• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

CLH03

Reaction score
Lol don’t i know it.

I am leaning to the chamois for the same reasons you outlined. For fully dressy and proper wool suits I have shoes. If I ever find a tweed suit then I would wear boots with that. Otherwise it is more casual outfits.

I didn’t know there was a dark green…. Now I have real problems. Is it a special offering or shop that has it?
The dark green is no longer offered by Alden but you might be able to find some makeups lying around on eBay or something like that

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Leffot tanker used to be my favorite and I was fortunate enough to get one years ago, before I nailed the sizing. Ultimately sold it and kept missing out when they offered it. It was the only Split I knew of with commando, antique, and a flat welt. I loved that design. This one caught my eye because of the recent discussion on neocork (which I love) but I do miss the old design.

I’m not tempted but thought some may be…….

tuna roll

Reaction score
I didn’t know there was a dark green…. Now I have real problems. Is it a special offering or shop that has it?
Mmmm actually I'm not sure they do chamois in dark green. I was thinking about my suede chukkas when I wrote that (forgot the exact name of this color).

IMG_4953.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been thinking about it since C-19. I’m ITO much less (though now I am close to back normal) and even when ITO, the dress dynamic has changed. But the biggest driver quite honestly has been my recent decision to retire. Having all of this footwear sit on the rack on the off chance that I may wear them is far different than having them collect dust when I know I won’t wear them.

What I didn’t expect was just how liberating it would be. Maybe because I have been thinking about it since C-19 but as I kept listing pair after pair, I kept feeling a little bit better. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve still got a ton of really nice footwear so I won’t be crashing the Goodwill anytime soon. But for me, at this stage of my life, it was time.

I find myself in the same situation with my collection. My transition to retirement is nearly complete and I just do not have the occasion to wear my shoes as before and many need to find a new home where they will be worn and appreciated. I think everyone has seen what I wear. So I am throwing out an invitation for a DM if you are interested in something specific. All sizes are 11 to 12 EEE.

slows2k

Reaction score
The Leffot tanker used to be my favorite and I was fortunate enough to get one years ago, before I nailed the sizing. Ultimately sold it and kept missing out when they offered it. It was the only Split I knew of with commando, antique, and a flat welt. I loved that design. This one caught my eye because of the recent discussion on neocork (which I love) but I do miss the old design.

I’m not tempted but thought some may be…….

Yeah these are a home run for me, but I don't know if I can swing it. I wish I had known these were coming as I would have prepared in advance. I just had my pre-ordered Villager Boots delivered and am now wondering if I can sell a different pair to snag these too. They tend to sell out VERY quickly.

DrJezza

Reaction score
Yeah these are a home run for me, but I don't know if I can swing it. I wish I had known these were coming as I would have prepared in advance. I just had my pre-ordered Villager Boots delivered and am now wondering if I can sell a different pair to snag these too. They tend to sell out VERY quickly.
Darnit, I was on the fence on these and the 12D just sold out D:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another pair that I can’t imagine parting with. C4 wings on my favorite Alden boot last, Grant. And of course, a beautiful view of our city………

image.jpg image.jpg

Happy Friday gang. Have a great day!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought these reverse chamois chukkas as an excellent rainy day pair, which is true. The problem with that is that I have only thought of them on rainy days and they get ignored. They are getting some deserved time in good weather today.

IMG_3708.JPG

LJ1891

Reaction score
Greetings all!

I have a pair of calfskin LHS in 8.5E. My Brannock size is 9, so I went with the usual “half size down” with the Van last and it feels good. Been using it for a couple of years now.

Now I’m looking at the 986 (shell cordovan LHS). Is there any difference in fit / sizing between calf and shell LHSs that I should be aware of?

I’m also considering an unlined suede LHS. Again, any difference in fit compared to calf LHS?

Thanks!
can’t comment on any differences between the calf skin and unlined suede. but, if you’re satsified with how the calf fits then you should be ok with the same size in the cordovan. i have both and am speaking from my experiences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads