1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

+1 This

2. interlockingny

interlockingny Well-Known Member

How do they compare to your 4060 boots? They almost look like they are on the Grant last since the Plaza last is more squared out at the ball of the foot and the front of the shoe.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I think in addition to the storm welting and double sole, a 360 (compared to 270) degree stitching also makes a difference. I recently ordered the LS Cigar Wingtip which is on a plaza, 270 degree welt stitching, and (I think) single leather. The combination is akin to a dress shoe construction exept that it is a boot. Good combination for suits.

Funny I have been having buyer's remorse from these boots (even if I have yet to receive them) because I am afraid the color/look will be too similar to my C&J Islay...

I have a #8 boot that is a plaintoe x single welt x 270 and they pretty much look like dress shoes so they work well when I wear suits. They are also pretty sleek (even on a Modified last).

4. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

WTF, looks like Grant to me

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

1) It's definitely not barrie or truebalance. It may be either a grant last or a Plaza in E 2) The boot looks good IMO (though I think I have a bit different taste than yours in Aldens). My grant lasted cigar boots in 10E are probably my second favorite Aldens (after the ravello tassels). That said, just get in touch with J Gilbert and send them back if you don't want them

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  6. 1wb

1wb Well-Known Member

Those J. Gilbert boots are definitely Plaza - in my experience, the soft square toe often appears more dramatic in photos (especially from the side) than it does in person, looking straight down at them.

7. AAF-8AF

AAF-8AF Well-Known Member

Long time lurker checking in.

Yesterday I was in the Alden DC store and picked up a new shoe care product to try, called Alden Leather Defender. It's made for shell cordovan and calfskin. One of the supposed benefits is that it can help reduce or prevent the dreaded water spotting on shell.

I tried it out last night on a pair of whiskey shell chukkas that were in need of some attention anyway. I was pretty happy with the results. The creases in the chukkas were dry and rough and somewhat dirty, and the treatment did clean them up a lot and make them smoother. Overall, the treatment added a nice shine to the shoes that was very slippery and glossy, but by this morning they were a bit less so but still noticeable. And the leather did feel a bit more supple. With little effort they looked like I'd spent an hour giving them the Mac Treatment. I can't say for sure that there was any darkening since these were rather darkened already a bit from age, but I don't think so.

Since I really don't know much at all about this product and could not find anything from web and forum searching, I sent an e-mail to Horween to see if they have any thoughts on it. I haven't used any of the other common shell products, like Venetian, so I have no comparison to offer.

The 4 oz bottle is a misting sprayer. Here's what it says on the bottle:

"Use Alden Leather Defender to clean and protect calfskin and genuine shell cordovan Alden shoes. Not for use on Suede or Nubuck.

"Directions: Apply Alden Leather Defender to a soft cloth and wipe shoes thoroughly. Let dry. Turn cloth and buff gently. For best results allow leather to dry completely before wearing shoes.

"Safety: Alden Leather Defender is water-based and environmentally benign. Do not take internally. If accidentally ingested, please call physician immediately.

"Made in USA."

Sorry if this sounds like a shill, but I just wanted to pass this along to anyone who might be interested. Besides, this whole thread is like a shill anyway :D

Oh, and there's a new staff member at Alden DC. She seems to know shoes pretty well and was fun to talk with.

[​IMG]

8. advan031

advan031 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I brush them...a lot

9. interlockingny

interlockingny Well-Known Member

Those look terrific. Thanks for sharing.

10. kingscoat

kingscoat New Member

Are you hungry?
    It looks Hotdog to me.

11. kingscoat

kingscoat New Member

>advan031
    brush them...a lot

Are you hungry?
    It looks like Hotdog.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  12. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

AF-8AF...you may have just set a record for longest membership before first post.

13. AAF-8AF

AAF-8AF Well-Known Member

Yeah. I just don't have enough boots :D

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

yeah me neither, I really need to step it up :satisfied:

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

16. fitchottie

fitchottie Well-Known Member

Wearing the Brown Longwings for Jcrew.... again supper comfy and super soft...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. HorseHide

HorseHide Well-Known Member

Just ordered a bottle of "Leather Defender" (sounds like a kinky super hero) from Alden DC - they mentioned they have a natural CXL tassel with waterloc sole on order for Spring. Could be a nice add.

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,
    thank you

19. mcarthur

nephew,
    welcome!

20. mcarthur

you have done a good job

Thread Status: