***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

my building in CT swayed and we ran to the stairway

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

i second the recommendation. call nick the owner at 212-750-7669. he has customized shoes for me and the work is o/s

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 4 and black saddles
    argyles otc

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Yes, these are the J Crew version..
    Tell me about it. Very, very poor customer service. You'd think they'd connect the dots that those asking for details like those are those likely to appreciate their product and likely to buy again. As much as I like Alden, and the dozen and a half pair in my closet are a testament to that, this left a very bad taste in my mouth. I mean, how f*cking hard can it be to tell the guy on the floor "Hey Joe, he wants commandos on those shoes..."?
    Wow, I just do not like these at all. I think it is the thickness of the sole up front, makes them look like orthopaedic shoes..
    The only place I have ever seen these is at Shoemart, where they are model number 45625H. They apparently still have em'

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

+1. Horrible, horrible customer service track record. I will say that I have had many pleasant experiences with Alden. But for every positive experience their has been an equally negative one. For what you are getting (horrible QC, CS, inflexible restoration options), Alden is a rip-off at full retail.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

6. l1mab3an

l1mab3an Senior member

So my Alden captoes from jcrew came today and the first speed hook on the bottom right is clamped shut.. Should I pry it open or send it back?

7. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Even worse, Alden is getting less flexible every year. 3 years ago they would re-last shoes to adjust width during a re-craft. That policy is long gone - it sounds like we can forget about changing up the soles now too.

I still like the looks of many Aldens, but the shitty QC/CS, inflexibility, and increasing prices are making it so that I'm no longer consider them a viable brand.

9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I like 'em - maybe they're a nubuck rather than suede?

10. l1mab3an

l1mab3an Senior member

Saw that threading was coming lose and the one leather flap can be pulled up.... they are going back.

11. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I got a pair back from a recraft about 6 weeks ago: Alden downlasted them from 9.5 D to 9 E, and they switched from commando to double leather soles. I'm a little confused about the reports that they won't do these things. It was also $140, not the $200 mentioned earlier. When you factor in the trees, refinishing and round trip shipping included in the cost, I think it's an excellent deal.

I went through the Alden shop in SF, if that makes a difference.

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

That is surprising. This is the first time I've every heard of Alden going down a length.

13. Dinosarti

Dinosarti Senior member

Quick question from a new Alden fan - 4 pairs in cordovan and counting. I saw the Alden for J. Crew and wondered if it was the same quality as you would get from Alden San Francisco for example.

The reason I ask is the I know makers like Ferragamo strip down there products for the masses at places like Nordstrom (studio=glue) versus the stuff at their stores.

Thanks!

14. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

Were you wearing these with shorts?

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

As I understand it, there are a couple of "levels" of quality, differentiated by leather linings vs. cotton duck, but I think most of the shoes you'll see from J. Crew, Epaulet, etc, are of the higher quality leather lined variety. The original Indy is cotton duck, however, even at Alden SF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.