***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I think trunks is giving way too much credit to Alden (and their relationships with vendors) - IMO this is a situation where they have more current work than they can adequately handle and something has (or, as some people are experience from a QC perspective, many things have) to give. When they offered one color edge trim/welting things were easy. With the explosion in Alden "one-offs" they haven't added people or modified control systems and we are all seeing the results. Now I am not an Alden apologist (I have spent all summer dealing with the challenges of their ever-evolving restoration policy) but in this economic environment I can understand why they may be reluctant to expand capacity - I can understand it but I certainly don't appreciate it.

Burning bright - I too am intrigued by B. Nelson but let's not forget Brooks Shoe Service in our (my - and I'm assuming yours unless City by the Lake is referring to Cleveland) backyard. They do amazing work as well. Talk to Mike.

2. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Maybe I'll give them a call and check them out. Do you know off-hand what they have in the way of commando-type soles?

And please, you really think I would admit to living in Cleveland? :)

3. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I was going to order the two-tone longwings from Unionmade and they already sold out of my size. I knew I should have pulled the trigger yesterday! :fu:

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello lhs

5. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

NAMOR, check your pm. I sent you the information you will need to return the boots for repair. :)

6. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

This would look great if the added tassels on.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

7. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

Here are the #8 chukka boot leather questions I had a few pages back, now with pictures:

Is the color variation on the front half of the boot on the left a problem?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this darker, duller area just in front of where my big toe knuckle would be, which appears to be some sort of blemish, a problem?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will these issues settle in time as the leather ages? Do these issues merit trying to return them?

8. lambchop

lambchop Well-Known Member

That looks totally normal to me. I wouldn't worry about it.

9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

It may just be your photography, but I don't know what in the hell your're talking about. All the shells I've had, except black, change shades in areas, some more than others. It adds to the character of the leather, imo. If you dont' like that look then stick to calf or shark or stingray or croc/gator - see the G&G thread.

10. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

today i bought my first alden, a #8 long wing B
    the salesperson told me that for #8, the wrinkle on the shoes and stretched part of the shoe when you're wearing them long enough, will become so-called "de-colourised"
    this is perfectly normal and it is one of the reasons people buying #8, the black cordovan does not have this property.

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

They look totally normal. If you don't like this look then shell isn't for you. On the other hand your shoes could use about 50 hours of brushing. Hit them with a damp cloth, then a dry one. Then buff until you get sick of it. They will look a lot nicer after a few rounds.

12. Beaniecooper

Beaniecooper Member

Does anyone have experience with Hampton last in E width? I wear 9.5D in Barrie/Trubalance or 10D in Plaza. Thanks.

13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I find the Hampton to be no narrower than the Plaza - though it is somewhat shorter. If you take a 10D in the Plaza you might be able to get away with a D in the Hampton.

14. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I've decided to go this route, and have already exchanged e-mails with Nick at B. Nelson. I just can't bring myself to paying close to 200 bucks for Alden to do a resole I'll have to live with, as opposed to what I want. I'll post some pics here when I get them back.

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.