• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just sent B.Nelson a pair of Ravello cordovan wingtip boots for a resole. Currently, they have a commando sole. Looking to get them replaced with a single leather sole with antique edge trim. Not a fan of double leather; too stiff. before and after pics will be posted in about 6 weeks

Last edited:

chantheman

Reaction score

What is "double oak?" Is that just another way to say double leather? Or is it something different?

Thanks

is my terminology incorrect?

is this not a double oak leather outsole? of not this is what i meant to ask if b.nelson can do this?

img1290e.jpg

ambivalence

Reaction score
Do you guys think this is good shoes or does anyone have this model

not sure if should kop

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
There is a difference between "double oak" and "double sole" - oak refers to oak bark tanned leather, which is generally considered the best for soles, while "double sole" just means a double height sole. Can't hurt to ask if B. Nelson uses or can use oak bark soles - J. Rendenbach is pretty much the gold standard for sole leather, you could ask if they carry JR soles or something similar.

Also:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/260779/photo-essay-on-britain-s-last-oak-bark-tannery

Last edited:

keithp3521

Reaction score

There is a difference between "double oak" and "double sole" - oak refers to oak bark tanned leather, which is generally considered the best for soles, while "double sole" just means a double height sole. Can't hurt to ask if B. Nelson uses or can use oak bark soles - J. Rendenbach is pretty much the gold standard for sole leather, you could ask if they carry JR soles or something similar.

Also:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/260779/photo-essay-on-britain-s-last-oak-bark-tannery

Great. Thanks, imatlas.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score

Also:

They use J Redenbach iirc

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
15xl5yo.jpg

ravello full strap
argyles otc

beowolf

Reaction score
my boots just came in from winnperry, wow what fast shipping. I absolutely love them and they fit perfect. Will post pictures soon.

beowolf

Reaction score

My #8 captoe boots fresh out of the box today. :slayer:

Last edited:

marg

Reaction score
i also just received a captoe boot, but i bought the black cordo on the grant last with double leather sole. of all the lasts i have/tried, grant is by far my favorite. i wish they did more with it. these boots are insanely comfortable right out of the box, and there's none of that silly barrie heel slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads