• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Markintosh

Reaction score
You mentioned a page or so back that you have a high instep...but the 981 fits you well? I've read the LHS is particularly unforgiving across the instep.

Just curious since I'm trying to narrow down what Alden lasts (and loafers) might fit my high instep and high arch feet.
I was surprised that the 11E worked so well. I have wear a 10.5 EEE in the Barrie last. When I spoke to Alden SF, Jim thought the 11E would be fine for me - he was right. The Van last of these fit really well. The strap across the in-step was a bit tight, but I put them on while on carpet, walked around for 5 minutes, then watched the first half the NBA final while laying in bed with them on, within a few minutes they loosened up. I love them....

kubalondon

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to whether heel slip on Van last loafers (whether rubber sole or leather sole variants) tends to improve as the loafers break in?
I don’t know the answer but have exactly same question. Size US 9.5D was slipping almost with every or every other step on my smaller/right foot. Size US 9 D was slipping every five steps or so. The shoes in cordovan are not stretching so a bit concerned that the lower size will never really stretch enough (tried before a wide UK 8 in calf leather and it was bad). At the same time a little concerned about the heel slippage…

slows2k

Reaction score
Been considering trying to pick up a pair of navy suede LHS for ultra casual wear, but saw a pair of navy suede unlined tassel loafers that I cant get out of my head now. Never thought of myself as a tassel loafer guy but...

Any thoughts on how casually the tassel loafers can be worn, especially in a casual color/texture, or do they always read as more formal? Further, is the stitching machine or hand; it is hard for me to tell via pics online. Some makeups seem to have a more handsewn look with what appears to be white thread, but some look like the light brown machine stitching found on the newer version of the LHS with rubber soles.

TL;DR: talk me out of/into navy suede LHS vs navy suede tassel loafers.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Been considering trying to pick up a pair of navy suede LHS for ultra casual wear, but saw a pair of navy suede unlined tassel loafers that I cant get out of my head now. Never thought of myself as a tassel loafer guy but...

Any thoughts on how casually the tassel loafers can be worn, especially in a casual color/texture, or do they always read as more formal? Further, is the stitching machine or hand; it is hard for me to tell via pics online. Some makeups seem to have a more handsewn look with what appears to be white thread, but some look like the light brown machine stitching found on the newer version of the LHS with rubber soles.

I wear LHS about 10 to 1 compared to tassels. But it sounds like the tassels are calling to you. Better get them both.

CLH03

Reaction score

I love tassels, but you can’t really beat the LHS for casual wear. I would probably get the LHS

tuna roll

Reaction score

Honestly I think both would work well. I’d get the one I like the most or (more importantly) the one that fits best, since I believe they are made in different lasts.

The tassels (assuming they are on the Aberdeen last) have a narrower tip which makes them a bit more elegant. The shape matches flannels and slacks better than jeans and chinos; the opposite goes for the LHS’ IMO.

However in navy suede they seem more casual and could work for the intended wear.

slows2k

Reaction score
The makeup I’ve eyed is on Copley, which I think is less tapered than Aberdeen. I’m gonna go look at some in person tomorrow at brogue, but I keep feeling the call of the lhs, especially since they’re getting harder to find d/t restocks being rare in the non-core colors. I think even B&M had to change their order to machine stitched because of how long the delay had been, and I really don’t care for the machine stitch on the lhs.

But these pics keep me coming back to the tassel, which is what makes it difficult. I mean, damn that looks good.

Attachments

• IMG_4643.png
    IMG_4643.png
    676.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4642.png
    IMG_4642.png
    553.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4641.png
    IMG_4641.png
    750.7 KB · Views: 54

barutanseijin

Reaction score
The makeup I’ve eyed is on Copley, which I think is less tapered than Aberdeen. I’m gonna go look at some in person tomorrow at brogue, but I keep feeling the call of the lhs, especially since they’re getting harder to find d/t restocks being rare in the non-core colors. I think even B&M had to change their order to machine stitched because of how long the delay had been, and I really don’t care for the machine stitch on the lhs.

But these pics keep me coming back to the tassel, which is what makes it difficult. I mean, damn that looks good.

I walked in to AoM last summer looking for tassels and they had a couple in my size, the eminently practical 666 and the wild, navy suede version. I knew the 666 would be easier to match but i went home with the navy suede. They grab your eyes and don’t let go.

But therein lies the problem. I have worn them with classic blue stripe seersucker and various bright summer outfits. They’d be fine with blue jeans of course, but i just don’t wear that much denim in summer. The upshot is that they haven’t got that much wear, especially compared to my LHS.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was shocked to hear that some people refer to tassels as ‘old man’ shoes as I always thought they were pretty smooth long before I could afford fine footwear. Oh well, all this talk about tassels inspired me to grab my only remaining pair, Ravello from the fine folks at AoM…….

image.jpg

A couple of things I will miss about work, the view certainly being one of them……

image.jpg

Happy Friday-eve gang!

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are methods of getting them back to their original dark color. Most members here probably wouldn't want to do so..the fade/the patina is a highly prized reward for putting the shoes to use and the effects of time. One of the complaints I've heard as to having Alden do re-soling is that they also re-color the shoe and take away the patina.
I like my color 8 dark. If I ever get Ravello I want it to stay light.

tuna roll

Reaction score
I am sure this was covered before, but as I am knew to these shoes.. Can the colour be restored sustainably closer to the initial darker shade? Or will in naturally fade and it won’t be possible.

Context is that I am looking for a very versatile ‘business casual’ shoe in the City of London where most wear black and I already own several pairs of dark brown shoes (whilst at the same time struggling to blend pure black easily with denim for my business casual).
Have any of you guys tried using Alden's color 8 cream and wax to maintain the color? I imagine it would help a bit.

Markintosh

Reaction score
I wear LHS about 10 to 1 compared to tassels. But it sounds like the tassels are calling to you. Better get them both.

I love suede - I think they are easy to take care of. I live in an area that has very little rain so I don't have to worry about them getting soiled. My favorite shoe care product is Saphir's Medaille d'or Renovateur Suede Spray - comes in different pigments - it's almond oil and a a bit of color that makes the suede look new again - it's fantastic stuff. Related to your Tassal loafers - they have contrast stitching - one problem with this spray is that you would lose the light contrast, this spray would make the light colored contrast stitch blue. I have several pairs of suede bit loafers, I have to cover the silver bit with tape while I spray them. But once done, those white splotches you get with suede as it ages goes away - the spray makes them look new again.

I think both shoes go fantastic with gray chinos or gray jeans, then paired with a matching navy shirt. I agree - buy both - you can never have too many pairs of shoes.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvid2kkrr