've been worn long enough to resole I'm highly impressed that the crest on the heel of the footbed appears good as new.

12. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

it likely means they are well used (if heel/soles have been replaced) so how comfortable are you buying shoes that old?

you can recraft them sure, but it's not like recraft = new shoes. the soles will be new but the wear and tear will still be there on the uppers and in the insoles may be formed to somebody else's foot.

I think used shoes can be great deals, but only when they are very lightly used.

double edit: to be clear this is what mcarthur is referencing.

[​IMG]

triple edit: man those do look like their in good shape. I wonder if this was a commando or crepe sole that somebody had resoled by a random cobbler soon after buying

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Is there a place while doing an online order to specify seconds, or do you just more or less receive whatever they send?

That's a good point. Fortunately, in my case, the shoe came and is still in very decent condition. But I understand your point.

14. seer

seer Senior member

Really? I thought that these looked fairly new... sheesh... Perhaps worth $250?

15. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

you can do a search on ebay for completed listings. though ultimately "worth" can be highly personal

16. seer

seer Senior member

Yes, but the cordovan leather looked in very good shape...

17. MattPol

MattPol Member

Finally got a chance to rock my Vanguard Boots from LS today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. rioni

rioni Senior member

Nice boots! (vanguard) do you know if those are n the Barrie or Trubalance last?

19. Thor

Thor Senior member

I agree!! I was getting into a car yesterday and the speed hook caught in the hem of my pants and really did a number- I was really pissed- the pants will require repair.

The eyelets look cleaner and DO seem to fit cleaner to the ankle..

I was the one who had the speed hooks replaced by Alden ...and whilst they are misaligned they are simply not at all noticeable when wearing...

I think I will avoid speed hooks from now if if at all possible...

20. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

+1. You never know with eBay and I can see them selling for $300+ especially if the seller is willing to ship to Japan. FWIW I once sold used #8 chukkas that were Shoemart seconds for close to $400 once due to some guy getting a little too exuberant with his bidding...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.