• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtip.416

Reaction score
Alden Indys.

14297C26-092D-49E9-893C-D209F8370B4C.jpeg

C060FF7C-1B2C-4950-BAF9-1B922B7347E6.jpeg

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden #404 is a stock model Indy boot with full lugs outsole.
Yes, but only in Kudu. And, I think the sole is 1 piece (i.e. not a separate heel stack).

Last edited:

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something I've noticed over the years that I find interesting is where rare shell makeups tend to come from, in terms of which retailers. Brogue has got to be a top tier alden retailer but I don't think I've ever seen rare shell from them. I don't see much from Leffot, either, tho maybe they both do sell some but they never pop up here. B&M seems to sell a ton, as does Shoemart. Any insight as to how these seem to be divvied up?
From my observation, rare shell runs are quite frequent across the entire Alden dealer spectrum, however, QAC and allocation impact the number of pairs (less than a FSR) that those shops get. Sometimes their best customers' size gets flagged for QAC issues, thus missing out on a make-up (I can speak on this as this happened to me on 3 rare shell make-ups).

Also, just cause it isn't posted here on SF doesn't mean they aren't being produced. SF is just a small population of Alden enthusiasts. I would bet the FB group has many more active/contributing members than here. We've seen this with the AE group where their grassroots web liaison left SF for FB just cause they are able to reach more customers that way.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is so sad to see that EU retails are getting only 5735F from what I have seen so far this season and 6243F seems now reserved only for US and Asians markets. The conclusion from what I was told - they don't have enough skilled workers for LHS models to keep up with the demand.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
It is so sad to see that EU retails are getting only 5735F from what I have seen so far this season and 6243F seems now reserved only for US and Asians markets. The conclusion from what I was told - they don't have enough skilled workers for LHS models to keep up with the demand.

5735F?

lcdx22

Reaction score
exactly like the model I attached (shell, trubalance, 360 antique split welt, commando sole) the only difference is I want speed hooks, I have looked everywhere and I see no retailor do it. The model I attached is by the shoemart

Yes Pelle Line has the make up. They're also cool as they do the 2x2 heel stitch instead of the typical Indy stitch across the quarter.

Edit: nevermind this one is storm welt....

Luscombe

Reaction score
"Let's Continue..." wearing my Alden Indys for years to come...

What does Steve say? “It’s not a repair; it’s a restoration.”

Steve from Bedo's Leatherworks recently restored my Alden 405 Indy boots—correction: he elevated these to a new level of excellence with his meticulous attention and decades of expertise.

These were my first Aldens, so obviously they hold a certain planet’s weight of memories for me. I purchased these in 2018 and wore them as my GADA (“Go Anywhere / Do Anything”) boots until the welt blew out and the heel started to separate (270 degree construction).

I’ve read horror stories of people sending problematic boots back to Alden (Wonka’s Factory) in Middleboro, MA only to have their items confiscated and replaced—I don’t want a new pair of boots; I want my boots.

I sent these to Steve in January 2023. He called me the day that they arrived to discuss particulars and review my plans for the restoration. Along the way, he kept in contact to update me on progress (including one phone call in which I asked for a minor adjustment to the plan—no problem). Steve converted the 270-degree welt to 360, added a leather midsole, installed Vibram 100 lug soles, and completely re-finished the uppers. Job was completed in June 2023. Is this a “long time”? I guess that’s relative. As a 10eee, if I want any special Alden make-ups, I’m waiting 9-12 months anyway…

Some notes: if the welt hadn’t have blown out, I may have opted just for a re-heeling / heel repair as the neocork was still surprisingly robust after 4 years of hard wear and tear. But, I used this as an opportunity for a conversion that I’ve rarely seen—an Indy with “real” lugs and not just a commando-style sole. (That is, outside of 1 or 2 fellow posters on styleforum and on the GYW subreddit and the “all terrain” Indy models that are occasionally run.)

Admittedly, I’m biased because I am a longtime fan of his YouTube channel. If you are, too, then you should know the deal: if you want cheap and fast—go somewhere else. If you have a sentimental item that you want to keep for years to come, then consider having the professional’s professional take care of you. Thank you, Steve.

View attachment 1970191 View attachment 1970193 View attachment 1970195 View attachment 1970197 View attachment 1970199 View attachment 1970201
How do these soles compare to the Neocork for comfort?
I have my original Indy's and will need a refurb at some point. I really like the Neocork comfort and my experience with Vibrams soles is they seem very stiff.
Thanks for posting.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do these soles compare to the Neocork for comfort?
I have my original Indy's and will need a refurb at some point. I really like the Neocork comfort and my experience with Vibrams soles is they seem very stiff.
Thanks for posting.
They haven’t arrived yet, but I will update end of week.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads