• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLH03

Reaction score
Some navy unlined suede today. So crazy comfortable.
IMG_0033.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been on the road for 10 days with the same pair of shoes. Happy to get home and wear something different.

IMG_2682.jpg

wilco

Reaction score
Could use some help on loafer sizing. I have low volume feet - narrow heels and low instep in particular relative to the length - that make loafers difficult to size. Basically, any shoe that is long enough is going to be too big in almost every other dimension. This isn't too much of an issue with anything that I can tighten with laces, but makes loafers tricky. I have a pair of Oak Street loafers (9D) that have four layers of tongue pads and a heel pad and then only with socks can I get by without too much heel slippage.

I had my feet measured with a Volumental scanner at a running shop (which is pretty cool), and it showed me that I wasn't crazy in feeling that I was having a hard time finding a loafer.

I've attached the results of that scan. If anyone here has enough knowledge to deduce what size would work best, I would very much appreciate it. I like the LHS suede loafer (I think it is good for low insteps?), but I guess if there's a better option out there, I'm open to something else if it would work better.

Thanks

Attachments

• footsize.png
    footsize.png
    263.3 KB · Views: 95

slows2k

Reaction score
Now that the pavement has dried in Seattle, I had the opportunity to take my leather-soled cigar captoes out for a spin. These were another exception to my "enjoy what's in your closet" resolution last year, but in my defense the seller made me an offer I couldn't refuse. In the right light the olive undertones really come out, and you can sort of see a hint of old bronze in there.

View attachment 1922231
View attachment 1922233

These are exceptional. I have the same boot from B&M in color 8, and they hit every high perfectly. Sometimes simple is best. Someday I would like them in this color, too.

serbarristan

Reaction score
Could use some help on loafer sizing. I have low volume feet - narrow heels and low instep in particular relative to the length - that make loafers difficult to size. Basically, any shoe that is long enough is going to be too big in almost every other dimension. This isn't too much of an issue with anything that I can tighten with laces, but makes loafers tricky. I have a pair of Oak Street loafers (9D) that have four layers of tongue pads and a heel pad and then only with socks can I get by without too much heel slippage.

I had my feet measured with a Volumental scanner at a running shop (which is pretty cool), and it showed me that I wasn't crazy in feeling that I was having a hard time finding a loafer.

I've attached the results of that scan. If anyone here has enough knowledge to deduce what size would work best, I would very much appreciate it. I like the LHS suede loafer (I think it is good for low insteps?), but I guess if there's a better option out there, I'm open to something else if it would work better.

Thanks
Similar situation with narrow heel and low instep. I once tried a handful of sizes and widths of the snuff LHS at Alden SF and was told the last does not work for me. I’ve tried and failed on loafers too many times, moved on to mostly boots and bluchers because fit is king. No need to force it.

CLH03

Reaction score

Thanks
Van last can be tricky. I have pretty similair feet as yours, low instep, narrow heel, etc. I have tried multiple different sizes in van, and found that 9C works pretty well (I am a low volume 9.5D on brannock.) While initially slightly snug in the instep, the suede loosens up nicely.

I also have a pair of copley last loafers that I took a 9.5C in, and again, were initally snug, but the suede loosened up nicely, and are what I would call a perfect for my preferences. For reference, I comfortably wear barrie 9D, trubalance 9D, and aberdeen 9.5D. I have tried 9c in barrie and trubalance, and both were too tight. Take this however you want - just throwing my 2 cents in. The best bet is to visit a local shop and try them on.

DG123

Reaction score

Thanks
I expect that an Alden loafer size 10B will provide you a proper fit.

barutanseijin

Reaction score

Thanks

My advice would be to be flexible with formulas and what ought to work and try some different sizes and widths at a retailer. I was surprised to find that Plaza loafers work for me in my LHS size. (One is supposed to go up a 1/2 size). True to size rarely works for me due to my flat and bony feet. I usually size down and go up in width.

Also, different materials and construction will affect the feel. The suede and unlined loafers in cxl and shell are more comfortable, at least for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads