• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At what point do you just say no?
EA074940-717C-4CB2-8507-39848294DE3D.jpeg

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are my end-game Aldens. Once I get those, I'm out of the game!

It's an excellent choice for an end-game boot, I know exactly what you mean. I really wanted a pair of cigar Indys on neocork, but I'm an odd size (7EEE) and for those of us with odd sizes, rare shell colors like cigar are very, very hard to get. So when Alden of Madison did a pre-order of the #8 Indys I ordered a pair, figuring that #8 it is as close as I am likely to get to cigar. #8 was my second choice though. But when the boots arrived they were fantastic, so much so that I lost all interest in cigar. They really are fantastic boots, just beautiful, and the neocork sole looks really good with antique edges, very refined. Super comfortable too. They are great boots, I hope you get yours soon!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question on sizing, anyone go down 1/2 size from Barrie to TB? I was surprised at the difference in volume from my TB boots when compared to my Barrie.

branpureza

Reaction score
Quick question on sizing, anyone go down 1/2 size from Barrie to TB? I was surprised at the difference in volume from my TB boots when compared to my Barrie.

I think 9 out of 10 take the same size in both. I've seen a couple people do a different width but they are def the exception.

GGMac

Reaction score
It’s a conundrum for me. Barrie is longer and TB is wider but I generally wear the same size in both…which ideally is 1 width narrower than my plaza or Aberdeen size… though 1/2 size down works as well but is less than ideal.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go down on width from Barrie to TB. Feel like the volume is a little less when I do that, but the TB does not feel sloppy at all compared to same width as Barrie.

I also go down a width on Barrie for shoes compared with my boots. That's because I wear dress socks with my dress shoes and boot socks with my boots.

I've never tried going down a half size from Barrie (full size from Brannock), but I have heard of people doing that, granted not very many.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do it. Especially for boots. This is the only variance I have with Alden from standard sizing advice.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I go down a width, too.

quaranteneuf

Reaction score
It's an excellent choice for an end-game boot, I know exactly what you mean. I really wanted a pair of cigar Indys on neocork, but I'm an odd size (7EEE) and for those of us with odd sizes, rare shell colors like cigar are very, very hard to get. So when Alden of Madison did a pre-order of the #8 Indys I ordered a pair, figuring that #8 it is as close as I am likely to get to cigar. #8 was my second choice though. But when the boots arrived they were fantastic, so much so that I lost all interest in cigar. They really are fantastic boots, just beautiful, and the neocork sole looks really good with antique edges, very refined. Super comfortable too. They are great boots, I hope you get yours soon!

Looks like 'early 2024' according to Alden of Madison, which means I can save my pennies for the inevitable price increase.

DG123

Reaction score
I tried that and it did not work out too well. That is a 12.5B TB Indy Boot is a good fit but the 12B Barrie lasted 947 All Weather Walker was too tight at the forefoot.
* I've never tried a Barrie lasted boot which might have a bit more volume than a shoe does.

Last edited:

Olof69

Reaction score
I can wear shell LWB which is on Barrie in the same size as TB. It is snug but not uncomfortable.
I can not squeeze myself in Barrie lasted boots and some other shoes in the same size as TB because of its narrow instep, need to go half a size up. Maybe next width would work as well, but I have not tried this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads