• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alden for BB? Mine fell out of favor for a while there as well..😅 View attachment 2202725

Yep. The gunk comes off easy enough but the eyelet paint is coming off too.
IMG_9929.jpeg

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You like what you like and at these prices, there is nothing wrong with that. I will add two quick thing to think about. First, I was where you are now. I loved dark 8 and didn’t want to do anything to jeopardize that. I have sent shoes back to Alden for recraft just so they would darken the shoes. Now I absolutely love aged, well-cared for 8. It has such personality (and yes, only people I know who will understand this statement is on this thread) but they truly do. The slight color variation they develop makes them second to none in my book. I know nothing about London but I’ll bet a dime to a dollar that you will love your 8’s as they age.

I know, you keep saying it and then Alden produces something amazing to pull you back in. Strange coincidence but we seem to have very similar tastes with our new additions. Those TB’s on crepe are incredible and assuming the chukka’s are whiskey, I have the same pair in flight. Should be it for me. Famous last words…….

Ha. You slay me you silver-tongued devil…….

Hah, the ravello boots on crepe are Barrie - they just look like TB due to my EEE width

They were inspired by the old Context Roy boots apparently - never owned a pair but looking forward to wearing these for a while.

Markintosh

Reaction score
Indeed. No different with mine. A damp rag took care of green.. but I'll have to find something to paint the eyelets with.
Nail polish works well...I painted a gold buckle black on a pair of tan Ferragamo drivers that were badly soiled and ruined, originally, they were tan suede, gold buckle, I had them died black by a cobbler, they came back to me black and gold buckle, which I didn't like, so I painted the buckle with black matte finish nail polish and they look great...2 or 3 times in a year, a chip has appeared and I just touch them up.

Markintosh

Reaction score
Off topic, wanted to share with my Alden friends my new JM Weston's that showed up today...pretty excited about these...I wear a 10.5 UK G fitting in C&J, 11 E in Alden Van last, and 10.5 EEE in Barrie last...these are 10 F and the fit is magnificent!!!! The lasted shoe trees are the best I've ever seen....I love the split toe, seen in the last pic from their site.
IMG_0281.jpeg
IMG_0288.jpeg
IMG_0289.jpeg
IMG_0290.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 7.02.11 PM.png

JTMD

Reaction score
Off topic, wanted to share with my Alden friends my new JM Weston's that showed up today...pretty excited about these...I wear a 10.5 UK G fitting in C&J, 11 E in Alden Van last, and 10.5 EEE in Barrie last...these are 10 F and the fit is magnificent!!!! The lasted shoe trees are the best I've ever seen....I love the split toe, seen in the last pic from their site. View attachment 2202831 View attachment 2202833 View attachment 2202835 View attachment 2202837 View attachment 2202841

Very nice. . Enjoy! I have the Weston Demi-Chasse. Fabulous shoes that I've enjoyed the past 12 years or so now. From the stiching, to their own tanned leather, to the build, there's nothing I don't like about them (though they are heavy..and that's saying something on an Alden thread). And yes, even the trees are great. 😅

Last edited:

builder

Reaction score
Reverse chamois or snuff suede for Indy boots? Love the idea of snuff suede and love the way it looks but worried about wearability ‘in the field’.

How durable is reverse chamois? Looks awesome and has some suede qualities but was told it’s very durable and similar to CXL. I like that both of these leathers aren’t the typical Indy coloring, any other leathers I should look at? Would prefer to keep with a brown tone.

slows2k

Reaction score
Reverse chamois or snuff suede for Indy boots? Love the idea of snuff suede and love the way it looks but worried about wearability ‘in the field’.

How durable is reverse chamois? Looks awesome and has some suede qualities but was told it’s very durable and similar to CXL. I like that both of these leathers aren’t the typical Indy coloring, any other leathers I should look at? Would prefer to keep with a brown tone.

Love snuff suede and it's pretty hearty, though I would not tramp through bogs in it only because it will discolor heavily. Rain and such, though, is no problem at all.

Low hanging fruit here, but if you want brown tone and an indy, why not the classic CXL Indy? Absolutely champs in every condition, and if you condition the leather occasionally the more you throw at it the better it looks with time.

CLH03

Reaction score

Reverse chamois is awesome. Super hearty and the darker colors hide a multitude of stains. Also the softest leather I’ve had personally, including suede

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Anyone have photos of black shell tankers (NST boots) out in the wild? Staring at a pair in Barrie. Wondering how they look in person and how well they wear/style out in the world.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good grief @Hisheirness23, those are so good. I’m pretty sure you and I go the same in Barrie and just curious about how you size Grant?
I take Brannock (9D) in Grant. It's a little roomier than 8.5D Barrie, but I love the shape and look of Grant last.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take Brannock (9D) in Grant. It's a little roomier than 8.5D Barrie, but I love the shape and look of Grant last.

I think Grant is Alden’s best (and vastly underrated) boot last. Initially went TTS (9D) but ultimately settled on 8.5E.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Grant is Alden’s best (and vastly underrated) boot last. Initially went TTS (9D) but ultimately settled on 8.5E.
9D for me is a little wide. My TB is 8.5C so my sizing is all over the place. Most likely a product of my flat feet and low instep combined with skinny ankles.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mackattack27