• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

tuna roll

Reaction score
This is interesting - I have wondered why my 975, which are newer, never looks as shiny as all the pictures posted of color 8 cordovan - my pair looks similar to the derby pair, they look dull to me, especially in the vamp...When they were new, about a year ago, I've polished them twice and both times I used Renovateur first, then a cream polish for cordovan - I wonder if the Renovateur does this? Here is my pair:

View attachment 2204699
I’d imagine the Renovateur removes some of the oils on the surface but then you are adding them back with the cordovan cream, so… idk

My 986 is not only shinier but the upper feels flatter to the touch. While the derby feels a bit more textured, like calf. And of course flatter = shinier. So I assume there’s something in the treatment of cordovan that does this? Or maybe my derby is just dry and needs more cream?

jellyroller

Reaction score
IMG_3499.jpeg

Snuff PTB on the bus

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three 'news' for me today

1) worked on my own boots
2) Eagle toe taps
3) leather soles

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I've always liked the look of these particular toe taps, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they are IRL. Went for contrasting brass screws to match the hardware on the boots.

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4827.jpg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rare back-to-back with these Ravello LHS’s. Easily my favorite summertime shoes………

image.jpg

Best seat in the house………

image.jpg

builder

Reaction score
Debating buying another pair of chukkas and making chukkas my daily wear shoe. If I already have snuff suede which I love should I just get another pair of the same?

Franky

Reaction score
Debating buying another pair of chukkas and making chukkas my daily wear shoe. If I already have snuff suede which I love should I just get another pair of the same?
I don’t see the point of doubling up on snuff suede. I’d personally go color 8 -> dark brown suede and stop there. I’m not a chukka guy but for the Pennie’s that what I did.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd look for a different color suede. If you really like the snuff color then get a different shoe in that color.

tuna roll

Reaction score
Since we are talking about slight imperfections - curious about your opinion about something. I have an odd pair of wingtips that I just love. In terms of fit, they feel great, but they are a 3-eyelet pair and for some reason, based on this style, with my high in-step, I get a slight crease in the vamp area when I put them on...would this bother you? Pic below....

View attachment 2204693
With only 2 or 3 eyelet there’s usually a compromise with how much / where you can adjust tightness and things like that could happen. I guess I’d be ok with that. Maybe you could check with a cobbler if there’s anything he could do about it? Adjust the tongue a bit?
I debated doing the same since I love my unlined suede chukka so much. It’s the forest green one, not sure they make that color anymore. I’m considering buying another unlined suede one but different color (prob snuff) and a sturdier sole. The flex soles on mine are very comfy but one broken in the feel too flimsy for long days walking around the city.

Markintosh

Reaction score
Three 'news' for me today

1) worked on my own boots
2) Eagle toe taps
3) leather soles

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I've always liked the look of these particular toe taps, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they are IRL. Went for contrasting brass screws to match the hardware on the boots.

View attachment 2205083

View attachment 2205085
View attachment 2205087
View attachment 2205089
Really like the work - the taps are such a nice touch..

Markintosh

Reaction score
For my color starved Alden brothers, who are stuck in a black and brown world...if you're looking for color variation these might work - they just arrived yesterday from the UK, a pair of C&J Boston loafers, in green country calf with "city sole" rubber soles...A G fitting, 10.5 UK, very similar to a Alden Van last in 11 E (without the heel slip)...I've wanted a green pair for some time, has to be a custom order, took 8 weeks to arrive....I'm very happy with them...

IMG_0312.jpeg

IMG_0315.jpeg
IMG_0316.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member