• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grant Last + 9 Eyelets + Double Oak soles!!!

"Hello, SF Police... I'd like to report a case of stolen footwear preferences and possibly mistaken identity. He goes by @Vincent George, but his new pre-order is exactly the specs (down the last) that I love! Please allow this person to continue collaborating with other Alden dealers! I repeat, please allow him to continue pitching make-ups to Alden!" - HisHeirness23
Guilty as charged.

LeatherSoul did a version in 2011 on Barrie w/ split welt and commando. Leffot did the same with hooks. Before my time in Aldens, but a base that I always liked when browsing old photos.

Yenni was kind enough to run it with my specs. Named after my grandfather.

Photos credits: LeatherSoul and a Reddit user “bonersaurus-rex”

IMG_3931.jpeg
IMG_3933.jpeg

Shrewboy

Reaction score
Odd request, but does anyone on the list have both 379x and Modified lasted shoes that they could picture side by side? I'd convinced myself that the Modified last was the only one that I could wear comfortably after years of training my toes to spread in Lems, Birkenstocks, and Altras. I tried Van, Trubalance, Barrie, Trusquare, Classic (I think that's what it was called, older loafers) and probably a few others but no luck. It's not the volume, it's the absence of that curve the Modified last offers that seems to be the trick. But reading about 379x I'm now wondering if they have enough of the same anatomic curve to work. Push come to shove, I'll order a pair and roll the dice but it never hurts to ask, right?

jellyroller

Reaction score
Odd request, but does anyone on the list have both 379x and Modified lasted shoes that they could picture side by side? I'd convinced myself that the Modified last was the only one that I could wear comfortably after years of training my toes to spread in Lems, Birkenstocks, and Altras. I tried Van, Trubalance, Barrie, Trusquare, Classic (I think that's what it was called, older loafers) and probably a few others but no luck. It's not the volume, it's the absence of that curve the Modified last offers that seems to be the trick. But reading about 379x I'm now wondering if they have enough of the same anatomic curve to work. Push come to shove, I'll order a pair and roll the dice but it never hurts to ask, right?

I can’t help you with that specific request but you may find this helpful
IMG_3162.jpeg

jellyroller

Reaction score
Also 379x sizing guidance from Brogue:

We suggest you to take 1/2 size larger than your Barrie last if you have a wide and high arch foot. Otherwise, take the same size as your barrie last.

BAK

Reaction score
Not as dramatic as Modified, but 379X does have some curve/swing.
modified 379x.png

Bavo

Reaction score
L 379x and R Modified
IMG_3713.jpeg
IMG_3714.jpeg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both of these lasts fit me really well, and I would say the Modified is my favorite for fit. The 379x is similar, but with less instep room. You can feel that both lasts are related. I have found so far that I need to go down 1/2 size in the Modified, but staying true to size fits perfectly in the 379x for me.

dme2406

Reaction score
Both of these lasts fit me really well, and I would say the Modified is my favorite for fit. The 379x is similar, but with less instep room. You can feel that both lasts are related. I have found so far that I need to go down 1/2 size in the Modified, but staying true to size fits perfectly in the 379x for me.
The two lasts fit me exactly the same way; so consequently, I try to purchase the modified last in a C width (as opposed to a D) when I can find it - - as opposed to going down half size in length. Moulded Shoe in NYC orders some C widths for their modified lasts models from time to time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads