1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAF-8AF

AAF-8AF Well-Known Member

Thanks, Uncle Mac!

2. kingscoat

kingscoat New Member

best ketchup colored shoelace

3. 1wb

1wb Senior member

I got a shipping notice this week from J.Crew for a pair of #8 captoe boots originally scheduled for shipment in mid-January.

I figured that I would be getting a beat-up pair that had been returned by at least one previous buyer, and that they would soon be on their way back to J.Crew.

When I received them, to my surprise, they were a pretty much flawless specimen - stitching was all perfect, clearly unworn with no creasing or markings on the soles. As many others have reported, they did not come in an Alden box, but rather a plain J.Crew one, with no bags.

My problem is with the finish: it is a very light red. I have purchased some other pairs of #8 shoes from BB in the past that had clearly been in the stockroom for a few years, where the finish had begun to lighten, etc. These appear to be new, just lacking the dark purple color I am accustomed to seeing. Back they go, I guess.

I put them next to a 5 year old pair of BB perf. toe bals for comparison - even with a few years of wearing, the BB pair is clearly much darker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Here's a couple of shots of the #8 vintage Hanovers I was talking about:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    2 people like this.
  5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Are these both on Barrie? They look different

6. 1wb

1wb Senior member

Nope. The BB perf. toe on the left is on BB's "Snap" last, which is close to the Hampton, but more rounded, and the J.Crew boot obviously is Barrie last.

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    cigar nst
    argyles otc

8. applky

applky Senior member

If I had a dime for every time someone complained about a pair of Aldens they bought from J Crew I could buy a wardrobe of shells from Leffot, Epaulet, LS, and the Alden stores.

9. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

FLex Long Wings

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

I don't get this, you sound shocked if not disappointed that J crew sent you a brand new pair instead of one that was a return. Also I am pretty sure that the color is not J crew's fault so much as it is Alden's. Of course if you only want to buy new deadstock BB shell you are entitled to do that. But from the sounds of it, it was a "flawless" pair and likely to get a rich color with sun exposure like most pairs of #8. Good luck with your search for the perfect pair of Aldens.

11. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Have you ever used Saphir Renovateur? Once you use that, you will need nothing else.

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I thank this thread for steering me clear of the collabs and just going straight for the good stuff.

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

J Crew more or less offers no questions asked returns; therefore they have lots of tried on merchandise, old merchandise, etc. They likely send this stuff to people ordering online. The best way to deal with J Crew is to go to the store and inspect the merchandise yourself.

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Rules from buying "brand" shoes from J Crew

1) inspect the shoes before buying
    2) focus on exclusive models

I have J Crew suede PTBs from Alden that I like; also, their chromexel longwings are also good. But try them out first

Edit - I will say I love the J Crew Quoddy models I have, all are superbly built

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  15. 1wb

1wb Senior member

Thank you for that helpful insight. Like many here, my Alden collection numbers in the double digits, so I am fairly familiar with what I am buying. The point of my post, which was not clear, was that I expected to receive a beat-up pair of previously returned boots. Instead, I got new boots, albeit a pair that was nonetheless defective because it was dyed incorrectly. I have never seen a new pair of #8 in such a light red color - and that includes visits to Alden SF, NY & DC, Sherman Bros., J. Gilbert, and retailers in the Boston area.

16. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

It's your perogative to return them and since it's J Crew it shouldn't be any problem at all, but I don't think they're defective.
    I got a pair of those J Crew boots too. Mine are defintiely lighter and redder than other #8s I have. But I think the color difference is well
    within the range of normal variance. I prefer the shade on my J Crew ones too. It seems as long as the pair match in shade, I wouldn't call them defective. Alden gets a lot of deserved crap about their quality control, but I don't think this is a case here.

17. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I feel like its been widely discussed how there's variance in all colors of shell that alden releases. (e.g. older cigar having a green cast to the more recent dark brown, darker whiskey that looks like a light ravello, lighter ravello that looks like whiskey...)

chalk it up to the nuances of a natural material and a man made process.

If you want uniformity get a black calf shoe made from corrected grain and call it a day.

18. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I've seen a few pair of very light bright purple #8's at the Alden shop in SF that look similar to your picture. They happily pulled out all their shoes in my size and let me pick the pair with my preferred color.

I probably wouldn't wear shoes whose color looks like your picture appears on my monitor.

19. vivalet

vivalet Senior member

Besides making sure your new shoes fit, what does this mac method do better than just wearing them?

Is the mac method to be applied even with a pair of shoes you know fit correctly and you will want to keep and wear? Or is this mac method purely to decide if you want to keep the shoes?

20. vivalet

vivalet Senior member

you have and eyelet above a speed hook? Never seen that before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.