• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize this became the Alden loafer thread! Just in time for my latest pickup of these Color 8 986 LHS. With the backlog on handsewn make-ups, I pulled the trigger on these instead of waiting on a make-up with antique welt/edges. Now I can match with my Dad for Father's Day dinner (even though I'll have mahogany edges and his are antique).
1000011528.jpg

1000011529.jpg

1000011530.jpg

1000011531.jpg

1000011532.jpg

1000011533.jpg

kubalondon

Reaction score
Didn't realize this became the Alden loafer thread! Just in time for my latest pickup of these Color 8 986 LHS. With the backlog on handsewn make-ups, I pulled the trigger on these instead of waiting on a make-up with antique welt/edges. Now I can match with my Dad for Father's Day dinner (even though I'll have mahogany edges and his are antique).
View attachment 2199763
View attachment 2199765
View attachment 2199771
View attachment 2199773
View attachment 2199775
View attachment 2199777
Nice ones.
Can I ask if you experienced any heel slippage to start with?

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice ones.
Can I ask if you experienced any heel slippage to start with?
My experience with Van last has been challenging, but I actually size down a full size from Brannock (9D => 8D) and I stretch the heck out of the toe box with split toe shoe trees.

Fortunately, it appears that shell LHS loafes are slightly roomier than suede/Nubuck LHS loafers and I don't have bunched up toe box. With the brief try-on, these work well just like the suede/Nubuck loafers with very slight heel slip, but nothing that affects my ability to walk in them.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2199763
View attachment 2199765
View attachment 2199771
View attachment 2199773
View attachment 2199775
View attachment 2199777

As usual, great shoes, better story. Enjoy FD with Pops.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add to the LHS content.. I really should get a 986 version with the handsewn backlog being what it is. Both black and color 8 are just pure classics.

To add to sizing metrics, I take Van half down from brannock. The low instep on the LHS works perfect for me having a low volume foot. Some minor heel slip the first handful of wears but once the footbed broke in its perfect.
IMG_6006.jpg

tuna roll

Reaction score
To add to sizing metrics, I take Van half down from brannock
Same here. Also, just love black shell. It has such a nice sheen compared to black calf.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm casually looking for the LHS in dark brown suede but I think I'm going to go one full size down from Bannock which is a half size down from my Barrie size. Reason being is that I bought a pair of Crocket and Jones Boston loafers in size 9UK which is a 10D and had major heel slip on the left foot and minor on the right foot. So I'm selling them at a loss but a good deal for someone.

Also, the Barrie fits well but I'm wearing boot socks and have room in the toe. It's a expensive lesson learned on my part but that's how buying shoes online goes. It is what it is

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel so bad today, had the Aberdeen tassel loafers in my hand this morning, was going to put them on, and then found out we had Grandkids at the playground today, so went with a boot from another company. The 1K mile company.....

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2199763
View attachment 2199765
View attachment 2199771
View attachment 2199773
View attachment 2199775
View attachment 2199777
Sharp.

I’m going to make the trip down to The Shoe Mart some time this summer to actually figure out my fit in these (as they have e and ee widths on site).

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharp.

I’m going to make the trip down to The Shoe Mart some time this summer to actually figure out my fit in these (as they have e and ee widths on site).
And if you're near an Alden shop (SF or DC) they will have widths in other Alden stock models for you to try.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And if you're near an Alden shop (SF or DC) they will have widths in other Alden stock models for you to try.
Ironically enough, I live in Massachusetts—20 minutes from the factory—and I have to go out of state to try on something outside of a D width.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Sizing question: I am interested in the Alden 29364F. My brannock HTT is 13 and HTB is between 13 and 13.5. I typically wear 13D or 13E in most Allen Edmonds models, and I have two Alden LHS in 12.5E that are comfortable but not snug. I also have an Indy in 12.5D that fits pretty perfectly, not much room in length and snug but comfortable fit in width. I’ve researched online, but the answers are all over the place—size half down, size full down (another size 13 person said this on Ask Andy), and take normal size.

I’m not near a store where I could try these on (and many smaller shops don’t regularly stock these sizes anyways). I’d normally try 12.5, but the only sizes available from where I want to buy them are 12D and 13D. Between those sizes, what would you recommend? Or should I just wait for a pair in 12.5D to come around?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kretnuhk