• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoetree

Reaction score
5B9D8390-635D-4B39-8829-A3F94613F654.jpeg

990c

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just want to say I really enjoy these recent pics of Color Cigar-Eight (obviously not to be confused with Cigarette)

Really a beautiful shade!

closetoyou

Reaction score
Hello all, I just picked up my first pair of Alden’s and I’m having some trouble with the sizing/fitting.

I got the 986 shell cordovan loafers in size 6.5D and was hoping to wear these without socks. They fit ok in the toe area but there is too much room left on the back which causes slippage and blisters. If I wear socks with these, the toes feel too tight and uncomfortable so I’m thinking the only way to make with work is to make the heel side of the loafers fit better.

• I’ve tried adding 3/4 insoles, but that made the whole fit too tight.
  • Heel pads didn’t make it tight enough as it kept slipping (yet it hurt less with the pads).
  • Tongue pads, not tight enough.

I’ve read that the slippage gets better with wear with the Van last, but it’s been about a week and I still have no luck. I’m maybe thinking it’s because they were secondhand, the leather is already stretched out to fit another feet?

I normally wear 7E in dress shoes, 7.5 in Converse, and 8 in Nikes for reference.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DG123

Reaction score
Hello all, I just picked up my first pair of Alden’s and I’m having some trouble with the sizing/fitting.

I got the 986 shell cordovan loafers in size 6.5D and was hoping to wear these without socks. They fit ok in the toe area but there is too much room left on the back which causes slippage and blisters. If I wear socks with these, the toes feel too tight and uncomfortable so I’m thinking the only way to make with work is to make the heel side of the loafers fit better.

• I’ve tried adding 3/4 insoles, but that made the whole fit too tight.
  • Heel pads didn’t make it tight enough as it kept slipping (yet it hurt less with the pads).
  • Tongue pads, not tight enough.

I’ve read that the slippage gets better with wear with the Van last, but it’s been about a week and I still have no luck. I’m maybe thinking it’s because they were secondhand, the leather is already stretched out to fit another feet?

I normally wear 7E in dress shoes, 7.5 in Converse, and 8 in Nikes for reference.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
I expect that for that model loafer 7C or perhaps 7.5B will provide you with your best fit.

CLH03

Reaction score
I expect that for that model loafer 7C or perhaps 7.5B will provide you with your best fit.
Yup, sometimes going up in length and down in width can fix a problem like this. I have zero experience or knowledge when it comes to converse and such, so can't really provide too much help here. Some people's feet just don't work with van last.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum pals.

IMG_2686.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads