• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Weldy

Reaction score
Anyone have photos of black shell tankers (NST boots) out in the wild? Staring at a pair in Barrie. Wondering how they look in person and how well they wear/style out in the world.
Yes. 2 looks for you. Casual with jeans and dressy at a wedding
IMG_4002.jpeg
IMG_2955.jpeg

tuna roll

Reaction score
some small tearing appeared on my shell Aldens, a bit forward from the pinky toe, on one foot only. right where the shoe bends and creases

I’ve only used them 2 or 3 times. it looks superficial, but IDK. should I do anything about it? or just keep wearing them?

MrImpractical

Reaction score
some small tearing appeared on my shell Aldens, a bit forward from the pinky toe, on one foot only. right where the shoe bends and creases

I’ve only used them 2 or 3 times. it looks superficial, but IDK. should I do anything about it? or just keep wearing them?

If this happened after a few wears I would contact the retailer. Maybe Alden directly depending on what they say. As I understand it, once there’s a tear in shell it’s on the way out. Hopefully you can just get a replacement.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately I don’t think that is just superficial. You say you’ve only used them 2 or 3 times. If you are the original owner, you should definitely reach out to the retailer. IMO Alden and their retailers are really good at making stuff like this right for the customer.

tuna roll

Reaction score
thanks! that’s helpful @Shawnc @MrImpractical

This is a TSM seconds’, I bought directly from them. As they state on the website any defects should be only cosmetic and not affect the longevity of the shoes (which I understand is not the case here). I’ll contact them about it.

Last edited:

Markintosh

Reaction score

Sorry to hear this - are these the new ones that you recently bought for nearly $1k? If so, I would find that really annoying - I would call Alden and the retailer where you bought them.

tuna roll

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this - are these the new ones that you recently bought for nearly $1k? If so, I would find that really annoying - I would call Alden and the retailer where you bought them.
Actually that’s a different pair. The one I just posted is a 54331 (v-tip in black shell, Modified last) from TSM, seconds. The one you mentioned is a D8605 in color 8 shell, also on the Modified last, but from Moulded and full price (not seconds).

But thanks for reminding me about it, I should post some pics of the color 8 to see what you guys think. One of the shoes have a small bulge where the upper meets the welt. No idea if that’s cosmetic only, I’ll post some photos when I get home.

Markintosh

Reaction score
Actually that’s a different pair. The one I just posted is a 54331 (v-tip in black shell, Modified last) from TSM, seconds. The one you mentioned is a D8605 in color 8 shell, also on the Modified last, but from Moulded and full price (not seconds).

But thanks for reminding me about it, I should post some pics of the color 8 to see what you guys think. One of the shoes have a small bulge where the upper meets the welt. No idea if that’s cosmetic only, I’ll post some photos when I get home.
I've got 2 pairs of fairly new cordovan longwings - black and color 8, I'm going to check them now...gulp!!!!

tuna roll

Reaction score
I've got 2 pairs of fairly new cordovan longwings - black and color 8, I'm going to check them now...gulp!!!!
haha I hope they are fine!

it took me a while to notice both defects. 2-3 wears and actually I only noticed while polishing, when you are looking at every inch of the shoe up close.

Markintosh

Reaction score
I think Grant is Alden’s best (and vastly underrated) boot last. Initially went TTS (9D) but ultimately settled on 8.5E.
Hey Shawn - I've never sold anything on this forum. I usually sell via eBay. Before I list something on this forum - I see you have shoes for sale - any tips or things pro/con I should know before I list things here?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Shawn - I've never sold anything on this forum. I usually sell via eBay. Before I list something on this forum - I see you have shoes for sale - any tips or things pro/con I should know before I list things here?

Heck yeah, though nothing earth-shattering. I’m lazy, so I long ago stopped listing here. Rather, I link to my eBay listing and knock 10% off the list price (essentially passing the savings of eBay fees to the SF buyer). My SF price generally includes domestic shipping but is otherwise net to me. The buyers call if they want to do F&F or G&S (with added fee). I will say that the overwhelming majority of my sales are through eBay.

As with most, I prefer to sell my stuff to SF brothers but I will say that a little while ago the haggling became a nuisance. Negotiating $20 off of a pair of $500 shoes gets annoying so I always try to make clear that I don’t accpet offers. Fortunately this behavior is limited to a small section of community members.

That’s my approach.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks! that’s helpful @Shawnc @MrImpractical

This is a TSM seconds’, I bought directly from them. As they state on the website any defects should be only cosmetic and not affect the longevity of the shoes (which I understand is not the case here). I’ll contact them about it.

I think you may be out of luck on getting relief from Alden/TSM on seconds that you’ve worn. I’m pretty handy with dye so what I would likely do is grab the smallest crafts paintbrush I could find and apply ever-so-slightly a bit of dye on the visible areas.

Fieblings is my dye of choice.

Markintosh

Reaction score
Heck yeah, though nothing earth-shattering. I’m lazy, so I long ago stopped listing here. Rather, I link to my eBay listing and knock 10% off the list price (essentially passing the savings of eBay fees to the SF buyer). My SF price generally includes domestic shipping but is otherwise net to me. The buyers call if they want to do F&F or G&S (with added fee). I will say that the overwhelming majority of my sales are through eBay.

As with most, I prefer to sell my stuff to SF brothers but I will say that a little while ago the haggling became a nuisance. Negotiating $20 off of a pair of $500 shoes gets annoying so I always try to make clear that I don’t accpet offers. Fortunately this behavior is limited to a small section of community members.

That’s my approach.
So you get paid before shipping?

Markintosh

Reaction score

That’s my approach.
And thank you for the response - I appreciate it...

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foreverwebsolutions