• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gunboats for wingtip wednesday:
F6CAhw5.jpg

kubalondon

Reaction score
Just to add to the LHS content.. I really should get a 986 version with the handsewn backlog being what it is. Both black and color 8 are just pure classics.

To add to sizing metrics, I take Van half down from brannock. The low instep on the LHS works perfect for me having a low volume foot. Some minor heel slip the first handful of wears but once the footbed broke in its perfect.
View attachment 2199905

They look so good. Sizing helps - thank you. I have slightly higher instep, wider foot at the front and narrower at the back. I think the lower instep in van, along with little stretch in cordovan, should keep my foot in place. I also have a little more than half size difference between both feet..

I am really going to buy either LHS in colour 8 or black calf JM Weston 180. Looking for one loafer that is most versatile for business casual in addition to a brown suede from C&J that I already have. Ideally it would be just off black but not going into brown. LHS really works at the start but then fades.. Maybe I will just learn to like that or will buy some products to darken the shade.. JMW here in the UK is available in all sizes and widths and 28 colours.. Fit is truly perfect (Alden normally is only here in D width). So it’s a bit of a decision. But I assume everyone here would pick LHS over 180…

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I assume everyone here would pick LHS over 180…
The real answer is both haha. I love the 180 as well and got to dial my size in on some Westons last year in Japan since its basically impossible here in the US. Hope to be picking up a 180 this year. I think its just as classic as Aldens LHS.

tuna roll

Reaction score
I also have a little more than half size difference between both feet..
Same here, and it's a pain for loafers in particular. Do you use tongue/heel pads on the smaller foot? Or just try to find the size that accomodate both feet best?

I have both the 180 (black calf) and the LHS (navy calf and the 986). 7.5D for the 180 (JM's sizing) and 8.5D in the LHS, if it helps. I love both honestly, the 180 get more use because they fit my feet better. But hard to go wrong with either.

Now I'm thinking about ordering a tan or dark brown 180... and need to figure out my size on the demi chasse.

kubalondon

Reaction score
Same here, and it's a pain for loafers in particular. Do you use tongue/heel pads on the smaller foot? Or just try to find the size that accomodate both feet best?

I have both the 180 (black calf) and the LHS (navy calf and the 986). 7.5D for the 180 (JM's sizing) and 8.5D in the LHS, if it helps. I love both honestly, the 180 get more use because they fit my feet better. But hard to go wrong with either.

Now I'm thinking about ordering a tan or dark brown 180... and need to figure out my size on the demi chasse.
So far didn’t need to use any pads. Tried literally today and it felt awful just putting the foot in there so removed it right away. I have Harvard from C&J UK size 9 and it works good. Hugs my foot and is nice. I am not sure how this will work longer term.

JMW loafer I tried in the store was UK 8.5D (their golf debry I take 8.5E). Alden I tried is US 9D, so UK 8.5D. Slight heel slippage with the Alden, literally zero with the 180.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sizing tip is to consider the Y axis by trying padded or cushioned insoles to lift the foot up into a generous last. Oftentimes, we try downsizing and it becomes uncomfortable and resort to stretching. They protect the factory insoles from getting grubby. If you end up gaining weight, you can simply remove them. And the best part is the cushion! This solved all of my fit problems. Much better than the sticky gooey tongue and heel pads that don’t really work that well imo.

single_origin

Reaction score
My sizing tip is to consider the Y axis by trying padded or cushioned insoles to lift the foot up into a generous last. Oftentimes, we try downsizing and it becomes uncomfortable and resort to stretching. They protect the factory insoles from getting grubby. If you end up gaining weight, you can simply remove them. And the best part is the cushion! This solved all of my fit problems. Much better than the sticky gooey tongue and heel pads that don’t really work that well imo.
Does that help on Van last loafers though to correct heel slip? My impression was it's quite shallow, I'm concerned it'll be harder for the loafer to stay on my foot

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Sizing question: I am interested in the Alden 29364F. My brannock HTT is 13 and HTB is between 13 and 13.5. I typically wear 13D or 13E in most Allen Edmonds models, and I have two Alden LHS in 12.5E that are comfortable but not snug. I also have an Indy in 12.5D that fits pretty perfectly, not much room in length and snug but comfortable fit in width. I’ve researched online, but the answers are all over the place—size half down, size full down (another size 13 person said this on Ask Andy), and take normal size.

I’m not near a store where I could try these on (and many smaller shops don’t regularly stock these sizes anyways). I’d normally try 12.5, but the only sizes available from where I want to buy them are 12D and 13D. Between those sizes, what would you recommend? Or should I just wait for a pair in 12.5D to come around?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I’m a 13.5 HTB on my right foot, 14 on the other, 13 HTT in both. I go with 13 in all Alden lasts. Maybe 13.5/14 B or C would work better, but i’ve never run across a pair to try.

