• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sven_figerboots

Reaction score
Surprisingly it doesn’t feel too bad. And it was definitely my own fault. Just a creature of habit I guess but when wearing denim I am generally reaching for boots and thicker socks. Grabbed some cushy socks and the unlined are so dang comfy that I just kept moving. The pressure on an older pair of well-fitting shoes caused by thick socks was just too much I guess.

It seems like the volume of Alden QC issues continues to rise but this one’s on me.
I feel sorry for you, sir. You must like the penny so much. Lessons learned: Always keep a bit roomy inside?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel sorry for you, sir. You must like the penny so much. Lessons learned: Always keep a bit roomy inside?

Maybe, but they fit so good and we’re so very comfy. Extra room can sometimes feel a little sloppy. Just gotta be smarter, or at least more careful.

bemk

Reaction score
Jumpin' into the weekend:

230211_17011_Alden-Jumper-Boots.jpg

230211_17037_Alden-Jumper-Boots.jpg

@M635Guy 🍺
Edit: Btw, I gave these Jumper lots of TLC, here's a picture showing how I had received them: #369

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man.

Steve might be able to repair this. Want me to reach out to him?

Actually I think I might be good. Aram said this would be a layup (I’m paraphrasing of course). Typical Aram, he described in detail what he would do and without getting into the weeds, it would start on the inside before stitching the exterior. Just dropped the shoe off at the PO.

Definitely appreciate the offer. Thanks.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, originally I wanted to proudly show you my 2nd pair of Alden Shells after giving them some TLC, but I had some bad luck with these. They are 2nd hand.

When they came I instantly noticed, that the stitching on the rear upper at the back inside was pretty loose and I can see from how the leather has rolled, that it should originate from someone getting in and out of the boots without having them unlaced sufficiently:

View attachment 1892677

On the pictures I got, that part was out of focus and the seller answered that it hadn't been apparent to him upon inspection. They were in "excellent condition" he said, "7/10" he said.

Okay, my cobbler can fix it easily and so today I cleaned them, which was badly needed and treated them with Cordovan Creme as they were quite dry:

View attachment 1892681

Upon arrival I had only slipped into them shortly to get a feeling for how much the sole was moulded and had put them aside as I was waiting for delivery of the care products.
Then I finally mounted a new pair of original laces, which I had ordered for them and got into them and laced them up for the first time.

And when I reached the first speed-hooks, I didn't want to believe my eyes:

View attachment 1892679

This is even worse when fully laced.
I looked again at the pictures the seller had sent and the only halfway-frontal picture was cut off at that area, the others were from an angle which doesn't show the asymmetry, which - I bet - surely also wasn't apparent to him upon inspection and when lacing and wearing them.

Two days ago I had been a bit frustrated after unboxing them, today I wanted to find joy with them after giving them a fine treatment and now this. I will put them up on a local site for classifieds and enjoy my Cap Toe Color 8 Boots, which I had shown here a few days ago, until I find a nice Alden Shell edition, which matches my wishes. A new pair, I mean.
Is there an R stamped on the interior of the boots, or on the sole?

bemk

Reaction score
Is there an R stamped on the interior of the boots, or on the sole?

No, no R-stamp for rejects.

Do you have an idea, when this model was introduced? According to the writing inside they were made in any year ending with a 0.

GGMac

Reaction score
No, no R-stamp for rejects.

Do you have an idea, when this model was introduced? According to the writing inside they were made in any year ending with a 0.
Those are regularly run by Alden of Madison. I’m guessing those are a 2020 Vintage.

htimsdj

Reaction score
In light of the cracked shell we recently saw posted, what is your method of long term care for the shell you are hoarding. Come on, you know you are hoarding. I’m not telling you how many pairs of unlined BB LHS I have 😂

I use Bick 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy