***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

2. terradilavoro

terradilavoro Senior member

Thank you very much for this, PMac. I would love to buy the Cigar PTB 11/D - my size on Barie.....but...hmmm....is it only in my eyes? The flat 360 welt with light antique finish works fine for me BUT the plantation crepe sole / the proportions disturbs me way to far to trigger them. Especially in side view [​IMG] So i do have to wait for next TSM 2nds list. Antique finish sole would be great with Cigar... cheers Joachim

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

3. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Cool. Thanks.

4. gasoline

gasoline Senior member

Is this anything to worry about? I noticed a tear in the leather by the bottom eyelet on my 405 Indy's. Boots are about a week old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

doesn't look too bad. is the only deficiency of your pair? if so, consider yourself fortunate

:fistbump:

6. gasoline

gasoline Senior member

7. gasoline

gasoline Senior member

I guess what I'm really wondering is, will it likely get worse? Do defects like this generally hold up under continuous wear?

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I've seen much worse sold as first quality at the Alden store in SF.

9. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

Does anyone know where I might get a pair of PTB in chrome excel on something other than the mini lug sole? I was just about set to go for the 9432S (http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...432s_ald_m_plain_toe_blucher_barrie_last.html) and just deal with the mini lug until it was time for a re-sole, but all this talk about Alden not changing soles anymore has got me spooked. If only I were a 10.5D I would go for these at a sweet discount http://shop.winnperry.com/products/alden-94320c-brown-chromexcel-plain-toe. That mini lug just doesn't do it for me.

10. gasoline

gasoline Senior member

That's exactly where I got them. What the eff man!

11. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

Actually, I didn't buy them for myself. I work at Unionmade and help come up with the custom make-ups. I was just showing them to the forum. They are amazing boots though!

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

oh ok. I cant believe I havent been to the Unionmade store yet. Is the inventory that you see online available in-store?

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

will B. Nelson increase a pair of boots by a width?

14. trunks206

trunks206 Senior member

On the topic of resoling, unless I'm off base wouldn't the simple explanation for not allowing custom orders be that if you got to choose the sole configurations you could remake special make-ups which are exclusive to a specific retailer? As followers of this thread you will know that often times the only thing that makes a shoe exclusive/ a special make up for a store is the sole.

Ex. Natural Chromexcel Longwings:
    Leathersoul's make-up has a crepe sole, Epaulet has a flex-welt oiled sole, and Winn Perry's had a commando sole.

Allowing a person to get a resole job to a non original sole could/would undermine the agreement Alden has with its retailers. (seeing the Leffot x Edward Green MTO fiasco on here also shows that protecting retailers special make-up designs is not just exclusive to Alden either.)

If I were say someone like Tom and imagined and designed a pretty sweet make-up and saw people going to another Alden retailer buying a similar shoe with a different sole and watched them later be allowed to remake my design through Alden when a resole was needed/or wanted would upset me.

Again I don't know if this is the actual case but imo it seems to be the logical explanation especially considering the recent boom in popularity of Aldens and even more specifically the popularity of special make-ups from retailers/boutiques.

15. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

A good, but troubling point if it's true. I get the concept of exclusivity for the rest of the shoe/boot, but the sole? Really? I mean often in these cases when we're talking about resoling we're talking about a person's safety. Anyone on here who has had the unfortunate opportunity to try and walk on a sheet of ice or even a really dry powder snow knows what they're in for with a leather sole and it ain't good.

You'd think a shoe company based in a region known for their sucky winters would be very aware of that and relate to a person who wants a commando sole instead of bruises or strained muscles from trying to keep one's balance.

I'll have to check out B. Nelson's re-soling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.