***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

FWIW, the shoe mart has been surprisingly good about returning my e-mails and answering my inquiries within one business day. Can PM you the e-mail of the associate that's been helping me if you like.

2. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

Whoa, Namor. I am sorry. The boot was like a tank the few days I had it. I'm sure Alden will replace.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

no worries. they are great boots. cant wait to get them fixed

4. trunks206

trunks206 Senior member

That sucks NOMAR, but as other said I'm sure it will be an easy fix.

I was too busy to add it yesterday but I snapped a pic of my Cigar Cukkas that I wore.

[​IMG]

5. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Nams, thanks to trunks I'm just gonna start calling you Razor Ramon from here on out.

[​IMG]

6. kippy

kippy Senior member

Nice looking Cigar's! I have the same pair and I am really loving that color, even more so than Ravello. Is Cigar the new Ravello? Hmmm...better to just buy them all.

7. kippy

kippy Senior member

Dude, I am just trying to figure out how to hide all the ones I have purchased from my wife. I have a couple of pairs I keep at work. I put some crappy old shoes on in the morning, switch into the Aldens at work and then switch back into my old shoes for the trip home. So far, she knows only about 3 of the 5 pairs I picked up.

I am cheating on my wife with my shoes. :nodding:

8. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Another marriage ruined by Alden...

9. sellran

sellran Senior member

HELP. I just bought an old pair of Alden cordovan #8 PTBs. I want to send them to Alden to get refurbished. I was thinking of getting antique edge trim and commando soles (like on the latest Leffot ravello PTBs). How do I communicate this to Alden to make sure I get what I want? And does anyone have any better suggestion for soles? Perhaps just a simple flex welt? I want these to be comfortable for walking around the city. Think casual. Any advice would be appreciated.

10. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I've just gone through this exact exercise w Alden (retrofitting some shoes/boots with commando soles and antique edge trim). Candidly it was a bit frustrating and involved several shipments between Chicago (my home) and Middleboro (the Promised Land).

The first pair to get completed is a pair of #8 LWB and they look great but it is my understanding that Alden may be implementing a new policy that they will only restore a shoe to its original condition (in other words, if your PTBs were originally built with a double leather sole and black edge trim/welting that's what you'll get back). It's probably worth confirming with Alden before you send them your shoes.

As far as other sole options go, I prefer the commando sole because I live in Chicago and we have several (many?) months of cold/wet weather. The oil treated waterloc sole is great in the wet but horrible once it gets cold & slippery (it's almost as if the leather ices up).

One last thing to consider - having the shoes retrofitted by someone other than Alden. One member had some boots done up with vintage cat's paw soles and heels from a cobbler in NYC and they looked pretty good (without treads the cat's paw might still be a bit slippery but at least they are rubber and not treated leather).

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

good looking cigar chukkas

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 8 nst saddle
    argyles otc

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

haaa, you are killing me

this deserves its own thread. seriously. :nodding:

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

alright, so I got a reply from Alden this morning:

Dear Mr. NAMOR

Thank you for your message.
    You should return the boots Shoe mart, the store in which you purchased them from.
    They will be happy to take care of the repair/replacement for you.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
    Alden Shoe Co

As some of you know, I purchased the boot from another member. If I told theshoemart this, would they still allow me to send in the shoe for repair? Or should I tell them something else? Im sure if I asked for an invoice from the original buyer, he could forward it to me. Mind you these boots have been worn less than 5 times

15. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

i'd ask the original owner, who of which is on this board, to send em back for you. maybe even refund your money because Shoemart will refund or reship, depending if they have another pair.

at least that's what i'd do.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.