• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Planning my next purchases is driving me crazy. Decisions, decisions!

Color #8 LWB +
snuff suede LHS loafers

or

Color #8 LHS loafers +
snuff suede LWB

Any considerations? I’m tending towards the second pair. None of these is redundant in my collection as I have no LWB yet, no cordovan shoes and only one loafer.
What type of pants do you wear the most in order of 1-3

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Planning my next purchases is driving me crazy. Decisions, decisions!

Color #8 LWB +
snuff suede LHS loafers

or

Color #8 LHS loafers +
snuff suede LWB

Any considerations? I’m tending towards the second pair. None of these is redundant in my collection as I have no LWB yet, no cordovan shoes and only one loafer.
Think this also depends on your personal style and how you plan on wearing each. Love both of these combinations, but if it were me, I'd go for the first.

I really only wear loafers in warm weather (or cause I'm too lazy to throw some socks on) and suede loafers are super easy to put on and kick off. The Color 8 LWB is a classic and versatile enough to dress up and dress down.

My Dad, on the other hand, wears exclusively penny loafers in leather for everything! I bought him a Color 8 LHS and he'll wear that with a suit and nice jeans to go out to dinner with my Mom. So just depends on how your style is.

tuna roll

Reaction score
What type of pants do you wear the most in order of 1-3
Good question.

1- khakis
2- navy chinos
3- white chinos
4- charcoal flannels (adding a 4th because all these get used regularly)

@Hisheirness23 where I live it’s moderately warm year-round so I’m usually like your dad, wearing loafers everywhere. Actually I’m pretty sure I’ll end up buying both LHS loafers in the short term (Color #8 and suede), they’ll certainly see a lot of wear.

So my decision is mostly on the LWB. I was tending towards suede as it looks a bit more casual (matching how I dress) and possibly more breathable for warm weather (?). But yeah, I can see both working well so no wrong choices here.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question.

1- khakis
2- navy chinos
3- white chinos
4- charcoal flannels (adding a 4th because all these get used regularly)

@Hisheirness23 where I live it’s moderately warm year-round so I’m usually like your dad, wearing loafers everywhere. Actually I’m pretty sure I’ll end up buying both LHS loafers in the short term (Color #8 and suede), they’ll certainly see a lot of wear.

So my decision is mostly on the LWB. I was tending towards suede as it looks a bit more casual (matching how I dress) and possibly more breathable for warm weather (?). But yeah, I can see both working well so no wrong choices here.

As you’ve said, there is no wrong choice here as you’ve picked two classic and versatile makes. For me, option 2 always made the most sense and when you posted your slacks of choice, it just made the case for option 2 that much stronger. For me personally, like @Hisheirness23 dad, I can wear C8 LHS’s with pretty much anything (san’s a suit with a tie) but I am much less comfortable going casual with a C8 LWB. But I am fine going casual with a suede LWB. Additionally, I think the suede LWB is one of Alden’s more underrated makes. Just seems to gobble up the compliments at a very high rate.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im going to put a wrench in this and say get color 8 for both so you always have a shell in rotation as both can go up or down. The loafer lower down and the lwb higher up.

I suspect later you will want a suede loafer too

Last edited:

LJ1891

Reaction score
As you’ve said, there is no wrong choice here as you’ve picked two classic and versatile makes. For me, option 2 always made the most sense and when you posted your slacks of choice, it just made the case for option 2 that much stronger. For me personally, like @Hisheirness23 dad, I can wear C8 LHS’s with pretty much anything (san’s a suit with a tie) but I am much less comfortable going casual with a C8 LWB. But I am fine going casual with a suede LWB. Additionally, I think the suede LWB is one of Alden’s more underrated makes. Just seems to gobble up the compliments at a very high rate.
+1 if you mostly wear more casual trousers like chinos, khakis etc. then the loafers are a “shoe in”. if i understand correctly, you already wear loafers and they fit well within your wardrobe and style right?

I enjoy mine.
IMG_1898.jpeg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you go with, my thanks for starting the conversation. I come here primarily for the shoes but also for the conversation. The Alden thread is the gem of SF in no small part due to conversations like this.

Switching gears, I’m not as consistent as I once was with maintenance or I should be with brushing after each wear. For me, I leave the laces undone to remind me that maintenance is needed. For today, 3 keepers. A quick before…….

image.jpg

And after wiping and brushing……

image.jpg

Not a bit of product. Wiping and brushing. Nothing beats Alden shell. Happy Sunday gang! Have a great day.

Last edited:

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you go with, my thanks for starting the conversation. I come here primarily for the shoes but also for the conversation. The Alden thread is the gem of SF in no small part due to conversations like this.

Switching gears, I’m not as consistent as I once was with maintenance or I should be with brushing after each wear. For me, I leave the laces undone to remind me that maintenance is needed. For today, 3 keepers. A quick before…….

View attachment 2142553

View attachment 2142559

Not a bit of product. Wiping and brushing. Nothing beats Alden shell. Happy Sunday gang! Have a great day.
Old Bronze :worship2:

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2142553

View attachment 2142559

Those bronze are insane, such a cool color and looks almost green

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah, Alden can call them whatever the heck they want but to me, these are the coolest shade of green footwear ever! Completely agree @PACostag.
Couple years ago I was standing inside Madison holding a size 8.5D Old Bronze Jumpers in my hands and for some strange reason I turned them down. Of course I could kick myself now but I always wonder who ended up with them lol. Definitely a statement piece for anyone’s collection.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh my @sterlingindigo, that is an insane story. I think I got your boots. Back story, I always appreciate it when Madison reaches out to me but I also understand I am on their ‘B’ list (I get called for Ravello and Cigar but not C2, C4, or Whisky). I get it and take no offense. Which is why I was stunned when they reached out on the OB’s. The really ironic part of the story is that, like you, I was conflicted. Reached out to for some expert advice and @MrDV advised that the OB’s were his most interesting pair of footwear, and with his collection, that is high praise indeed. Pulled the trigger and completely agree, they are easily my most interesting pair of footwear.

Long winded way of saying thanks! I am convinced I have the pair you passed on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads