1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blues4life

blues4life Active Member

I was just about ready to by an Indy boot in #8 and saw your pic. Completely changed my mind. Thanks for the beautiful pic of your shoes.

2. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

yea that scratch is nothing i've gotten more scratches than that on my aldens on only a few wears. i also don't do anything crazy in them just walk in them. i always get a kick out of anytime someone posts a tiny scratch or another tiny flaw that you couldn't even notice unless you stared at them.

i also agree that the price hikes are starting to not match the quality i mean i thought they where raising prices for a reason maybe its because they see that they should now when they are getting popular.

3. blues4life

blues4life Active Member

And this is the pic I was talking about. ;)

4. Roggie Rog

Roggie Rog Well-Known Member

Brother, you are awesome! I feel you on that. Although, I have to say that I don't think even a single malt would help me, LOL. I'm a perfectionist: when I'm buying a plaid shirt, I always carefully inspect to see that the patterns line up. That can be sickening sometimes and not worth the energy of worry, however.

Anyhow, I agree with the others: wear the shoe and enjoy it. It will most likely be taken care of via the recommended paste wax method; but either way, it will still develop scuffs. You won't notice it after a month of wearing.

5. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

as others have said a bit differently, you should either

- be ok with with Alden sends you
    - stop buying Aldens

if you are ok waiting 12 months (!) for a custom makeup, you can find something pretty sweet in the same price range from someone else. at the end of the day, not much difference between $730 and $900 or w/e. or $600.

vote with your wallet

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  6. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Let's be honest, Aldens are quirky. You are just not going to find a perfect pairs of Aldens. What I am most interested in is how they discern what is a factory second and first quality. I have several pairs of seconds that vary in imperfections, however, a few pairs of seconds that I do have, the flaws are so negligible, you would swear they are "first quality" or at a minimum, better than the first quality pairs that I do have. Go figure.

7. fredmull

fredmull Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked these LS's up from a SuFu-er. So nice. The laces were his idea.

8. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

The funny thing is, I do have a few pair of perfect Aldens. Purely chance...

9. applky

applky Senior member

10. Burton

Burton Senior member

I think this is a really unfair post to Tom and Leather Soul. I know both Tom and Steven, I think they both try very hard to run good shops providing product to a very quirky crowd. I cannot imaginve how frustrating some days must be for them. Look, both are at the mercy of Alden which can be (my comments not Steven's or Tom's) be more than a little deaf at times. I became so frustrated this year with the company (not going to get into it) that I canceled an order with Tom. He was a perfect gentlemen and was very understanding. Tom's site is primarily a pictorial blog--for some reason this is extremely difficult for people on this site to comprehend. He does not take orders online and he does not encourage people who are unfamiliar with the products or their sizing to order from his company over the phone. Tom sells a products which is extremely personal. My shoe size ranges from 8E (UK) to 9.5E U.S. Most of the products are handmade and all have substantially less value after the first wear. The depreciation is worse than a Bentley after the first drive. I believe Tom really wants, and behaves as if he wants, every possible customer. That said, if you cannot understand why he has certainly policies and acts in certain ways then you are either a fool or have no appreciation for the fact that he is not running a charity.

11. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

you guys keep talking like leathersoul is the only place to get aldens. aldens have many makeup's with other retailers now. its only a matter time before you get your hands on what you want just the wait. i don't even go to leathersouls page anymore. i mostly just go here or check out other blogs.

12. kippy

kippy Senior member

Perhaps you should re-read my post before calling me out as a fool. My perspective stands as fact. I did not post about it at the time online and my response was rather matter-of-fact. I just took my business elsewhere where getting someone to respond to a simple question like "what do you have in size 9.5e" could be answered directly. If you would like to characterize me as a fool for doing so, perhaps you ought to examine your own intentions. Notice I have said nothing about Tom - I didn't speak to him when I called LS in LA. All you say may be true of Tom's intentions but that really has nothing to do with my business interactions with the LS shop.

Also, let's not lump Steven from Leffot into this - as I mentioned in my post, he did not have anything in my size but was perfectly cordial and responsive over the phone to my inquiries. Enough that I felt comfortable buying a few other items from him. His process and those of other shops seem a bit more democratic or straight forward with regards to shoes and sizes than what I experienced with LS in LA.

Let me make this crystal clear for you - I wish LS the best and I would be happy to buy a shoe from them. They have wonderful and unique makeups. But in the meanwhile, while I wait around, my money goes to other shops who for whatever reason do not have issues supplying me with shoes I love. It seems my perspective is not so unique on this forum.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  13. Burton

Burton Senior member

Right. The record stands as written--let others decide.

14. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Well said, Kippy. Your experience has been similar to mine with LS and although I have purchased a couple of Aldens from LS, my experience with them has always been as if they were doing me a favor by selling me $700 shoes. That's why I HAVE voted with my wallet and prefer to deal with Mike at Epaulet and Steven at Leffot for my Alden needs. Neither of those shops are 'web' stores, but they still seem happy to serve customers outside a limited 'local' reach with superior customer service.

1 person likes this.
  15. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

i agree with this, mike and steve will help you if they can leathersoul at times do seem like they are doing you a big favor. j.crew was doing people favors before with the 25-30% off thing on aldens :).

16. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

If you are referring to the Cordovan that Alden purchases from Horween, the raw hides come from Canada. Only the calf comes from overseas (france etc.)

17. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

that's the only part I disagree with. the deprecation of Aldens - particularly in any sought after/rare model - is stunningly low in the second hand market. even after 1 wear they can be worth 90% of retail, and after a few wears 80%. Allen Edmonds aren't even worth that % of their retail price new.

if you are talking about his other brands, like Lobbs/EG, you might be right, I don't know

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  18. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

There has been a lot of Leather Soul basing lately. Even though i'm not a coke snortin', bespoke rockin', oil tycoon I have had nothing but positive things to say about my transactions with Tom and the LS crew. I know the make-ups are rare and few and far between, but that (to me) is the joy in 'collecting' Aldens. Searching and finding that holy grail shoe. if they were easy to come by they wouldn't be as desirable... imo.

19. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

My vote and my wallet agree with these post.

20. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I don't know Tom so I can't and won't speak about him personally. I can only speak about their business model. The way they do business is their choice and I'm fine with that but don't expect me to try to buy from them. I choose to use other stores that sell Alden's. If LS is good for others then that's great. They do have some nice make-ups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.