• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy split toe Tuesday.

IMG_2693.jpg

blue123

Reaction score
So I know these are shoes and meant to be worn. I’ve beaten up a lot of my shoes by normal wear and tear. I still take care of them with shoe trees and general polishing etc. I also like the worn in look that patina gives them.

I just picked up my first pair of Alden’s with commando soles. In one of my first time wearing them I hit the rubber part of the front of the sole on a bit of the brick road. I quickly looked down and saw some of the rubber chipped off. It wasn’t even that hard.

How is the durability of Alden commando soles in general? Do they get chewed up pretty easily?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the durability of Alden commando soles in general? Do they get chewed up pretty easily?
I’ve posted my general disdain for them in the past and wish most vendors would stop using it in the majority of special make ups… the biggest issue is the sole delaminating once some of the outsole stitching wears. This happens especially at the toe where there’s simply a piece of foam attached to the sole.

I end up getting boots that have commando as default resoled by someone else when the time comes.

blue123

Reaction score
I’ve posted my general disdain for them in the past and wish most vendors would stop using it in the majority of special make ups… the biggest issue is the sole delaminating once some of the outsole stitching wears. This happens especially at the toe where there’s simply a piece of foam attached to the sole.

I end up getting boots that have commando as default resoled by someone else when the time comes.

Interesting, I would have thought for the money they would use better quality. I have Wolverine boots that I can kick the side of a building with and no damage. I would think Alden would be above them in durability. The upper on the boot is fantastic though so at least the most important area matters.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I would have thought for the money they would use better quality. I have Wolverine boots that I can kick the side of a building with and no damage. I would think Alden would be above them in durability. The upper on the boot is fantastic though so at least the most important area matters.
I would say Alden are comfortable hand-made, sturdy, fit-focused, style boots but wolverine is going to be less comfortable, more sturdy, generic-fit, work-boots. Probably steel toed too?

blue123

Reaction score
I would say Alden are comfortable hand-made, sturdy, fit-focused, style boots but wolverine is going to be less comfortable, more sturdy, generic-fit, work-boots. Probably steel toed too?
They are the 1000 mile boots and I agree different class. But I find them extremely comfortable too.

WBSM-W990076-010820-S20-045.jpeg

Alden's fit my feet perfectly as well. I think out of all shoes I have tried, AEs were the worst for me for some reason. My feet actually hurt after wearing anything in my size or any variation of my size. (I.E. larger smaller etc)

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the reason for the wear/durability issues are a combination of how the soles are attached and the desire to keep it as low profile as possible. So it is what it is, but it’s my least favorite sole they offer. I’d much prefer something like a vibram 700 half sole which is still low profile and probably similar traction as Alden’s commando lugs are shallow to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads