• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

kubalondon

Reaction score
I am sure this was covered before, but as I am knew to these shoes.. Can the colour be restored sustainably closer to the initial darker shade? Or will in naturally fade and it won’t be possible.

Context is that I am looking for a very versatile ‘business casual’ shoe in the City of London where most wear black and I already own several pairs of dark brown shoes (whilst at the same time struggling to blend pure black easily with denim for my business casual).

JTMD

Reaction score
I am sure this was covered before, but as I am knew to these shoes.. Can the colour be restored sustainably closer to the initial darker shade? Or will in naturally fade and it won’t be possible.

Context is that I am looking for a very versatile ‘business casual’ shoe in the City of London where most wear black and I already own several pairs of dark brown shoes (whilst at the same time struggling to blend pure black easily with denim for my business casual).

Yes, there are methods of getting them back to their original dark color. Most members here probably wouldn't want to do so..the fade/the patina is a highly prized reward for putting the shoes to use and the effects of time. One of the complaints I've heard as to having Alden do re-soling is that they also re-color the shoe and take away the patina.

CLH03

Reaction score
Yes, there are methods of getting them back to their original dark color. Most members here probably wouldn't want to do so..the fade/the patina is a highly prized reward for putting the shoes to use and the effects of time. One of the complaints I've heard as to having Alden do re-soling is that they also re-color the shoe and take away the patina.
If you ask them to leave the uppers alone, they will.

JTMD

Reaction score
If you ask them to leave the uppers alone, they will.

Happy to hear it. I figured as much..those mentioning it probably overlooked doing so...but that has been one of the complaints I've seen over the years. I'm considering sending a couple pairs to Alden soon. I've had my cobbler do a few pairs in the past but his prices are now hitting above $300 for resoling.. which is what it will cost me to have Alden do them at $199 and shipping costs of $100. .

Markintosh

Reaction score

Markintosh

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Alden 981 couple of weeks ago. Paid full price, they showed up with a flaw, I emailed and asked if the flaw was normal. I was told it was not and that I could return, or get a $280 credit back (so I would be paying $400 versus $680). The flaw is on the back, I don't notice it, so I kept them. I'm assuming most seconds from TSM have same type of issue, they are around $400 as well. I would have had to wait 3 months for a new pair as Alden SF was out of stock..I'm happy with them...this is what the flaw looked like.

IMG_0191.jpeg

JTMD

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Alden 981 couple of weeks ago. Paid full price, they showed up with a flaw, I emailed and asked if the flaw was normal. I was told it was not and that I could return, or get a $280 credit back (so I would be paying $400 versus $680). The flaw is on the back, I don't notice it, so I kept them. I'm assuming most seconds from TSM have same type of issue, they are around $400 as well. I would have had to wait 3 months for a new pair as Alden SF was out of stock..I'm happy with them...this is what the flaw looked like.

View attachment 2199153

I'd probably have them looking worse after a few wears. I buy my shoes for the pleasure of wearing them. I am a tall, lanky, non-graceful guy. I walk a lot. I take public transport with all types of inattentive teens and drunken clods. And the backs of my shoes are constantly threatened whenever I'm running through airports with hauling luggage behind me..

I'd enjoy the shoes at a nicely reduced cost..but if you wanted a museum piece, obviously the flaw can be distracting.

I have a pair of 2nds shell tassel loafers from AE.. cost me $199 They've been great shoes and have seen much more action than most of the $1'500 EGs in my closet..and I'm still not sure what the flaw was..

Markintosh

Reaction score
I'd probably have them looking worse after a few wears. I buy my shoes for the pleasure of wearing them. I am a tall, lanky, non-graceful guy. I walk a lot. I take public transport with all types of inattentive teens and drunken clods. And the backs of my shoes are constantly threatened whenever I'm running through airports with hauling luggage behind me..

I'd enjoy the shoes at a nicely reduced cost..but if you wanted a museum piece, obviously the flaw can be distracting.

I have a pair of 2nds shell tassel loafers from AE.. cost me $199 They've been great shoes and have seen much more action than most of the $1'500 EGs in my closet..and I'm still not sure what the flaw was..
I agree with you - this is why I kept them. I also wear all my shoes - I teach, so on my feet quite a bit, they get lots of use. The also fit perfectly - so I'm very happy with them. When I emailed AldenSF, it was really "is this normal" - I was planning on keep as is, having paid full boat. I didn't ask for the $280 discount, when he offered, of course I took him up on it...

JTMD

Reaction score
I agree with you - this is why I kept them. I also wear all my shoes - I teach, so on my feet quite a bit, they get lots of use. The also fit perfectly - so I'm very happy with them. When I emailed AldenSF, it was really "is this normal" - I was planning on keep as is, having paid full boat. I didn't ask for the $280 discount, when he offered, of course I took him up on it...

For full cost, indeed you'd want a flawless pair. And that's what you paid for. I was just pointing out that with the discount I would have kept them as well instead of sending them back. There are flaws that can be absolutely distracting and that's up to the invidual to decide. If someone considered it a highly prized purchase, I could see their disappointment with receiving such a pair. It certainly doesn't give a positive as to quality control. I'd guess even a cursory glance before shipping would have caught that?

Markintosh

Reaction score
For full cost, indeed you'd want a flawless pair. And that's what you paid for. I was just pointing out that with the discount I would have kept them as well instead of sending them back. There are flaws that can be absolutely distracting and that's up to the invidual to decide. If someone considered it a highly prized purchase, I could see their disappointment with receiving such a pair. It certainly doesn't give a positive as to quality control. I'd guess even a cursory glance before shipping would have caught that?
If the flaw in the picture had been in the middle of the vamp - I would have sent them back. But when I wear them, I can't even see it...so I consider myself lucky to get the discount.

Rhodia

Reaction score
You mentioned a page or so back that you have a high instep...but the 981 fits you well? I've read the LHS is particularly unforgiving across the instep.

Just curious since I'm trying to narrow down what Alden lasts (and loafers) might fit my high instep and high arch feet.

bestsandwichever

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I purchased a LHS penny loafer (986) this year at the san francisco store, and I have worn the shoe only a few times since then.
And I have noticed recently on the left pair, there is a cut on the strap piece where the top panel and the side panel meets (please look at the attached image). Looking at the sharpness of the tear I doubt that this is something caused while wearing, I suspect that this cut was there when I first got the shoe and I failed to notice until I actually wear it so that my instep puts stress on strap panel and expands this tear a bit. Unfortunately I picked a different shoe than the one I actually tried at the shop to be shipped to my home..

Anyways given that this is the part that gets stress while being worn, I am worried that the tear would get larger and larger if I keep wearing it, so I would like to find out the way to fix this (since it has been more than 90 days and I did wear this shoe several times, it is not eligible for exchange at the Alden shop, I am going to reach out to them anyways). Could anyone please suggest any ways to get this repaired?

Attachments

• IMG_4896.JPEG
    IMG_4896.JPEG
    143 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

CLH03

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I purchased a LHS penny loafer (986) this year at the san francisco store, and I have worn the shoe only a few times since then.
And I have noticed recently on the left pair, there is a cut on the strap piece where the top panel and the side panel meets (please look at the attached image). Looking at the sharpness of the tear I doubt that this is something caused while wearing, I suspect that this cut was there when I first got the shoe and I failed to notice until I actually wear it so that my instep puts stress on strap panel and expands this tear a bit. Unfortunately I picked a different shoe than the one I actually tried at the shop to be shipped to my home..

Anyways given that this is the part that gets stress while being worn, I am worried that the tear would get larger and larger if I keep wearing it, so I would like to find out the way to fix this (since it has been more than 90 days and I did wear this shoe several times, it is not eligible for exchange at the Alden shop, I am going to reach out to them anyways). Could anyone please suggest any ways to get this repaired?

Generally it is pretty unfortunate because I really like the design as well as the leather, but the overall build quality is pretty poor considering the price of the shoe.. aside from this cut the stitches are pretty uneven and the finishes are not well done. I would put up with cosmetic problems but this issue that I'm seeing seems structural..
Reach out to Alden or the retailer you got it from

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy to hear it. I figured as much..those mentioning it probably overlooked doing so...but that has been one of the complaints I've seen over the years. I'm considering sending a couple pairs to Alden soon. I've had my cobbler do a few pairs in the past but his prices are now hitting above $300 for resoling.. which is what it will cost me to have Alden do them at $199 and shipping costs of $100. .

Ilove Alden’s recraft service and have used it many times. While I have heard mixed stories on this, both times I left a note to ignore the uppers, they complied.

View attachment 2199153

This would not bother me at all, even at full price. The fact that they took a significant amount off of the price is even better. Definitely keepers in my book.

Hello everyone,

Generally it is pretty unfortunate because I really like the design as well as the leather, but the overall build quality is pretty poor considering the price of the shoe.. aside from this cut the stitches are pretty uneven and the finishes are not well done. I would put up with cosmetic problems but this issue that I'm seeing seems structural..

‘Agree with @CLH03, either the retailer or Alden will make this right. Also agree with your assessment that it will only get worse over time.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shaughnessyrodney