At any rate, what works & how much one sizes down, if at all, depends on factors like instep, how much meat is on the foot, arch height etc. Personal preference is also a factor. Out on the edges of the size spectrum, it might also take some guesswork and gambling.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does that help on Van last loafers though to correct heel slip? My impression was it's quite shallow, I'm concerned it'll be harder for the loafer to stay on my foot
Yes, I went through the tongue pad/heel pad odd sizing issues as well, and all kinds of expensive length/width experimenting before settled on my “standard Alden sizing advice” size with a memory foam insole and never looked back. I do it with all my footwear now. 5mm’s of memory foam will compress down to half or less so it’s not that much. What you end up getting is comfy compression on the downbeat and snugly hugs on the upbeat so you’re not all loosey-goosey feeling.

Another data point to be aware of is the provocatively named “heel to ball length”. Don't be insulted, this just means a longer arch can give one an (hidden) extra half size and probably vise versa.

Personally, I found the generously heeled Van last to snug up around my ankle the more I wear them. Same with traditional deck shoe type moccasins. There’s always gaps until I wear them in and then they fit like a glove. Finally, loafers are inherently loafable (loafascious?), they’re not supposed to feel like an oxford with a 1/4” facing gap-they’re moccasins. But I tell you what, the Alden LHS is just a beautiful silhouette to behold, they’re iconic- I hope you find your forever pair.

single_origin

Reaction score
Yes, I went through the tongue pad/heel pad odd sizing issues as well, and all kinds of expensive length/width experimenting before settled on my “standard Alden sizing advice” size with a memory foam insole and never looked back. I do it with all my footwear now. 5mm’s of memory foam will compress down to half or less so it’s not that much. What you end up getting is comfy compression on the downbeat and snugly hugs on the upbeat so you’re not all loosey-goosey feeling.

Another data point to be aware of is the provocatively named “heel to ball length”. Don't be insulted, this just means a longer arch can give one an (hidden) extra half size and probably vise versa.

Personally, I found the generously heeled Van last to snug up around my ankle the more I wear them. Same with traditional deck shoe type moccasins. There’s always gaps until I wear them in and then they fit like a glove. Finally, loafers are inherently loafable (loafascious?), they’re not supposed to feel like an oxford with a 1/4” facing gap-they’re moccasins. But I tell you what, the Alden LHS is just a beautiful silhouette to behold, they’re iconic- I hope you find your forever pair.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you recommend any particular brand of insole?

I've tried on the 6224L (suede unlined, Van last) loafer in store, in both 8D and 8.5D. I don't have a particularly wide (vs standard width) foot, but in the past (i.e with C&J Harvard 2 - suede unlined) I've had issues where the outer corner of my big toes would get painfully pinched while walking. It's a problem that only shows up after taking more steps than I would while trying in store, hence too late to refund.

I found that both 8 and 8.5 had heel slip, with 8.5 of course having more, but 8.5 had just enough room in the toe that I think it could be comfortable. But it felt like if I was to walk fast, the loafer would come off. The store also let me try the 8.5 with some insoles, it was a more snug fit. But it also felt like I could step out of the shoe, more because it was shallow instead of loose.

Now that you've suggested 5mm, which would compress to half, I'm optimistic. I really hope to make it work because of that silhouette!

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you recommend any particular brand of insole?

I've tried on the 6224L (suede unlined, Van last) loafer in store, in both 8D and 8.5D. I don't have a particularly wide (vs standard width) foot, but in the past (i.e with C&J Harvard 2 - suede unlined) I've had issues where the outer corner of my big toes would get painfully pinched while walking. It's a problem that only shows up after taking more steps than I would while trying in store, hence too late to refund.

I found that both 8 and 8.5 had heel slip, with 8.5 of course having more, but 8.5 had just enough room in the toe that I think it could be comfortable. But it felt like if I was to walk fast, the loafer would come off. The store also let me try the 8.5 with some insoles, it was a more snug fit. But it also felt like I could step out of the shoe, more because it was shallow instead of loose.

Now that you've suggested 5mm, which would compress to half, I'm optimistic. I really hope to make it work because of that silhouette!
Bought and sold a lot to figure out my situation, came full circle on the standard sizing model. I use Foundation memory foam flat suede top trim to fit.

Markintosh

Reaction score
They look so good. Sizing helps - thank you. I have slightly higher instep, wider foot at the front and narrower at the back. I think the lower instep in van, along with little stretch in cordovan, should keep my foot in place. I also have a little more than half size difference between both feet..

I am really going to buy either LHS in colour 8 or black calf JM Weston 180. Looking for one loafer that is most versatile for business casual in addition to a brown suede from C&J that I already have. Ideally it would be just off black but not going into brown. LHS really works at the start but then fades.. Maybe I will just learn to like that or will buy some products to darken the shade.. JMW here in the UK is available in all sizes and widths and 28 colours.. Fit is truly perfect (Alden normally is only here in D width). So it’s a bit of a decision. But I assume everyone here would pick LHS over 180…
I would take 180 over LHS, but I've seen/own both, and adding to your comment, I think the strength of the C&J product line is their casual offerings (I'm a Boston guy). You can have real distinction between what you grab from the closet to wear for the day if you have triple sole (180), cleated vibram (C&J), or the traditional thinner LHS leather outsole....I think the strength of the Alden Loafers is their Cordovan - which I love in a longwing, but don't personally own in a loafer...

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smatsiutsia