• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

JTMD

Reaction score
Yes. As in I took this pair also outside. It’s absolutely fine as is out of the box.

seeing some replies here I feel I am not appreciating the colour 8 for what it is and wondering if I am better off waiting/hoping to see one day LHS in black here..

I certainly don't want to discourage you..but I myself always see them as burgundy. When you wear them you're going to get the lighter ripples shell cordovan is known for. It lightens with tone and usually is lighter appearing in the sunlight. It's not that you're not appreciating it..perhaps your expectations are not what my experience with the material is. #8 isn't black..no matter how dark it is. I have some pretty dark burgundy shells but I have never confused them with black...even at a glance..that's me. If you're looking for a blackish shoe, then black will be your best option. In my opinion. I myself would be happy wearing #8 in London and have done so many times..but I'm not meeting with British bankers and lawyers while I'm there either.

Pretty clear difference in these two to me..but I'm not looking at the pair you're considering

20240322_140616.jpg

20240322_140625.jpg

kubalondon

Reaction score
I certainly don't want to discourage you..but I myself always see them as burgundy. When you wear them you're going to get the lighter ripples shell cordovan is known for. It lightens with tone and usually is lighter appearing in the sunlight. It's not that you're not appreciating it..perhaps your expectations are not what my experience with the material is. #8 isn't black..no matter how dark it is. I have some pretty dark burgundy shells but I have never confused them with black...even at a glance..that's me. If you're looking for a blackish shoe, then black will be your best option. In my opinion. I myself would be happy wearing #8 in London and have done so many times..but I'm not meeting with British bankers and lawyers while I'm there either.

Pretty clear difference in these two to me..but I'm not looking at the pair you're considering

View attachment 2202207
View attachment 2202209
Yeah, London you can wear anything really and in the West End, Mayfair, shoes like the colour 8 will be waaay better than black calf (boring). In the City bankers are boring as hell normally - very traditional (will put black trainers and navy tight fitting chinos before having any brown/earthy colours). Today with warmer weather, I put my brown suede C&J loafers with no socks and it was absolute shocker haha.

Going back to LHS, I put it against my .. black calf shoes and I can see a difference. I guess I do like that dark/rich colour. Just hoping it wouldn’t brighten too much. I wear loafers only normally to work and not really my style say to wear them on a day off when I am most of the time chasing small kids. Anyway, will sleep over and see what I will do. If I return these ones, I will go for JM Weston 180 in black calf..

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WFH today and feel like it’s a shoe pic kind of day. I like brass hardware, just not my style so I sent my DW TB Ravello plain toes off to Aram for a conversion. I think these will get considerable rotation action so I also had him add toe taps. Dude is a magician and CS is second to none. Family shots include C4 wings for comparison as well as my Ravello Caps that I still say are the best shad of Ravello I’ve ever handled. Loafer/Tassels are lighter ravello……

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a full closet and higher prices, I will be buying fewer Aldens and dress shoes in general going forward (famous last words, I know) - but these two models came in recently, and they look like keepers to me:

IMG_2383.jpeg

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WFH today and feel like it’s a shoe pic kind of day. I like brass hardware, just not my style so I sent my DW TB Ravello plain toes off to Aram for a conversion. I think these will get considerable rotation action so I also had him add toe taps. Dude is a magician and CS is second to none. Family shots include C4 wings for comparison as well as my Ravello Caps that I still say are the best shad of Ravello I’ve ever handled. Loafer/Tassels are lighter ravello……

View attachment 2202213

View attachment 2202215
View attachment 2202217
View attachment 2202219
View attachment 2202223
View attachment 2202221
Amazeballs 🤩

CLH03

Reaction score

View attachment 2202213

View attachment 2202215
View attachment 2202217
View attachment 2202219
View attachment 2202223
View attachment 2202221
He does great stuff, and quick, too!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, London you can wear anything really and in the West End, Mayfair, shoes like the colour 8 will be waaay better than black calf (boring). In the City bankers are boring as hell normally - very traditional (will put black trainers and navy tight fitting chinos before having any brown/earthy colours). Today with warmer weather, I put my brown suede C&J loafers with no socks and it was absolute shocker haha.

