• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For my color starved Alden brothers, who are stuck in a black and brown world...if you're looking for color variation these might work - they just arrived yesterday from the UK, a pair of C&J Boston loafers, in green country calf with "city sole" rubber soles...A G fitting, 10.5 UK, very similar to a Alden Van last in 11 E (without the heel slip)...I've wanted a green pair for some time, has to be a custom order, took 8 weeks to arrive....I'm very happy with them...

View attachment 2205475

View attachment 2205477 View attachment 2205479

Great color. I found their Dainite soles to be uncomfortable, but those may be far more comfortable on my feet.

Markintosh

Reaction score
Great color. I found their Dainite soles to be uncomfortable, but those may be far more comfortable on my feet.
I have a 12-year old pair of Pembrokes - they have a Danite sole - I find them to be a little hard, but not uncomfortable...all my other Pembroke's were custom ordered and have a cleated vibrate sole...which I find to be very comfortable...I understand that most won't like the thicker sole, I just love it, which I think goes well with the country grain....here is the black pair that I have...
Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 1.14.01 PM.png

Markintosh

Reaction score
By the way, I see that you have a pair of AE MacNeil - what a classic wingtip that was...there is a AE boutique by my house, I love stick my head in and ask the manager when the MacNeil is coming back...it's become a running joke...he tells me he get many requests for them every month...

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll tell you that there's a wide range of comfort with C&J shoes. I've had some that like you, were highly uncomfortable. I have another pair that has Dainite and is super comfortable. I don't understand it, but the variation is real. I guess my point is, maybe don't write off C&J completely.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, I see that you have a pair of AE MacNeil - what a classic wingtip that was...there is a AE boutique by my house, I love stick my head in and ask the manager when the MacNeil is coming back...it's become a running joke...he tells me he get many requests for them every month...
Who needs a MacNeil when we have all these ICONS /s?

IMG_4540.jpeg
IMG_4539.jpeg
IMG_4538.jpeg

DrNik

Reaction score
Hello, could someone kindly identify this model currently available at END clothing: https://www.endclothing.com/au/alden-penny-loafer-m2203uf-dc.html ?

As someone not acquainted with Alden, I would appreciate any advice at all on last and fit. It certainly appears sleeker and lower volume than LHS. It's perhaps better suited to tailoring but I was hoping it may work also work with chinos and a knitted polo and maybe jeans and a camp collar. Not sure if would wear with shorts.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, could someone kindly identify this model currently available at END clothing: https://www.endclothing.com/au/alden-penny-loafer-m2203uf-dc.html ?

As someone not acquainted with Alden, I would appreciate any advice at all on last and fit. It certainly appears sleeker and lower volume than LHS. It's perhaps better suited to tailoring but I was hoping it may work also work with chinos and a knitted polo and maybe jeans and a camp collar. Not sure if would wear with shorts.

That looks like the plaza last, which generally runs true to size, but for a loafer it’s a bit trickier to advise.

CLH03

Reaction score

Plaza last, the fit is pretty good. I went true to size and they are very comfortable. I have an older pair that are lined.

I think they would be fine with tailoring and more casual wear, but wouldn’t wear them with shorts

Markintosh

Reaction score
that park ave with a little collar is an abomination. who in their right mind came up with that
Thank you for confirming my thoughts on that Park Ave - not sure what the new designer at AE was thinking....

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I now only have two pairs of MacNeils remaining in the collection. One is bourbon shell and the other is NOS vintage pair with a round "owl eye" heel insert. They are so fine I can't bring myself to wear them. Although this is an Alden thread, they may be appreciated here. One shot in the sun and the other in the shade.

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

Markintosh

Reaction score
I now only have two pairs of MacNeils remaining in the collection. One is bourbon shell and the other is NOS vintage pair with a round "owl eye" heel insert. They are so fine I can't bring myself to wear them. Although this is an Alden thread, they may be appreciated here. One shot in the sun and the other in the shade.

View attachment 2205787
View attachment 2205789
Both FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!! I get not wanting to wear them. I have a couple of pairs that are new, I like to take them out and just look at them - I know that's strange, but I'm a shoe collector. The quality of the McNeil was so good. I had a chance to buy a pair and kept waiting, I want to say they were around $400, this was 2008/09 - AE quality was so good then. After the private equity buyout, the designs and quality all dramatically dropped - then they stopped making the McNeil. It was a well known model along with the Wilbert. Thanks for the pics - just love them. Are they new - never worn? They look new....

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2205787
View attachment 2205789
#wearyourrares

I'm a big advocate of wearing what you have. While I have a few pairs still sitting in the closet, they will be worn at the appropriate time. Enjoy them however you prefer. If you get the greatest satisfaction from keeping them BNIB, then I would suggest you continue admiring them just as you have. If you're wanting to wear them, the 4th of July is right around the corner and these would look absolutely phenomenal with any outfit!

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_4552.jpeg
IMG_4553.jpeg
IMG_4554.jpeg
IMG_4556.jpeg
IMG_4563.jpeg
IMG_4562.jpeg
Just got some Florsheims back from Jeff, my local cobbler. He installed some neolite heels for me. He charges $35, which feels cheap.

correction: the 93602s from 1988 had a plastic heel stack (with leather top-lift).

Thought I’d share here, too (in addition to the vintage thread).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sangregris