• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

tuna roll

Reaction score
I think you may be out of luck on getting relief from Alden/TSM on seconds that you’ve worn. I’m pretty handy with dye so what I would likely do is grab the smallest crafts paintbrush I could find and apply ever-so-slightly a bit of dye on the visible areas.

Fieblings is my dye of choice.
thanks, I just emailed TSM about it. let’s see what they say.

worst case scenario I’ll keep wearing them and see what happens. and try improving it with some Fieblings.

tone1298

Reaction score
IMG_2555.jpeg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, I just emailed TSM about it. let’s see what they say.

worst case scenario I’ll keep wearing them and see what happens. and try improving it with some Fieblings.

I had a similar issue with one of my C8 unlined LHS’s from BB. My issue, like yours, was one that nobody other than the wearer would ever notice. But over time it bothered me so I took care of it. Not the most elegant solution but one that certainly did the trick……

image.jpg

Excuse the dust as these don’t make the summer rotation so the are tucked away in another closet.

tuna roll

Reaction score
I thought Alden wasn’t producing unlined shell shoes anymore but apparently that restriction only applies to LHS or loafers in general?

Anyway, these unlined Dover makeups look nice and I bet are comfy AF.

IMG_6451.jpeg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not the resident SME on this but as I understand it, Alden no longer produces shoes that are 100% unlined (i.e. BB LHS’s). They do make shoes that are unlined in the front but lined in the back (i.e. the Dovers in your image). As an owner of the Dover I can attest that they are very comfortable. Your image looks to come from B&M, which I believe is the only model with a flat welt (my personal favorite).

tuna roll

Reaction score
I am not the resident SME on this but as I understand it, Alden no longer produces shoes that are 100% unlined (i.e. BB LHS’s). They do make shoes that are unlined in the front but lined in the back (i.e. the Dovers in your image). As an owner of the Dover I can attest that they are very comfortable. Your image looks to come from B&M, which I believe is the only model with a flat welt (my personal favorite).
thanks, I see. yes these are from B&M and they have both the black shell and color8.

I also love a flat welt!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright gents, this is it for me. I love Ravello but I’ve gotten a bit heavy over the years so it was hard to pass on flipping my AoM Vanderbilts into these Whiskey Chukkas. Only my second pair of Whiskey so it helps balance things a bit. Family shot with my Whiskey Indy’s and Ravello LHS’s. Never get hung op on labels. LHS’s look pretty close to Whiskey to me…………

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I know much has been made about old whiskey v new whiskey/bourbon but it feels like much ado about nothing. I see very little difference between the Indy’s (definitely old whiskey) and the Chukkas. Regardless, I’m pretty sure this is it for me.

Happy Saturday gang. Have a great weekend and stay cool.

tuna roll

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this - are these the new ones that you recently bought for nearly $1k? If so, I would find that really annoying - I would call Alden and the retailer where you bought them.
Here is the defect on the pair you mentioned. Color 8 cordovan, Modified last. There is a weird bulge at the pinky toe region. Only on one foot.

In the last photo, to the left of the bulge, there are some superficial marks on the leather, probably from stitching the sole to the welt and accidentaly hitting the upper. To the right of the bulge there are similar marks but a bit deeper. I hope it's not tearing...

The inside / insole looks normal, which leads me to believe something happened while stitching the outsole to the welt (as opposed to a lasting issue).

In person it's much less noticeable than it seems. I had to get the angle just right when taking the photos, and as I wear them and the rolls start to show, it will be even less apparent. I'm just concerned about long term, structural issues.

1719083959443.jpeg

1719083944226.jpeg

1719083971071.jpeg

Last edited:

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright gents, this is it for me. I love Ravello but I’ve gotten a bit heavy over the years so it was hard to pass on flipping my AoM Vanderbilts into these Whiskey Chukkas. Only my second pair of Whiskey so it helps balance things a bit. Family shot with my Whiskey Indy’s and Ravello LHS’s. Never get hung op on labels. LHS’s look pretty close to Whiskey to me…………

View attachment 2203983
View attachment 2203979
View attachment 2203981

I know much has been made about old whiskey v new whiskey/bourbon but it feels like much ado about nothing. I see very little difference between the Indy’s (definitely old whiskey) and the Chukkas. Regardless, I’m pretty sure this is it for me.

Killin it, my G, killin!

JTMD

Reaction score

View attachment 2203983
View attachment 2203979
View attachment 2203981

Excellent as usual. May you wear in good health!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

colton2e

Reaction score
Here is the defect on the pair you mentioned. Color 8 cordovan, Modified last. There is a weird bulge at the pinky toe region. Only on one foot.

In the last photo, to the left of the bulge, there are some superficial marks on the leather, probably from stitching the sole to the welt and accidentaly hitting the upper. To the right of the bulge there are similar marks but a bit deeper. I hope it's not tearing...

The inside / insole looks normal, which leads me to believe something happened while stitching the outsole to the welt (as opposed to a lasting issue).

In person it's much less noticeable than it seems. I had to get the angle just right when taking the photos, and as I wear them and the rolls start to show, it will be even less apparent. I'm just concerned about long term, structural issues.

View attachment 2203967

View attachment 2203965

View attachment 2203969
I’m not a cobbler or anything but it looks like they just missed the upper when welting that part of the shoe. You can see some of the inseam stitches “grinning”(a defect in itself) on the left side in the bottom photo just before the bulge. The fact that it bulges just after makes me think the shoe just got tilted too far away and the needle missed the upper on a couple stitches. So yeah this is structural most likely and will need to be rewelted, at least the way I see it.

Markintosh

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with one of my C8 unlined LHS’s from BB. My issue, like yours, was one that nobody other than the wearer would ever notice. But over time it bothered me so I took care of it. Not the most elegant solution but one that certainly did the trick……

View attachment 2203741

Excuse the dust as these don’t make the summer rotation so the are tucked away in another close

View attachment 2203967

View attachment 2203965

View attachment 2203969
I have the exact same bulge on my color 8 longwings - my black pair does not have this issue. Both are cordovan. It won't roll out either, I know it's pointless, but I have an ebony stick that I use, when I wear either pair, once I put the shoe trees back in, I roll out the vamp a bit with the ebony stick - it flattens out some of the roll - it's pointless, because as soon as you wear them again it's back. The rolled vamp is not my favorite part of cordovan - I know some guys love it. I think with the hand sewn nature of these shoes, it's just a crap shoot and most pairs will have some type of imperfection. I have 3 pairs of Aldens - two of them arrived with something abnormal. In terms of what you have pictured, I think I could live with that...I have an abnormal crease in the same area..they came out of the box new like this - with tax and shipping, nearly $1k...I included a picture....
IMG_0302.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessariThomas