***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

and the last
    and the sole
    and the lining
    and the color
    and the cost.

but other than that, it's the exact same shoe!

2. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

An experimental shoe for us: shell cordovan elastic slip-on chukka boot on the Plaza.

[​IMG]

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

this is great. I think i remember seeing this boot in the barrie last. I am in the market for a chelsea boot and this would be a great alternative

4. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

^ +1

Tom, that's a very cool boot. Is that a stock alden pattern or did you guys collaborate on it?

5. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Tom

Very attractive boot - big question is how will it look/feel after lots of use. There needs to be just the right balance allowing enough movement to put it on/take it off while at the same time ensure that the boots fits properly.

Again, LS leads and all others follow!

6. jt2gt

jt2gt Senior member

Thanks for the clarification...I figured there was more than just bdeuce22's quick "is this for real" reply (but then again he does have over 6000 posts here) :D

So...do all those make it a more comfortable easy wearing chukka...is that why everyone is raving about it?

Thanks...JT

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

placed an order for some snuff suede chukkas.

jt, to answer your question and after re-reading your post in a non-bourbon induced state of mind there are differences in both, obvi. your wording made it sound like a lot of people prefer the suede chukkas over the #8 shells. imo, i prefer #8, but both have their place.

Last - suede is typically on the Leydon and the #8 is typically on the Barrie. all depends on your foot. some guys fit in others better, but i don't have that problem.

Sole - Suedes typically have single leather, #8 typically comes in double leather. you can feel the difference, but comfort is the same for me. i have not seen suedes in a commando sole, but #8s sometimes get made up with them. Commando is a really nice sole.

Lining - unlined or lined. doesn't matter to me. unlined may be a little more comfy, but that is debatable since both are comfy.

both serve different purposes for me. IMO, if you can only get one, i'd go with #8 shell, that is if you can spare the extra $$$. i think #8 is bit more versatile, but that's just my opinion and personal taste.

8. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

and i say typically because stores like leffot, leathersoul, AofC, etc do all sorts of combinations of popular models.

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Quick question - to those that have cordovan indy shoes, what do you wear them with? I have my eyes on a pair, but I don't see how I can wear them with anything but jeans or chinos. All my other cordovans can be work with jeans, chinos, slacks and suits. I don't know if I would get full value out of $700 shiny Indy. Plus, I already have a classic Indy with a commando sole for fall/winter. Thoughts? The Indy in question is whiskey

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Cordo Indys work well with cords and tweeds. Heavier flannels too.

11. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

Tom is this for sale?

12. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Alden has the pattern for a lazy-man chukka but no pattern for a balmoral boot? :confused:

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 8 lhs
    sans argyles

14. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

Alden has made balmoral boots in the past. I saw one in person when I was at the factory. I don't know why they stopped... sounds like there is still some interest in the style.
    Balmoral boots don't feel very "Alden" to me. I don't know their history, but I've always thought of them as more of an English type of shoe.

15. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Really? They are considered to be more dressy. To be clear pics below to illustrate exactly what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    /

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.