• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtip.416

Reaction score
Cigar Cap Toe. Grant Last. 🤎

5818321D-B304-48FA-B4FE-5818D80CCEAD.jpeg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Saturday gang. MV of my AoM Chukka’s…….

View attachment 1920997 View attachment 1920999

Edit - have had these on for about an hour and I gotta say, I really miss the 3rd eye. It has been years since I’ve had an Alden Chukka and have been wearing the heck out of my 3-eyes Vibergs. The difference is almost instantly noticeable. Fit feels a little sloppy (though that’s probably a bit harsh). A casual boot so it’s all good. Just unexpected.

Always feels strange quoting my own post and fair warning, this post is as much about non-Alden stuff as it is about Alden. First, while I do like 3-eyes better, I am completely fine with 2-eyes. Re-tied the laces and pulled them tighter (much though not uncomfortably tighter) and the foot movement went away. Here's an outdoor shot at the Frick Center with the laces re-tied.........

20230318_C8Chukka3.jpg

Man, I do love how C8, particularly plain toes, just glow when outdoors even in moderate sunlight. And when the fit is right, they crease perfectly.

Ok, this is where the post deviates from Alden. For those who have spent any meaningful time in Pittsburgh you likely know that the Frick Center is one of those hidden jewels that make this city so livable. It is a mansion that sits in the eastern part of the city (Point Breeze/Homewood/Squirrel Hill) that has been converted into an art gallery, huge display of plants and flowers, coffee shop, gift center, ice skating rink and likely other amenities that I have yet to discover. And it's free. I tend to focus on the artwork as many of the rugs, pictures, etc. on display focus on the history of Pittsburgh and features, the Fricks, Mellons, Carnegie's and my personal favorite, George Westinghouse. So I'm in the Gift Shop and there is a sitting area modeled after a small library with books, charging stations, etc. I noticed this book about handmade footwear and decided to take some time and browse/read through it.........

20230318_C8ChukkaDelete.jpg

Now this book has been sitting on my BM ottoman for roughly 6-9 months and I have yet to open it. But seeing it yesterday, and needing some time to unwind, I decided to give it a read. Learning about the history of handmade shoes took me through a fascinating journey and while it will likely not stop me from voicing my occasional frustration with defects, it certainly gives me a higher sense of appreciation for the skill and labor of love of those who are a part of making my footwear. I expected to spend 5-10 perusing the pictures. 45 minutes later, I had to make myself put it down.

Recommended reading if you have the time.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Impeccable vamp crease as always! I thought you recycled old photos, but maybe I am mistaken?

I took that photo on Friday. I just haven't worn those other than try ons yet. They will get their actual wear the next time that I wear them. I usually wear new pairs twice for a few to let them settle on my feet better...

-Mike

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took that photo on Friday. I just haven't worn those other than try ons yet. They will get their actual wear the next time that I wear them. I usually wear new pairs twice for a few to let them settle on my feet better...

-Mike
Would love to hear more about your shoe care routine! I would love for my shoes to look like yours! Even your lacing is a thing of beauty!

marinemustang

Reaction score
These just in from Aldens NYC.
Size 10.5B
The Shaking Boot
Tobacco Smooth Chamois
D2817HC
https://aldenmadison.com/collection/shakingboot/
It says Barrie last but it fits like a Trubalance. It is wider than the same size Barrie last on my Shell Indy's.

These might be the most comfortable Aldens I have.
Received mine last week and I agree with you 100% on the comfort! Amazing!!!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried having a third hole (professionally) punched for some added security?
Someone on here has. I remember reading about it a few years ago. I think it went ok

Webbo

Reaction score
Always feels strange quoting my own post and fair warning, this post is as much about non-Alden stuff as it is about Alden. First, while I do like 3-eyes better, I am completely fine with 2-eyes. Re-tied the laces and pulled them tighter (much though not uncomfortably tighter) and the foot movement went away. Here's an outdoor shot at the Frick Center with the laces re-tied.........

View attachment 1921817

Man, I do love how C8, particularly plain toes, just glow when outdoors even in moderate sunlight. And when the fit is right, they crease perfectly.

Ok, this is where the post deviates from Alden. For those who have spent any meaningful time in Pittsburgh you likely know that the Frick Center is one of those hidden jewels that make this city so livable. It is a mansion that sits in the eastern part of the city (Point Breeze/Homewood/Squirrel Hill) that has been converted into an art gallery, huge display of plants and flowers, coffee shop, gift center, ice skating rink and likely other amenities that I have yet to discover. And it's free. I tend to focus on the artwork as many of the rugs, pictures, etc. on display focus on the history of Pittsburgh and features, the Fricks, Mellons, Carnegie's and my personal favorite, George Westinghouse. So I'm in the Gift Shop and there is a sitting area modeled after a small library with books, charging stations, etc. I noticed this book about handmade footwear and decided to take some time and browse/read through it.........

View attachment 1921819

Now this book has been sitting on my BM ottoman for roughly 6-9 months and I have yet to open it. But seeing it yesterday, and needing some time to unwind, I decided to give it a read. Learning about the history of handmade shoes took me through a fascinating journey and while it will likely not stop me from voicing my occasional frustration with defects, it certainly gives me a higher sense of appreciation for the skill and labor of love of those who are a part of making my footwear. I expected to spend 5-10 perusing the pictures. 45 minutes later, I had to make myself put it down.

Recommended reading if you have the time.
As an Englishman who loves both Vass and Pittsburgh this is a great post. Respect !

Norwester

Reaction score
Now that the pavement has dried in Seattle, I had the opportunity to take my leather-soled cigar captoes out for a spin. These were another exception to my "enjoy what's in your closet" resolution last year, but in my defense the seller made me an offer I couldn't refuse. In the right light the olive undertones really come out, and you can sort of see a hint of old bronze in there.

CigarCap1.jpg

CIgarCap2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads