1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAF-8AF

AAF-8AF Well-Known Member

I like them a lot and they are the casual LHS I was wanting. The fit is a little loose, especially in the heel, and I had to put in tongue pads to push my foot back as well as wear thicker socks. I got them the same size as two pair I have in shell but they are looser overall. In the shell versions I had to use a shoe stretcher a couple times and be patient with break-in until the strap stopped pressing so much on my instep. These CXL shoes never bothered my instep at all. They start out a bit stiff, so that contributes some to the heel slipping, but I still think that for whatever reason the heel is looser. Even with the tongue pads my heels still slip a bit and that means that these shoes have not been great so far for long walks.

So, would I want a smaller size? That's a tough call because I don't think I could do with one width narrower to address the heel as I think it's perfect in the forefoot as it is and the strap on the LHS is a challenge to fit right. Lengthwise, the widest part of my foot is at the widest part of the shoe, so going shorter would compromise that fit with, again, putting more strap pressure on the instep. Given all that I know, I think I have the right size but will deal with the heel and abstain from wearing them if I need to do a lot of walking. I'm okay with the compromise. Let me know if you have any other questions.

2. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Note: NOT meant to be a rant post at all.

Sitting at home with the flu so I examined some of my Aldens for missing punches.
    Examine some suede shortwings, ravello longwings, my unworn #8 longwings from Orvis, and my whiskey longwings.
    Only the ravello were not missing a punch, hence no picture of them.
    Each pic is of a different shoe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

thank you

5. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Nice collection! Maybe the missing punch is a feature :)

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    congratuation on your winning design

7. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

FYI,

Leffot just recieved their second run of "JC Indy Boots" in Cigar in stock. Mine are already en route :slayer:

Call them to see how many more they have left, I know they pre-sold a lot

[​IMG]

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    whiskey lwb
    argyle otc

9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

10. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

11. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

gaziano & girling

12. seer

seer Senior member

Hey, I got those too! Have been using them for hiking...

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

seconded. Extremely comfortable for a variety of reasons: soft leather, rubber outsole, barrie last. Aesthetically speaking, they fall short compared to some of ALdens other offerings but if comfort takes precedence, then this is your shoe

right chyea: http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2009/01/asw-winter-boot.html

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I have a version of this boot from Rider in black cordovan: If you want a "sleek" cordovan boot, these are the type to get. I only wish this one I got had a version of Alden's double waterlock sole (I had to be very careful the first time wearing them in the rain - they are fine now)

[​IMG]

Not the best photo, I will try to get some more tomorrow and will post in the non-Alden cordovan thread.

EDIT - Like NAMOR, I also wore black shell out on NYE, mine ended up in better condition though. They still need Mac Method, which I will apply tonight

15. seer

seer Senior member

16. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Know the price on those offhand?

17. MattPol

MattPol Member

710 USD

18. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

For some reason the shape of those does not look like Trubalance (which they are according to Leffot's site). Interesting.

19. uninkco

uninkco Senior member

[​IMG]
    First day out wearing my cigar captoe on the grant last from Kathy at Alden DC. Followed the Mac method for breaking them in and it fits like a glove.

20. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Just got my #974 longwings in the mail today! Was so excited I tore open the package and wore them out to dinner with the family disregarding my denim/ocbd outfit. Pics to come!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(These are pics from the Ebay listing I won)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.