• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mechanical pencil
I've been bugging Tom at Leathersoul to do some wing-tip boots plaza last in calf but he has no plans to. Anyway, I think I might need an E width in those. Might just order them from Alden directly someday...
J. Gilbert Footwear in Seattle still have some of their plaza last calfskin wingtip boots.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hokiefan
Hello SF!

Long time "lurker" but first time posting.

Recently I purchased a pair of Alden Indy's in cordovan #8. To say I'm pleased with them would be an incredible understatement! I've now got the fever and think I will look for the perfect pair of black Alden lace-ups.

My question to all the Alden fans is...between the AF-43 (on the same last as the Indy's) and the Af-60's (plaza last) which boot would you choose if you mainly wanted to wear them in casual situations? (jeans, chinos, etc).

I love them both but rarely need to wear a suit so wondered what everyone would choose between the two if they wanted this to be their go-to black boot for mostly streetwear applications. Thanks.

I would take the AF-43 hands down, no comparison. But you must consider that these two boots have completely different vibes. The AF-43 comes off as a combat boot. The AF-60 is much dressier.

kit99bar

Reaction score
do you say this because of the differences in the last (Plaza is smaller)?

Originally Posted by A Harris
I would take the AF-43 hands down, no comparison. But you must consider that these two boots have completely different vibes. The AF-43 comes off as a combat boot. The AF-60 is much dressier.

Hokiefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris

That makes me ask then...if you primarily wore OCBD's and polo's in the summer with jeans and chino's, would that still be the choice. I just don't have access to go see these boots myself. I want the one that I could wear to work (resort casual) but still rock frequently with jeans and buttondowns. Thanks!

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What kind of sole does this indy have? The heel is rubber, but what about the forefoot?
I am not sure if it is leather or not.
1P_405.jpg

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its the regular Alden Indy.

the sole, i believe, is made of cork, and yes, a rubber heel

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Alden shoes.
How durable are cork compared to rubber? Good enough for a few days of rain a year? How's the traction on it? Better than leather I presume?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leonard Leroy
IMG_2759.jpg

When I first got them after bugging Tom to make them over and over and over.

They look loved now.

what model/ last are those?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Alden shoes.
How durable are cork compared to rubber? Good enough for a few days of rain a year? How's the traction on it? Better than leather I presume?

Seems to be pretty durable.
Traction in the wet is a lot better than leather.
They're not even too bad when worn hiking in the rain although they're not ideal for that. I was on vacation in Alaska and went to see spawning salmon. Yay for dead salmon and pouring rain. But the Indy's were the only pair of suitable shoes I had.

I'd go for the ultimate Indy from Leather Soul though. They're nicer made and have the commando sole.
Of course they cost about $100 more than the standard Indy.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Seems to be pretty durable.
Traction in the wet is a lot better than leather.
They're not even too bad when worn hiking in the rain although they're not ideal for that. I was on vacation in Alaska and went to see spawning salmon. Yay for dead salmon and pouring rain. But the Indy's were the only pair of suitable shoes I had.

I'd go for the ultimate Indy from Leather Soul though. They're nicer made and have the commando sole.
Of course they cost about $100 more than the standard Indy.

I have considered ordering from them but I am too impatient when it comes to items and from what I heard, most of the time they take a while to arrive. Plus I am going to need an EE on this one and it looks like most of their size at Leather Soul are D's. I'm not sure with sizing for these either so I want to give theShoemart.com a try since I can return and exchange them without much of a problem.

Thanks for the tip and help, it has helped me with my decision.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I have considered ordering from them but I am too impatient when it comes to items and from what I heard, most of the time they take a while to arrive. Plus I am going to need an EE on this one and it looks like most of their size at Leather Soul are D's. I'm not sure with sizing for these either so I want to give theShoemart.com a try since I can return and exchange them without much of a problem.

Thanks for the tip and help, it has helped me with my decision.

I understand about the impatient bit.
Shoe Mart is pretty good. That's where I got my 405s.

I wonder if you need the EE width though.
If you can wear Paul Smith Ricards, you might not need the EE.
For reference, I wear 11US Ricards and 10.5D Indy boots.

Try not to get hooked on the Indy though. I ended up with 5 pairs.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Try not to get hooked on the Indy though. I ended up with 5 pairs.

I'll try, but after seeing all the pics in this thread, it might just be the same as with the PS obsession.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads