• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Markintosh

Reaction score
Alright gents, this is it for me. I love Ravello but I’ve gotten a bit heavy over the years so it was hard to pass on flipping my AoM Vanderbilts into these Whiskey Chukkas. Only my second pair of Whiskey so it helps balance things a bit. Family shot with my Whiskey Indy’s and Ravello LHS’s. Never get hung op on labels. LHS’s look pretty close to Whiskey to me…………

View attachment 2203983
View attachment 2203979
View attachment 2203981

I know much has been made about old whiskey v new whiskey/bourbon but it feels like much ado about nothing. I see very little difference between the Indy’s (definitely old whiskey) and the Chukkas. Regardless, I’m pretty sure this is it for me.

Happy Saturday gang. Have a great weekend and stay cool.
The Chukkas are bad ass - well done Shawn!!!!

tuna roll

Reaction score
Alright gents, this is it for me. I love Ravello but I’ve gotten a bit heavy over the years so it was hard to pass on flipping my AoM Vanderbilts into these Whiskey Chukkas. Only my second pair of Whiskey so it helps balance things a bit. Family shot with my Whiskey Indy’s and Ravello LHS’s. Never get hung op on labels. LHS’s look pretty close to Whiskey to me…………

View attachment 2203983
View attachment 2203979
View attachment 2203981

I know much has been made about old whiskey v new whiskey/bourbon but it feels like much ado about nothing. I see very little difference between the Indy’s (definitely old whiskey) and the Chukkas. Regardless, I’m pretty sure this is it for me.

Happy Saturday gang. Have a great weekend and stay cool.
hard to choose between these!

I’m not a cobbler or anything but it looks like they just missed the upper when welting that part of the shoe. You can see some of the inseam stitches “grinning”(a defect in itself) on the left side in the bottom photo just before the bulge. The fact that it bulges just after makes me think the shoe just got tilted too far away and the needle missed the upper on a couple stitches. So yeah this is structural most likely and will need to be rewelted, at least the way I see it.
that makes sense! I’m thinking I’ll just wear them and when time to resole comes, I’ll have them re-welted as well.

I have the exact same bulge on my color 8 longwings - my black pair does not have this issue. Both are cordovan. It won't roll out either, I know it's pointless, but I have an ebony stick that I use, when I wear either pair, once I put the shoe trees back in, I roll out the vamp a bit with the ebony stick - it flattens out some of the roll - it's pointless, because as soon as you wear them again it's back. The rolled vamp is not my favorite part of cordovan - I know some guys love it. I think with the hand sewn nature of these shoes, it's just a crap shoot and most pairs will have some type of imperfection. I have 3 pairs of Aldens - two of them arrived with something abnormal. In terms of what you have pictured, I think I could live with that...I have an abnormal crease in the same area..they came out of the box new like this - with tax and shipping, nearly $1k...I included a picture....
View attachment 2204121
interesting. maybe cordovan is just hard to work with and more prone to bulges like these? I’ve never seen them with suede or calf.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Sunday forum pals. Standing in the closet this morning and I noticed some pretty string bloom peaking out of the rear of the shoe bag on these whiskey LWBs. I felt like a neglectful shoe daddy and decided they needed to be brushed and worn today. I'm sure they are grateful.

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Sunday forum pals. Standing in the closet this morning and I noticed some pretty string bloom peaking out of the rear of the shoe bag on these whiskey LWBs. I felt like a neglectful shoe daddy and decided they needed to be cleaned and worn today. I'm sure they are grateful.

View attachment 2204301
View attachment 2204311

Amazing………

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So today, the 975s said, "Oh yeah, sure, show the love to my whiskey cousin and just ignore me! What a jerk." I swear, I have never seen a pair of shoes cross their arms and turn their back on me in disgust for neglect. I guess their shaming worked.

IMG_0646.jpg

slows2k

Reaction score
So today, the 975s said, "Oh yeah, sure, show the love to my whiskey cousin and just ignore me! What a jerk." I swear, I have never seen a pair of shoes cross their arms and turn their back on me in disgust for neglect. I guess their shaming worked.

View attachment 2204645

Great eggplant color on those! How old are they?
I feel like Alden color 8 has become so dark over the years that getting them to this shade takes hundreds and hundreds of wears.

JTMD

Reaction score

View attachment 2204645

Indeed, seems as if sometimes 8 takes a back seat to cigar/whiskey/ets but 8 is a fabulous color..and you have some rather prime examples..these long wings included..😁

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great eggplant color on those! How old are they?
I feel like Alden color 8 has become so dark over the years that getting them to this shade takes hundreds and hundreds of wears.

I purchased these in 2017 and this is pretty much the color they were then. Rotation with other pairs means they only get occasional use.

tuna roll

Reaction score
I find the variations between color, texture and finish on color 8 shell very interesting. Not sure if it's older vs. newer pairs or simply normal variation between different batches.

The two shoes below were bought this year, new. The 986 has a more eggplant / burgundy color, a shinier finish and feels smoother to the touch. The derby is slightly darker, more plum / maroon maybe, less shiny and the texture is not as smooth, feels more leathery if that makes sense. I treated it with some Pure Polish cordovan cream yesterday and it started to get shinier (photo was taken before that).

I also got a beautiful pair of color 8 loafers on the Leydon last from Brogue (the Vienna Loafer) recently. Forgot to take pictures and ended up returning as the fit is not optimal for me. But the uppers were fantastic - the color was less homogeneous than these two, almost looked like old, worn-in shell, or if the finish applied by Alden was put on with a thinner coat. Beautiful caramel undertones.

1719239358633.jpeg

1719239366791.jpeg

Markintosh

Reaction score

View attachment 2204645
Color 8 975 is King - Long Live The King!!!!!!

Markintosh

Reaction score
hard to choose between these!

that makes sense! I’m thinking I’ll just wear them and when time to resole comes, I’ll have them re-welted as well.

interesting. maybe cordovan is just hard to work with and more prone to bulges like these? I’ve never seen them with suede or calf.
Since we are talking about slight imperfections - curious about your opinion about something. I have an odd pair of wingtips that I just love. In terms of fit, they feel great, but they are a 3-eyelet pair and for some reason, based on this style, with my high in-step, I get a slight crease in the vamp area when I put them on...would this bother you? Pic below....

IMG_0304.jpeg

Markintosh

Reaction score
I find the variations between color, texture and finish on color 8 shell very interesting. Not sure if it's older vs. newer pairs or simply normal variation between different batches.

The two shoes below were bought this year, new. The 986 has a more eggplant / burgundy color, a shinier finish and feels smoother to the touch. The derby is slightly darker, more plum / maroon maybe, less shiny and the texture is not as smooth, feels more leathery if that makes sense. I treated it with some Pure Polish cordovan cream yesterday and it started to get shinier (photo was taken before that).

I also got a beautiful pair of color 8 loafers on the Leydon last from Brogue (the Vienna Loafer) recently. Forgot to take pictures and ended up returning as the fit is not optimal for me. But the uppers were fantastic - the color was less homogeneous than these two, almost looked like old, worn-in shell, or if the finish applied by Alden was put on with a thinner coat. Beautiful caramel undertones.

View attachment 2204681

View attachment 2204683
This is interesting - I have wondered why my 975, which are newer, never looks as shiny as all the pictures posted of color 8 cordovan - my pair looks similar to the derby pair, they look dull to me, especially in the vamp...When they were new, about a year ago, I've polished them twice and both times I used Renovateur first, then a cream polish for cordovan - I wonder if the Renovateur does this? Here is my pair:

IMG_4510.jpeg

slows2k

Reaction score
It's crazy how dark some of the color 8 can be. I have a pair of 986s I struggle to wear because they feel so damn formal all the time due to how dark they are. Whenever I see people's older or worn in 986s I love how great they look, but cannot imagine how long it'll take mine to get there. It's even to the point of me considering selling them favor of something else.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twinbluegummy