Going back to LHS, I put it against my .. black calf shoes and I can see a difference. I guess I do like that dark/rich colour. Just hoping it wouldn’t brighten too much. I wear loafers only normally to work and not really my style say to wear them on a day off when I am most of the time chasing small kids. Anyway, will sleep over and see what I will do. If I return these ones, I will go for JM Weston 180 in black calf..

You like what you like and at these prices, there is nothing wrong with that. I will add two quick thing to think about. First, I was where you are now. I loved dark 8 and didn’t want to do anything to jeopardize that. I have sent shoes back to Alden for recraft just so they would darken the shoes. Now I absolutely love aged, well-cared for 8. It has such personality (and yes, only people I know who will understand this statement is on this thread) but they truly do. The slight color variation they develop makes them second to none in my book. I know nothing about London but I’ll bet a dime to a dollar that you will love your 8’s as they age.

With a full closet and higher prices, I will be buying fewer Aldens and dress shoes in general going forward (famous last words, I know) - but these two models came in recently, and they look like keepers to me:

View attachment 2202225
I know, you keep saying it and then Alden produces something amazing to pull you back in. Strange coincidence but we seem to have very similar tastes with our new additions. Those TB’s on crepe are incredible and assuming the chukka’s are whiskey, I have the same pair in flight. Should be it for me. Famous last words…….

Amazeballs 🤩

Ha. You slay me you silver-tongued devil…….

JTMD

Reaction score

View attachment 2202225

If you have to go out, might as well go out on top..both gorgeous of course..🤩

Last edited:

JTMD

Reaction score

View attachment 2202213

View attachment 2202215
View attachment 2202217
View attachment 2202219
View attachment 2202223
View attachment 2202221

I consider my collection to be pretty decent..but some of the gents here can still make me jealous..and that includes you. 😅. No doubt many here would happily add any of those to their rotation.. myself included.. 😁

Last edited:

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, when I first started collecting shoes, I would find AE shoes on Ebay at a low price and then clean them up. Mrs. Smfdoc thought that was fine since I was getting them by not spending much and making the best out of them. She is still under this impression all these many years later. Seems the subject never came up again, so I did not really go in to any detail about the price reality of Alden shoes.

Yesterday, I was driving home from a weekend with a son when she saw the billboard and suggested I stop in to see what they had available in my size. Well, I was born at night but not last night. I was NOT going to stop at TSM where they have a fine display and current Alden prices. That would be like introducing her to my new French maid. I said, "Oh, that is not necessary. I have all the shoes I really need" and I drove right past exit 16. One learns a thing or three after 45 years of marriage.

View attachment 2202053
Love this ! This is 100% my approach.

JTMD

Reaction score

View attachment 2202213

View attachment 2202215
View attachment 2202217
View attachment 2202219
View attachment 2202223
View attachment 2202221

You tape up your Tassels between wears? For what purpose if I may enquire? I've never done so myself

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You tape up your Tassels between wears? For what purpose if I may enquire? I've never done so myself

Heck yeah my-man, ask away. Definitely not tape but I do use rubber bands between wears on my tassels just to keep them tighter. Strange how this expensive rabbit hole I’ve found myself in has changed me. While this may seem like overkill once those tassels start flaring, you cannot get them back and to me, it simply takes away from the polished look. Purely personal preference.

JTMD

Reaction score

I I doubt you'll be disappointed with the #8 in the long run. But you need what you need. And as mentioned, there are methods of keeping it dark, dark burgundy, but those methods will require time and know how..or at least funds to pay someone with knowhow. I'm not sure this site has many that play around with dying but I know Facebook has groups such as "shine your shoes" (public) and "shell cordovan shoe enthusiasts" (private) that have members that seem to be knowledgeable in doing so. As you're not finding anyone here sharing such info, maybe ask on "shine your shoes"..

Markintosh

Reaction score

View attachment 2202213

View attachment 2202215
View attachment 2202217
View attachment 2202219
View attachment 2202223
View attachment 2202221
I'm digging the toe taps!!!!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.